Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just musing.

At the moment looking at long standing hourly rates on Octopus Agile, we see the famous duck-curve where electricity is very cheap in the middle of the day, but expensive around 6pm.

Am I right that those who sell solar back into the grid through Octopus Agile will get paid based on the hourly market price?

If so would it make sense to orientate the panels towards the west. My understanding is there'd be a decrease in the number of kWh typically generated, say 20%, but that it would be generated at a time when the grid really needed it, which the market price reflected.

Has anyone tried this out?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Octopus Outgoing is available as either fixed or Agile, so basically yes, however it depends on what the outgoing rate Is per HH.

However, your thoughts are indeed along the right lines.
In the USA, too many solar systems were being placed looking south, but there is good reason to have west and east facing as the morning rush hour and the evening rush hour meant that utilities had to start encouraging west and east solar arrays to balance demand.

if you don’t already have solar then the roofs on your house define what you can achieve For orientation. East west setup means you get the longest mean generation per day, whereas south means the highest. Plenty of design tools for free to see what is achievable.

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Check out the history stats here...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For anyone interested in checking out the numbers for themselves, just vary the value at step 4:

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm on Agile, looking to one day have solar PV, and until recently thought that I'd need a south-facing roof, but it makes sense to have E-W if that's when we're using the electricity, if you goal isn't soley to generate the most amount of energy to sell, but to reduce your demand on the grid. A heavier weighting to the west when an agile outgoing tariff pays more would also help to recover some of the costs involved if you're able to use less than you are exporting in the evening.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Overall national demand patterns can change over time - influenced by pricing like agile, supply being smoothed by large scale batteries or just economic/lifestyle changes such as more working from home. So you may not always get that peak price for selling to grid.

The Sun will always rise & set East to West and, given the choice, it's never going to be cost effective to re-orientate your panels.
Personally, if i was having panels and I had a choice of available roof space/orientation, I would look to match my useage profile as 1st priority and a fixed price for exporting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts