Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
@proddick Thanks for the correction that the car is not technically on 'run out'.
Because the ID3 is not coming until mid-2020 would it be too cynical to suggest that VAG is discounting hard the e-Golf because it is all they have to offer at the moment to bring down their fleet average emissions?
They are bound to be under pressure since their engines are not as clean as they used to pretend they were prior to Diesel-Gate and the advent of new testing methods for EURO6 compliance. The fines for breaching fleet emissions are so huge, heavy discounting may be a very cost effective route for VAG to take.
I am sure the deals on the eGolf are precisely because they are closer to emissions limit. When you can lease an eGolf for less than a Zoe you know it is a good deal ;)

Two factors are playing against them - the decline of diesel sales (which has lower emissions) and the increase in SUV and crossover sales (which have higher emissions).

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I am sure the deals on the eGolf are precisely because they are closer to emissions limit. When you can lease an eGolf for less than a Zoe you know it is a good deal ;)

Two factors are playing against them - the decline of diesel sales (which has lower emissions) and the increase in SUV and crossover sales (which have higher emissions).
Yes, at the moment any BEV sold can be double counted in the total number of cars sold when arriving at the average fleet emission.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Except emissions targets don't count financially until 2020...

VW aren't discounting eGolfs for immediate delivery for that reason. According to the conspiracy theory, they should be holding back sales until Jan 1st, not flogging off current in-stock vehicles...

Most car models are discounted near the end of their run. Demand for the eGolf is bound to have diminished given the noisy launch of the ID3. VW needed to make a fuss about it as they are trying to rebrand themselves for the long term, but they clearly knew that would dampen enthusiasm for the eGolf, and are behaving as you would expect during a major model transition.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Except emissions targets don't count financially until 2020...
Not correct. The emissions target for 2019 is 130g but now apply to 100% of fleet and fines are €95 per gram per car. Previously VW group (including Porsche etc) were OK but they may be getting closer if sales have shifted a lot to petrol and larger SUVs. It is most likely why they are now doing deals on eGolfs - especially as no GTE until next year. They definitely need to sell plenty of eGolf and GTE in first half of next year!

The GTE is coming back next year as Super Credits are back from 2020 for PHEVs less than 50g.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I really hope they announce a price soon! I think by the time they announce it, I'll have missed the pre-order window for my Plan B car, the Honda e, which I do know the price for!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

There is a third factor that the 'more real world' WLTP testing for EURO6 compliance of their fleet brings up the average emissions.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
The list in photo above say "less than" so is same as quoted by blogger. They may decide to price a bit "less" or a lot "less" - they are probably trying not to give too much away to competitors.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
There is a third factor that the 'more real world' WLTP testing for EURO6 compliance of their fleet brings up the average emissions.
Good point. It is also why the old Golf GTE was killed off as was no longer below 50g.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I‘ve not kept close to the VW id.3 thing since loosely putting down a deposit, thinking it might be a viable option to replace our Kona.
Are we any closer to seeing a UK spec and price yet?

I can’t easily find it online: I can see why many are asking for deposits back (I may head there myself for a personal Christmas bonus).

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
There is talk of UK 1st Edition spec and price in December. I assume they will take (low?) risk on import duties as 1st Edition cars should all be delivered before end of 2020? The price before PICG does look like it will be just below £40K, which is higher than many expected (although some were delusional). It would be a very bad start to the ID range if they priced it above that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree it seems VW are following the programme outlined in the pre bookers terms and conditions with firm pricing and ordering in first quarter 2020. I am sure the reluctance set U.K. spec and provisional pricing is due the volatility of the pound due to Brexit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is talk of UK 1st Edition spec and price in December. I assume they will take (low?) risk on import duties as 1st Edition cars should all be delivered before end of 2020? The price before PICG does look like it will be just below £40K, which is higher than many expected (although some were delusional). It would be a very bad start to the ID range if they priced it above that.
Thanks.
I’d agree it needs to come in under the £40k mark to avoid that “luxury VED”.
I was already a bit disappointed months back when it transpired the 1st would be the mid-range (20 lower than our Kona), but will perhaps hold on to hear what it comes in at, & full spec details.
Must admit I had expected the details/price back in Oct.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I saw the video from the fella in Ireland that goes into detail about PCP costs.

It does look like the base model is going to be about £380/month (after 4k? deposit)?

The question is - who would choose the ID over a Model 3 when the pricing looks to be so close? Especially when the supercharging network is taken into account.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I saw the video from the fella in Ireland that goes into detail about PCP costs.

It does look like the base model is going to be about £380/month (after 4k? deposit)?

The question is - who would choose the ID over a Model 3 when the pricing looks to be so close? Especially when the supercharging network is taken into account.
That's still a lot cheaper than the base level Model 3.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's still a lot cheaper than the base level Model 3.

View attachment 125093
It's all speculation at the moment until firm UK prices are announced. However you have to remember that the Model 3 SR+ is a much bigger car and has great performance, so comparing the two might be prove difficult purely based on price alone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just got an email from VW in which it said “Exciting news is on the way. As you’re on the waiting list for the game-changing ID.3, we wanted to let you know that full pricing and specification details will be revealed in early 2020” So you keep waiting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just received email from VW advising pricing and specification plus info on the ordering window will be in with us in the New Year.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts