Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear.

I still have that Tesla itch.

SWMBO is still against the idea but has been worn down by my constant whining.

So I did a PX request on the Kona with Tesla and they are offering a massive £36k for our car so it will cost just £5k to upgrade to a brand new M3 SR+

Was expecting a lowball offer that I could laugh off. Now I am in a situation.

Do I jump and lose the HUD and Cooled Seats and extra range. But scratch my Tesla itch. Or stay and forever wonder if it would have been greener on the Tesla side of the fence..

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
Or get a HUD for Tesla:

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long will the Tesla warranty last at your mileage? You have to weigh that up against 5 years unlimited miles...
Yep that's a good point 60k isn't it on the Tesla so would be done in under 2 years. But the drivetrain and battery is longer than that. Just the bits that are going to fall off or snap that worries me :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I haven't driven a Kona, but I had a Leaf 24 before the SR+.

In reading many of your very informative posts over the years here, I've often thought that the 3SR+ is the car for you from a charging performance standpoint. Having widespread (and rapidly growing) HPC for the 3SR+ makes it phenomenally good for long distances. I did a 5%-70% charge at Tebay in 20 minutes. That's enough for the next 150 miles of driving - and that was "only" a 120kW supercharger.

You might find you also save some money on charging, as Supercharger is notably cheaper than the likes of Instavolt and Ionity. Referrals may save you a little more (given your level of engagement with the EV community, I would imagine you'd achieve a steady stream of them).

My experience with model 3 is good, but I'm nothing like as high-mileage as you of course. Nothing has "broken or snapped" on our SR+ - only some initial quality faults that were fixed without issue.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,206 Posts
Yep that's a good point 60k isn't it on the Tesla so would be done in under 2 years. But the drivetrain and battery is longer than that. Just the bits that are going to fall off or snap that worries me :)
I've had the itch and switched a few times. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. You never know which it will be until it's too late!

Have you driven a model 3 for any length of time? I'd hire one and have it for a couple of days and make sure it's comfortable. If you've already done that then it just becomes about getting the best deal you can.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Have a look at the youtube channel EV James And Kate. They have had a terrible experience with their model 3 for some comparisson.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You’ll regret it IMO. Build quality and reliability aren’t comparable at all.

I find my MG much better in many ways than my old Model 3 - that should tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My advice for what it's worth is make 2 lists, for and against for each car. That's what I did and then added up the for and against. For my particuar situation, the Kona won. Some of the reasons were:
Tesla:
Pros: Love the sentry mode idea. Love the charging map on the screen. Love the supercharger network. More room in the back.
Cons: I don't need to go from 0 to 60 at warp 6. Less range than the Kona, and more expensive. Lots of gimmicky gadgets that I don't really need. The wife would do her nut if she had to use a touch screen to get into HER glovebox. The nearest Tesla service centre is 20 miles away in Bristol. Tesla are very possesive of their vehicles, even though YOU own it. Long wait if parts need to come from America.
Kona:
Pros: Less expensive. Longer range. Reasonable acceleration for what I need. Local service centre. UK stockists for parts. Good tech for the money. Tailgate rather than a boot.
Cons: Less room in the back, (although my 6 foot+ son hasn't complained.) No sentry mode (made my own with a 360 camera).

This doesn't mean I won't do another list when the Model Y hits the UK shores. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think the warranty is 4 years/50k, so you'll get through that pretty quick.

There are warranty extensions (expensive) for S and X, but the 3 is not old enough yet to see if these will be offered!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Oh dear.

My SWMBO was worn down and is now being won over; I can tell her opinion is changing from her increasing interest in key functions (and her poorly hidden grin when she floored it for the first time).

Our almost-3-year-old Daughter absolutely loves the M3.

"Are we going in daddy's new car?"

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
322 Posts
You guys should watch Mr EV´s channel and then specifically the episode in which Mrs EV takes a test drive in a Model 3. And destroys it. You see Andrew squirm and trying to object but with female charm and persistence I think she effectively shattered his dream of ever owning a M3 into a million bits of disillusion. It´s not only hilarious to watch, but she makes some good points too (´who´sa gonna watcha a film in da car-a? Eez it a car or a sinnema´?).

·
Registered
571 Posts
You guys should watch Mr EV´s channel and then specifically the episode in which Mrs EV takes a test drive in a Model 3. And destroys it. You see Andrew squirm and trying to object but with female charm and persistence I think she effectively shattered his dream of ever owning a M3 into a million bits of disillusion. It´s not only hilarious to watch, but she makes some good points too (´who´sa gonna watcha a film in da car-a? Eez it a car or a sinnema´?).
link? :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh dear.

So I did a PX request on the Kona with Tesla and they are offering a massive £36k for our car so it will cost just £5k to upgrade to a brand new M3 SR+

Was expecting a lowball offer that I could laugh off. Now I am in a situation.

Do I jump and lose the HUD and Cooled Seats and extra range. But scratch my Tesla itch. Or stay and forever wonder if it would have been greener on the Tesla side of the fence..
You will miss the Hyundai build quality.
The Tesla will get a lot more attention on the road (which I didn't like). But it's a Tesla - an enjoyable experience time every time

Reactions: TJEV and stageshoot
1 - 20 of 275 Posts