Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if we knew what kind of socket the European spec Model 3’s are going to get ?

Presumably it’ll have a standard Type 2 socket which will allow 3 phase AC (upto what power? - 32a per phase would be nice) and DC supercharging. But do we know any more than this ?

To my knowledge the Model S CHADeMO adapter doesn’t work with the US Model 3s. Is there a Model 3 CHADeMO adapter in the works or can Tesla flash existing adapters ( or cars) to make them work on the Model 3 ?

And given the relative ascendency of CCS in Europe it would be nice if that were an option.. especially given the growth of charging networks looking to install multiple groups of units providing >50kW of power [wonder where they got that idea from :whistle: ]. Interestingly the charge flap seems to be big enough to house a CCS socket without trouble.

Indeed, I’m surprised this stuff isnt yet clearer given how close we are to the EU launch and the fact that some Model 3s have been officially shown on this side of the pond...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was just wondering if we knew what kind of socket the European spec Model 3’s are going to get ?

Presumably it’ll have a standard Type 2 socket which will allow 3 phase AC (upto what power? - 32a per phase would be nice) and DC supercharging. But do we know any more than this ?

To my knowledge the Model S CHADeMO adapter doesn’t work with the US Model 3s. Is there a Model 3 CHADeMO adapter in the works or can Tesla flash existing adapters ( or cars) to make them work on the Model 3 ?

And given the relative ascendency of CCS in Europe it would be nice if that were an option.. especially given the growth of charging networks looking to install multiple groups of units providing >50kW of power [wonder where they got that idea from :whistle: ]. Interestingly the charge flap seems to be big enough to house a CCS socket without trouble.

Indeed, I’m surprised this stuff isnt yet clearer given how close we are to the EU launch and the fact that some Model 3s have been officially shown on this side of the pond...
It will have same as model 3 and X type 2

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
They’ve only just started hiring type approval engineers for Europe so I don’t think it’s that close at all.

CHAdeMO adapter is unlikely to ever work on the Model 3 the switching is different.

I would be willing to put money on the 3 having CCS for Europe.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
I think the situation is that nothing is known but a lot of people expect a combination of type 2 for home and supercharging with ccs capability.
I would say hoping rather than expect. I would like 22kW AC, SC & CCS :)

Reactions: jmacneil and Flyguy

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I would like 22kW AC, SC & CCS
Personally I would like a Unicorn...

Fully agree - it would make a lot of sense to have CCS. I suspect 11kW AC is more likely (3 phase 16A) - and that would certainly be acceptable, if it could also operate as 32A single phase.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I wouldn't be totally shocked to find that it didn't have CCS though.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Reactions: ringi

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Why would it change from the model S or X?
11kwh AC charging defo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
EU type approvals moving towards CCS as a requirement, model 3 does not have support for CHAdeMO having access to widening networks of CCS makes sense.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
22kW AC public charging is getting very common in some EU countries and starting to improve in UK, so would be nice. 11kW is almost certain as many places (our home in Spain!) can't accommodate 32A single phase.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally I would like a Unicorn...

Fully agree - it would make a lot of sense to have CCS. I suspect 11kW AC is more likely (3 phase 16A) - and that would certainly be acceptable, if it could also operate as 32A single phase.
The thing is that the S and X do 32a single phase by parallelling the (actually 20a) rectifiers on two of the phases to deal with the current coming down one phase pin. This requires a chunky switch / relay that represents an unnecessary moving part and a potential point of failure.

If the whole rectifier / charger unit was designed arround 3x 32a phases from the beginning then this fancy switching arrangement wouldn’t be needed.

Also, it’s good to remember that the S/ X charger was designed some years ago now. Since then Tesla has learnt a lot about power electronics and has built significant economies of scale into their supply chains.

As such I would hope that the Model 3 ( and the next S/X generation) have the full juice 22kW (3x 32a) AC from the off.

·
Registered
635 Posts
They’ve only just started hiring type approval engineers for Europe so I don’t think it’s that close at all.

CHAdeMO adapter is unlikely to ever work on the Model 3 the switching is different.

CCS and Supercharger I would say, would be crazy for the vast majority of Telsa's in UK and Europe that couldn't use their supercharger network!!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,683 Posts
I'll have some of that as well, it would be bizarre if it didn't have a CCS as they would get the best of both worlds, I expect to see a lot more CCS chargers over the next few years, Instavolt alone have a contract with Chargepoint to supply quite a few.
I think we will see Instavolt installing some at MSAs next year, in fact I'll put money on that too;)

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
The m3 unlike the S or X has enough space behind the charging door to take a CCS socket.
I agree be great if they do offer, but Tesla have never officially stated they will offer CCS. It is probably more certain they need space for the China GB/T connector.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
They are a ccs member

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
They are a ccs member
Yes they are a member of CharIN who set the CCS charging standards, but so are Toyota who have "self charging" EVs :rolleyes: It doesn't mean the Model 3 will have CCS, but Hopefully it will.

Vision & Mission

1 - 20 of 212 Posts