Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

well, all the rumours about the e-UP being discontinued seem to be either "reversed" or "less than true"......at least for permanent decisions.

I was contacted this week here by VW France and just put my order in last night for a version 2.0 model with all the options (build to order) with a delivery date of February 2021.

I am not sure what to make of it. Because I heard from VW themselves the car was not going to be produced anymore. I also was told the delivery times on the units they "had orders for" in early 2020 have lead times of 14 months (2022). So, "something" must have happened. Maybe they increased production somehow....maybe they need more "numbers" of deliveries to meet internal goals? Who knows...

Whatever it is....if you are looking for an e-UP, you might want to check with VW in your region. But the orders are open right now here in France. This will be my 3rd e-UP and we took 3 years warranty on top. That should put us into 2024 and by then I would think EVs in the EU will be fairly commonplace...with many options for urban dwellers like us.

Have a great holiday!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think sometimes the confusion comes from the number of order "slots" located to each country at the factory - so you could be in a position where all the UK "slots" are spoken for at the factory but some of those allocated to say VW France are still available. I think it's likely that the 2022 date is the planned end of production for e-Up and the production up to that date is now or soon will be allocated to brands, VW, SEAT and SKODA and by them to the distributors in the different countries that the car is sold in. So you may still be able to order one in some places but in others not. I'm in the UK and did worked at a dealership in the past - back then, I think that the best way of thinking of it was that VW the factory doesn't so much see the individual as their customer or even the suppling dealer but see the importer as the customer, in my case VW UK - that is who places the order with the factory and that who has to say (in discussion with the factory) in advance how many cars they will take for that market often a long time in advance. If VW UK commits to take 20,000 Polo's for 2021 for example they have to take them either for customer orders or to pre-register for themselves and sell as nearly new or bung into hire fleets.
As I say it may all have changed now, or be changing as they go for a more direct Tesla style model but that may account for the differences you point out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think sometimes the confusion comes from the number of order "slots" located to each country at the factory - so you could be in a position where all the UK "slots" are spoken for at the factory but some of those allocated to say VW France are still available.
Probably you are right. For sure I can say that there are several differences in the countries.

- I was able to see on the configuration tools "VW Website" the options for Germany, UK, and France are quite different. I recall the UK had the least amount of options.

- When I was looking around in the Fench inventory of the dealers here in France, there were some "demo" models that had sunroofs. But they had no options inside the car like speakers or heated seats. Apparently just to use for the wow factor in the showrooms.

I am fairly happy with the VW. But, too bad that VW does not follow the clients is one issue that bothers me. Also, their software is not up to the mark. Not just in the EV's but I drove a rental A8 Audi recently and it was a fight with the car for 2h on a trip. The lane assist is nerve-wracking and the cruise control would slam the brakes quite often when we passed an exit on the freeway. Ostensibly it was seeing the new speed limit.

I see a lot of talk on the software "making" Tesla what it is. But I think it is also their leader is visible and active in the company. Who is the CEO of VW?? The last time I saw him talking in a show about EVs he revealed he was driving a diesel and was "thinking to switch to an EV".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts