Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a carbon conscious world, is there any reason to sell cars homologated for use on public roads that can do more than 100mph. My view is no, it doesn't make any sense in a civilised society. Please don't bring any ICE referenced legacy to the discussion.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yes. Because driving a car powered by renewables at 100 mph or 10mph makes little difference to my carbon footprint. And I can plant a tree anyway.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
In a carbon conscious world, is there any reason to sell cars homologated for use on public roads that can do more than 100mph. My view is no, it doesn't make any sense in a civilised society. Please don't bring any ICE referenced legacy to the discussion.
As long as there are people who want to buy them there is a reason to sell them - cos they can give a nice profit to the car industry.

I'd agree it doesn't make any sense in a civilised society, but sense seldom gets much use in ours.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
While we're at it, can we make sure no-one can enjoy these things?

Infotainment and fart apps are a distraction and health hazard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally I’d trade a limited top speed for added range...accepting fully that practically speaking a 200 mile range is more than adequate (but so is an 80 mph top speed in the U.K.)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
85 percentile motorway speed is 85 miles per hour. So maybe that should be the absolute minimum top speed for any car anything above is fine. And what if we see a German safety based approach to speed limits in future. Limiting cars on ethical grounds is a little bit evangelistic to me. Any way what is wrong with the approach we have now ?

In a short time everything will either be compulsary or illegal - sad in so many ways.

I do like the idea that if parliment bring in a new law they have to get rid of another one.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If we were voting on this, the Libertarians would have it in the bag. I'd like to hear from hair-shirters, where are they?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I’d trade a limited top speed for added range...accepting fully that practically speaking a 200 mile range is more than adequate (but so is an 80 mph top speed in the U.K.)
Not sure there is such tradeoff, or at least it would have a tiny influence?

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Why not ask if we need cars that can go over 100mph?

Singling out BEVs makes them look like Noddy cars. The point is to get the petrol heads away from the gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not ask if we need cars that can go over 100mph?

Singling out BEVs makes them look like Noddy cars. The point is to get the petrol heads away from the gas guzzlers.
We got to post#12 before someone had to make an ICE reference. Actually that's pretty impessive😁

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Just think where the EV world would be if we started off with a Tesla Twizy ? Heaven or Hell ?

Reactions: onlineo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure there is such tradeoff, or at least it would have a tiny influence?
guess you’re right, I was kind of wondering why we need sub 5 second 0-60 when (say) 7 seconds would suit most people. This would mean a change in gearing and would potentially extend the range, and actually increase the top speed.

the guys who develop the cars will understand the trade offs far better than me so the actual benefit must be negligible.

BTW I’m not against performance cars irrespective of ICE or BEV, more that a “family” car would be better concentrating on range, and a performance car on 0-60 and top speed more than range. And for the family man with sporting pretentions, the GT version of the family car, just like we did in the ‘60s 👴

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
guess you’re right, I was kind of wondering why we need sub 5 second 0-60 when (say) 7 seconds would suit most people. This would mean a change in gearing and would potentially extend the range, and actually increase the top speed.
Standardised 0-60 times. If everyone is 10 seconds, why do we need any faster?

1 - 20 of 197 Posts