Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As subject says, do we know yet?

I'd like to know if I need to cancel or continue with my order; that £750 could go toward a cheaper vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree and not only that, what the finance costs may be i.e VW Finance for a PCH agreement. I may also cancel if it's vastly more than I'm paying for my current GTE. I may also consider a Mk8 GTE instead of the ID3 on this occasion. But I don't even know if the new GTE will be available immediately.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's all guess work at the moment.
I would say anywhere between £35-39.5k for the UK Plus (1st Edition) Line 2.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
People claim they have published prices in Germany but I can't see any official news on German site. I suspect it is a guess - or requotes of "less than" prices mentioned at launch. The cheapest 1st edition in Germany was going to cost "less than €40K" but I don't think we know how much less.

If anyone has links to official prices I am sure many here would be interested - including a friend who has just sold his eGolf!

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
I suspect people are using prices on page below, but all are qualified by "under" and "less than".

VW UK want a soft start to the ID3 rollout so dealers are comfortable and no chaos that we saw with Model 3, so initial version will be expensive vs e208, Zoe, etc.

However I am confident the 1st Edition Plus will be sold in UK for less than £40K before PICG. The press would not be kind to a so called "people's electric car" attracting the "luxury car tax". Selling for less here than Germany isn't a huge issue as RHD precludes cross border imports.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I suspect people are using prices on page below, but all are qualified by "under" and "less than".

VW UK want a soft start to the ID3 rollout so dealers are comfortable and no chaos that we saw with Model 3, so initial version will be expensive vs e208, Zoe, etc.

However I am confident the 1st Edition Plus will be sold in UK for less than £40K before PICG. The press would not be kind to a so called "people's electric car" attracting the "luxury car tax". Selling for less here than Germany isn't a huge issue as RHD precludes cross border imports.

Yes, I think it will come in at £39,999, subtract the PICG and your looking at £36,499. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just had online chat with VW

"We are hoping to open orders for the ID. 3 in January 2020, by that time we will have the technical specs as well as the prices for this model."

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
VW sitting on over 30,000 potential orders for the I.D.3 already, this has done nothing for customers who where hoping this model would be cheap !.
Dream on, they are sitting back with a large brandy and a big fat cigar.
Pay the price or step out of line please !.
Mid thirty's I am thinking here.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Whilst 30,000 cars might sound a lot, in the context of the VW groups annual output of 10.8 million cars, it’s not going to make or break them financially.

I doubt the bosses are breaking out the Fuerzangenbowle just yet!

Given the importance of the car to VWs overall direction though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pricing it keenly to get them out there on the roads and driving demand for when they can sell you one with any options you fancy.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
Given the importance of the car to VWs overall direction though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pricing it keenly to get them out there on the roads and driving demand for when they can sell you one with any options you fancy
I would suggest opposite as they do not want to create demand>production. Doing so might stop someone trading their Golf in for a MK8 and keep it longer. That would impact their revenue and profit.

VW will control marketing and price to try to get demand=production for 2020 during which they probably won't make the 100K often mentioned. Longer term aim is to produce 300K MEB (across models and brands) in EU factory. If demand<production they will do PCH deals like we see today on eGolf.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I would suggest opposite as they do not want to create demand>production. Doing so might stop someone trading their Golf in for a MK8 and keep it longer. That would impact their revenue and profit.

VW will control marketing and price to try to get demand=production for 2020 during which they probably won't make the 100K often mentioned. Longer term aim is to produce 300K MEB (across models and brands) in EU factory. If demand<production they will do PCH deals like we see today on eGolf.
The e-Golf is on run-out to clear stock. Doubt if you will see such discounting for the ID3 should demand be less than planned production. Production can be easily reduced by turning down the line speed (and not paying a bonus for faster line speed working) and there is always the option of one, two or three shift running each day. Not sure but I don't think it is a shared line with another model so putting production down in batches is perhaps not an option as it is for the LEAF at Sunderland.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts

First deliveries of the ID3 are not scheduled until Summer 2020, coinciding with the opening of a second production line.

12 months after that, production from just Zwickau will be 330k cars per annum across three VAG brands.

Will that be enough to satisfy demand? That remains to be seen, but not likely.

Other VAG products will be available, but I think it’s safe to say that VW won’t mind who buys their production as long as somebody does. VW have form for just closing order books when demand outstrips supply, they don’t just up the price to put people off.

But anyway, all that is separate to the 1st Edition which it should be remembered is VW saying to the world ‘look, we can make a funky electric car too’, and so will be priced (and specified) in a quite different way.

Allowing 30k people to pre-order a car and then pricing it so that not too many people will place an order for what follows is madness.

What about when they’re up to full production, are they going to drop the price to less than the 1st? I think we should credit one of the biggest car makers in the world with a bit more ability to plan the launch and production of a new model.

All IMHO of course!

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
The e-Golf is on run-out to clear stock
Incorrect, they have stock in UK for quick delivery but you can make a factory order. They have a separate factory for eGolf and will make as many as they need to for EU emission compliance. The ID3 won't start deliveries until second half 2020 so they will be making sure plenty of eGolf delivered in first half. They do not want to pay potentially massive fines if they exceed limit.

You can even pop over to factory and screw it together yourself - I am sure you would do a better job than Tesla :LOL:

Edit - An interesting article on factory

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
I think we should credit one of the biggest car makers in the world with a bit more ability to plan the launch and production of a new model
I don't agree. This is NOT a new model, it is a transformational change in their business. They have no experience of doing it - nobody in the auto industry has. The nearest is probably Toyota bringing Hybrids to the masses and that caused them significant pain for years as diesels took over in Europe. I do wish VW success as once it looks like they are succeeding the others will HAVE to follow or will die.

Incidentally I used to like Toyota/Lexus (I had several) but the recent "self charging" and "no need to plug in" has turned me against them! I am running out of manufacturers I like - I guess Honda are still OK ;)

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Incorrect, they have stock in UK for quick delivery but you can make a factory order. They have a separate factory for eGolf and will make as many as they need to for EU emission compliance. The ID3 won't start deliveries until second half 2020 so they will be making sure plenty of eGolf delivered in first half. They do not want to pay potentially massive fines if they exceed limit.

You can even pop over to factory and screw it together yourself - I am sure you would do a better job than Tesla :LOL:

Edit - An interesting article on factory
@proddick Thanks for the correction that the car is not technically on 'run out'.
Because the ID3 is not coming until mid-2020 would it be too cynical to suggest that VAG is discounting hard the e-Golf because it is all they have to offer at the moment to bring down their fleet average emissions?
They are bound to be under pressure since their engines are not as clean as they used to pretend they were prior to Diesel-Gate and the advent of new testing methods for EURO6 compliance. The fines for breaching fleet emissions are so huge, heavy discounting may be a very cost effective route for VAG to take.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts