Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have to admit that I do not take much interest in politics.
Trump passed the 10,000 lies mark (New York Times) recently.
I listened to Boris and thought "he'll never get the leadership".
My sister quotes:-
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Trump got in because of the apathy of the people assuming an incompetent, racist, sexual pervert would never get in.
The Brexit vote was another shock, and I am ashamed to say I did not vote!!
In recent times with Global warming and a collection of dangerous dictators throughout the world, maybe it is time to take a stand before it is too late??
Maybe it is already too late??

·
Registered
535 Posts
Given the timing of this, it's more like Boris wanted to guarantee MP holidays, because the "closed" period neatly covers Party Conference season.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It's very smart move, although it looks like 3 less day, becuase it splits the time in two any not complete by closure needs to start all over again.

Its a classic "wot me?" Tactic.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a move of devilish cunning. It has the mark of Demonic Cummings all over it...
B: Don’t worry Mr B., I have a cunning plan to solve the problem.
E: Yes Baldrick, let us not forget that you tried to solve the problem of your mother’s low ceiling by cutting off her head.

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Trump got in because of the apathy of the people assuming an incompetent, racist, sexual pervert would never get in.
No. He got in because too many people would never vote for a Clinton.

Despite Mrs Clinton winning the popular vote by around 4 million...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Am I imagining this, or is there a correlation between Leave and Anti-Prorogue in the midland areas? Are the midlands areas the key battleground region for Leave/Remain? If the UK leaves with No Deal, will Birmingham be crippled by the loss of HS2?

2016 EU Referendum:

2019 Anti-Prorogue Petition:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ah petitions, useful for getting a feel of how heated the issue gets the population, useless for getting the government to actually do anything, especially with the government holding its hands up and claiming its business as usual (even though that doesn’t explain why the usual 3 day proroguement is including the recess this time and lasting 5 weeks)

Am I imagining this, or is there a correlation between Leave and Anti-Prorogue in the midland areas? Are the midlands areas the key battleground region for Leave/Remain? If the UK leaves with No Deal, will Birmingham be crippled by the loss of HS2?

2016 EU Referendum:
View attachment 122389

2019 Anti-Prorogue Petition:
View attachment 122388
I’m not sure if I see the correlation, but it’s clear the move to suspend has miffed the majority of the country and seemingly united MP’s against no deal - whether that was expected/predicted by Cummings will be interesting to see

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
it’s clear the move to suspend has miffed the majority of the country
Majority? On that map the average looks to be orangey to a bit red (rather like Corbyn actually) which is about 2-4%.
I don't think that justifies 'clear' or 'majority'.

There is certainly a vocal minority (at least) who are miffed, but that's always been the case with, for example, the remain and other movements over the years.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Majority? On that map the average looks to be orangey to a bit red (rather like Corbyn actually) which is about 2-4%.
I don't think that justifies 'clear' or 'majority'.

There is certainly a vocal minority (at least) who are miffed, but that's always been the case with, for example, the remain and other movements over the years.
Id based my statement more on the polls and immediate protests that have popped up everywhere than the map or the petition, but fair enough I was wrong to suggest its "clear", certainly a strong suggestion however

·
Registered
986 Posts
Another fantastic petition!

It's just begging for an official response of '++INSUFFICIENT DATA++'

I mean that we know what the writer wants, but their supporting arguments are not compelling.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So tomorrow they'll talk in parliament about not doing something that has already been done, and which doesn't involve the parliament in the doing? Monty Python had a decent idea of where UK politics were heading, but even they underestimated the madness. The ministry of silly walks now looks like perfectly reasonable when compared to the actual government.

I wonder if Cameron had some agreement with Netflix to set-up a vote that would lead politics this way so they could do a documentary about actual UK politics that would be just as absurd as the MP sketch, to be released next September to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the sketch.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
16 Participants
BurningNaturalGas
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing