Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just got an email from VW in which it said “Exciting news is on the way. As you’re on the waiting list for the game-changing ID.3, we wanted to let you know that full pricing and specification details will be revealed in early 2020” So you keep waiting.
I reckon they are just gaining their tiny bits of interest on our deposits before announcing and losing us due to over enthusiastic pricing 🤪. They know companies will sweep up sales (zero BiK incoming!).

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,404 Posts
I reckon they are just gaining their tiny bits of interest on our deposits before announcing and losing us due to over enthusiastic pricing 🤪. They know companies will sweep up sales (zero BiK incoming!).
Was expecting in December also was hoping to see even a LHD event in UK somewhere but now not too optimistic. If ordered does it still mean we can cancel as need to drive it also to confirm happy, if not then guess I will cancel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read with amusement the cynicism in this blog. There is no mystery to why VW have not priced the UK market as they have no idea where the pound is going. Its case on Brexit pushing us to the back of the queue. Read todays article by David Bloom in "Pound Sterling Live".

·
Registered
596 Posts
Someone who prefers their car to be properly screwed together...?

🤣
Nothing wrong with my Model 3, its actually better than anything I have owned from Volkswagen in the past!

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Nothing wrong with my Model 3, its actually better than anything I have owned from Volkswagen in the past!
It is very odd this "German Quality" mindset and it appears to be very UK specific - probably due to car magazines funded by advertising. My friend has had far more issues with his 2017 Tiguan than even my lowly Zoe. The only car that has broken down and needing towing for me in past 10 years was the B250e!

Both our Tesla have been very good - our Model S is now 3 years old and no issues except (the common) yellow screen border. I do agree a lot of owners have had issues though...

Personally I am more bothered about reliability than how soft the plastic is or do the knobs feel nice. It did worry me about buying the Zoe, but so far (fingers crossed) it has been excellent. Part of my interest in Honda e is that they genuinely make reliable, quality cars.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It is very odd this "German Quality" mindset and it appears to be very UK specific - probably due to car magazines funded by advertising. My friend has had far more issues with his 2017 Tiguan than even my lowly Zoe. The only car that has broken down and needing towing for me in past 10 years was the B250e!

Both our Tesla have been very good - our Model S is now 3 years old and no issues except (the common) yellow screen border. I do agree a lot of owners have had issues though...

Personally I am more bothered about reliability than how soft the plastic is or do the knobs feel nice. It did worry me about buying the Zoe, but so far (fingers crossed) it has been excellent. Part of my interest in Honda e is that they genuinely make reliable, quality cars.
I think ever bodies wants and looks for different attributes in a car before they buy, I set my expectations low with Tesla knowing that the bulk of the money is going towards the technology, batteries, drive-train, motors etc and that the interior fit and finish including quality wouldn't be as good as my 2016 Golf R.
Upon collecting it, I was rather surprised.
To be honest, there is nothing wrong with Volkswagen too, but like you say... some people have more issues with Volkswagen's, Ferrari's or even Porsche's too.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I worked in automotive for ~25 years and visited US, UK & EU plants, often in a Quality role. EU practices/controls/discipline were far more advanced than those in US and the Japanese/Asian markets more so. Not all EU companies were equal with Italian plants being noticeably worse (Fiat/Alfa etc.).

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I set my expectations low with Tesla knowing that the bulk of the money is going towards the technology, batteries, drive-train, motors etc and that the interior fit and finish including quality wouldn't be as good as my 2016 Golf R
Expectation is a key thing, and it explains why products from the same umbrella company score differently in reliability surveys, even though the ‘oily bits’ are the same.

I’m thinking Golf vs Octavia vs A3 vs Leon as an example, the Skoda often scores higher than the others, how can that be explained, if not by expectation?

Anyway, let’s not turn this into another Tesla quality thread, there are enough of those...

·
Registered
596 Posts
What price will be a step too far for 1st Edition for you?
If the Volkswagen ID3 1st Edition Plus is priced less then £35,000, I think it would be a good price point. :)

·
1,404 Posts
If the Volkswagen ID3 1st Edition Plus is priced less then £35,000, I think it would be a good price point. :)
Before grant? It really should be but might be too optimistic, so if over £35K would mean you would not order?

·
Registered
280 Posts
What price will be a step too far for 1st Edition for you?
Over 40k before grant would definitely kill it.
Actually, we are enjoying our Kona a lot, so even 37-38 may put us off.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Someone who prefers their car to be properly screwed together...?

🤣
Nah, the Model 3 is all ‘within tolerance’ 🤔

If ordered does it still mean we can cancel as need to drive it also to confirm happy, if not then guess I will cancel.
It has previously been announced that no ID.3’s will be in the showroom let alone available to test drive before the 1st Editions are delivered.

For me there are far too many owners who have lots of niggles to even consider a Model 3 at the moment.
We all have different expectations though, I have said for a while that the Model 3 is basically a £20K car with a £30K battery underneath it, so expect £20K car tolerances.

What I do find daunting is when owners have issues and Tesla common reply that it’s ‘within tolerance’ reply is quite concerning.

Performance is nice, but a well screwed together car that doesn’t leak, have condensation where it shouldn’t be etc is far more important TO ME.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Performance is nice, but a well screwed together car that doesn’t leak, have condensation where it shouldn’t be etc is far more important TO ME.
I tend to agree but, and whisper this, my near side headlamp on the e-Golf has a lot of condensation in it. The off side is dry as a bone.

Maybe something for service time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi to everyone - a newbie to the Forum. I've Just received (26 nov) an email from VW UK headed as 'Pricing Information about your ID.3 is on its way'. Anyone else in UK received similar? Text notes 'you will receive full pricing and Alex's for the 1st Edition that you have prebook ed in early 2020'. And they will contact me again early next yr and details the steps from then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi to everyone - a newbie to the Forum. I've Just received (26 nov) an email from VW UK headed as 'Pricing Information about your ID.3 is on its way'. Anyone else in UK received similar? Text notes 'you will receive full pricing and Alex's for the 1st Edition that you have prebook ed in early 2020'. And they will contact me again early next yr and details the steps from then.
I think several people on here received that email although I haven't as yet. I have just logged on to VW and my pre-booking is still in place so not sure why I have missed out!

·
1,404 Posts
I think several people on here received that email although I haven't as yet. I have just logged on to VW and my pre-booking is still in place so not sure why I have missed out!
Yes, hope for good news in January only not too hopeful that it will break below the 30K barrier as none of the other newcomers are meeting the price parity I want.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Post on Facebook today...

The ID.3 seen on UK roads!

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: car and outdoor
Image may contain: car and outdoor
No photo description available.
DrivingElectricLike Page
9 hrs
The Volkswagen ID.3 has been seen on UK roads for the first time, visiting the Pod Point chargers at Tesco in Potters Bar, Herts.
As of this month, 100 of a pla...See more

41 - 60 of 66 Posts