Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know if anyone has tried the newer VW's with touch controls on everything, whether they still work with gloves on.
Or am I the only one that wears gloves to drive on a cold frosty morning?
I know there are such things as gloves that work with touch screens on phones, but what about the info screen, steering controls, lights etc. in EV's

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
Why would you wear gloves when you have a car that can pre-condition?

(The answer is you need special gloves that are conductive. Don't know if you can get them in the string-backed style with seal skin.)

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I find it’s the straight-jacket that us VW owners are generally forced to wear that causes the most switch gear operation problems...

Still, a pen or something secreted from the asylum library works at a push, once you’ve got it in your mouth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you wear gloves when you have a car that can pre-condition?

(The answer is you need special gloves that are conductive. Don't know if you can get them in the string-backed style with seal skin.)
There are times when pre-conditioning is impractical or more than I want to pay not to wear gloves.
One would need to know when they are going to use their car a couple of hours before hand. Not useful for the impulsive driving trip.
And if that happens to be at peak electricity tariff, I would be reluctant to pre-condition. Plus on the way back, it might dull the range enough to cause anxiety.
I guess I will have to resort to purchasing these new gloves just to operate the controls. Not a great expense to adapt to the new normal 🥶

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
And if that happens to be at peak electricity tariff, I would be reluctant to pre-condition. Plus on the way back, it might dull the range enough to cause anxiety.
Normal routine is to activate the pre-conditioning while making the coffee before heading off. 15 minutes is plenty.

Pre-conditioning actually increases range.

If you’re too tight to pre-heat, maybe consider a weak lemon drink instead?

·
Registered
Ioniq
679 Posts
I am a dab hand at using my phone screen with my nose while biking with gloves on. I suspect using touch controls in a car might require a bit more flexibility than I can muster these days, but if you try remember to video it.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
They also have voice commands. :devilish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts