Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned a Zoe ZE50 for a few days now and have/will have lots of questions for the Zoe forum, but here’s one a bit more general.

Do people keep their charging cables in the car? I will be mainly charging at home, with a tethered charger, and I’m expecting to only need to charge away from home on planned trips, and then using Rapid CCS combo chargers which are tethered anyway aren’t they?

My normal usage will be an 80 mile round trip commute 2 or 3 days a week plus about town stuff and the occasional road trip, so journeys of over 150 miles will be rare, once or twice a year.

i know the cable doesn’t take up much boot space, but compared to my old Civic it’s tiny, and the optional false floor would make it even smaller.

Do people often encounter situations where they unexpectedly need a charging cable?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,097 Posts
Law of sod is always that you will need it when you don't have it! There is a cargo net thing you can get for the Zoe so you can put a charging cable in that so it sits upright by the rear seat inside the boot.

I have the same net in the corsa now and that sits better down one side of the boot instead. That way it isn't slung in.

Storing cables vertically somehow is always less intrusive into the boot area.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I’ve owned a Zoe ZE50 for a few days now and have/will have lots of questions for the Zoe forum, but here’s one a bit more general.

Do people keep their charging cables in the car? I will be mainly charging at home, with a tethered charger, and I’m expecting to only need to charge away from home on planned trips, and then using Rapid CCS combo chargers which are tethered anyway aren’t they?

My normal usage will be an 80 mile round trip commute 2 or 3 days a week plus about town stuff and the occasional road trip, so journeys of over 150 miles will be rare, once or twice a year.

i know the cable doesn’t take up much boot space, but compared to my old Civic it’s tiny, and the optional false floor would make it even smaller.

Do people often encounter situations where they unexpectedly need a charging cable?
We store the charging cable under the bonnet so its always there and no issues getting the cable out from under any luggage.

·
Registered
vauxhall corsa e elite nav
39 Posts
I bought a cable storage bag for mine and just keep it behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Yes. Even on out 3kw only Chevy Volt we have a 10m untethered T1/T2 cable at home in the Rolec 32amp, and a 5m T1/T2 for the car when out and about if we need to destination charge.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
29 Posts
Got a granny and a type 2 in the car.
Don't use the granny at home, so it might just as well be stored in the car, and the type 2 is used when charging at home, and if needed it's nice to have it with me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Always carry it with you, you never know if you might need it. Ours is curled up in the boot of our ZE50, found a storage bag a bit to impractical to be honest.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
141 Posts
Yes, I keep all cables in the car all the time. Otherwise I'd lose them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I only use the granny when away from home, but found it at home once when I needed it, so they stay in the car. Never had too little room yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I drive a 2011 24kW Leaf which with 77% useable capacity has a maximum range of about 65 miles.

I do most of my charging at home but live in a rural area and sometimes longer trips can be a bit close to the tortoise! But have never failed to get home in two years. Although there are now a lot more rapid chargers around it is still possible to be caught out and need to plug into a post charger. There are still several towns around here where there is only one rapid and it can be up to twenty five miles to the next one. (Zap-Map is my friend.) To date I have only found a pump ICEd once although another one was so squeezed by ICEcars that I had to climb out of the drivers window! :mad:

If I am not in a hurry I will plug in to a post charger for a couple of hours, which is usually a lot cheaper than a rapid charger. There is also less time pressure if you will be away from the car for a while. I have noticed that more businesses are installing post charge points. Two local garden centres market and a nearby farmers outlet have installed free to use type 2 charge points in the last year. Until the covid crisis I met up once a month for dinner with friends at a country pub and the landlord allowed me to charge while we were dining. (It is always worth asking.) My friends and a couple of local garages are all prepared to let me plug in for an hour or two if I need to, which enables me to go directly home instead going out of my way to reach a fast charger. (I always offer to pay and promise them to reciprocate and allow them to charge at mine when they see sense and buy an ev. :))

To cover these charging opportunities, for peace of mind and for my own convenience, I always keep a (nice clean) spare granny charger, a weatherproof 13 amp extension lead and a 6 metre type2 to type1 cable in the boot. The Leaf comes with a satchel for the granny charger and a loop in the boot to hook it on to. I tuck the coiled extra cables upright between the satchel and the wheel arch.

I find I end up using one or other of the cables about once a month (apart from during lockdown).

I hope this reply answers your original questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have seen a Leaf with a permanently wired-in granny and a 30 foot mains lead stowed under the bonnet! 😲

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes, but I don't have home charging (yet....hopefully moving house soon!) So always need it to charge public/at my parents.

I bought the false floor for the boot of the Zoe and would highly recommend. It does little to reduce useable boot space for me, and I can store the type 2 cable and my granny charger underneath and it's always out the way.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
349 Posts
NEVER leave your charging cable at home, ALWAYS keep it in the car. If you don't ,there'll be one time when you are away form home, you need a charge, and you haven't the cable with you.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Agree with @Mike Etchells, I keep both the Granny lead and the Type2-Type1 leads in the car (along with a 5m and a 10m 13 A Extension lead and a 16A to 13A adaptor lead). Even if you have tethered charging at home, and plan on using Rapids when out, there will always be the time that the only Rapid is unavailable and you may have to use a Type 2 socketed outlet (or beg the use of a 13A outlet) to get you to the next available Rapid. The 16A to 13A adaptor lead came in useful once when I was down tto the last few electrons and was able to beg a charge from a caravan park.

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I will end up keeping the cable in the car -be interesting to see if I’ve used it at all in the next year.

Actually, thinking about it, I may use it for a free top up while Tesco shopping, but I think the novelty of that will wear off when I’ve trundled a trolley to the distant dark corner of the car park a few times :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think I will end up keeping the cable in the car -be interesting to see if I’ve used it at all in the next year.

Actually, thinking about it, I may use it for a free top up while Tesco shopping, but I think the novelty of that will wear off when I’ve trundled a trolley to the distant dark corner of the car park a few times :)
Tesco chargers are normally in very prominent areas close to the store (to the point they get ICEd quite regularly!)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts