Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just because I'm a former Mini owner? Quite often I'd find myself giving a nod or a wave to a fellow Mini driver, and as a motorcyclist it's almost obligatory to give a nod of acknowledgement to my fellow bikers. Do EV drivers do the same? Must admit, I struggle to recognise most EVs, other than Teslas, and tbh, yes I'm envious of them, but if I were alongside one I'd give a little nod. Obviously, at a charge point a conversation usually ensues (I say usually, only visited on 2 occasions, and chatted both times.)
My current record is a Zoe in front and a Tesla to my right, but both were oblivious to the importance of such a conjunction occurring......or maybe I'm still excited as I'm a newby?

So, E.V.A.E (Electric Vehicle Acknowledgement Etiquette) Does it exist? Should it exist?

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
709 Posts
I used to 6 yrs ago when I got my first EV, it was like a little club of enthusiasts as there were so few about but I've recently stopped..
It's not just enthusiasts anymore, most don't notice or acknowledge a friendly nod or wave & some just look confused 🙃

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
349 Posts
No, why?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Yes. Afaik many of the Ampera owners on here also do. We're a very exclusive club, driving a modern classic car, and we like to reassure each other that they have friends if anything goes wrong on theirs !!! :)

We quite understand that Zoes, Leafs etc are 2 a penny, so we don't bother to acknowledge them... 😶

·
Registered
10 Posts
Someone in a Zoe ZE40 in the same color as my Zoe recently gave me a thumbs up, so I waved back of course. Other than that, if I were to wave to all the Model 3's and Kona's around here, I'd be quite busy. :p

Edit: I do think I might give a thumbs up to the first person I see driving a new electric car, for example the ID.3 currently. And I also have a soft spot for the Mini Electric, which I don't see that often (yet).

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I used to drive a C900 SAAB, I would always wave at other SAAB drivers, as there not many about and would always get a wave/nod/thumb's up/smile back.

As for an EV, pulled up to a Lidl Podpoint the other week and a Tesla driver, a Mitsubishi PHEV and a BEV works van all said Hi.

Tried waving/nodding at other i3 drivers and they just look blankly at me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I used to acknowledge other bikers back in the day when I used motorbikes.

Now I have an EV I considered waving etc to other EV's, but more out of respect for the environment. I feel we are all doing our own little bit and now I hate seeing or following ICE's with smoke billowing out of their exhasts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As Andy said, I always acknowledge an Ampera or Volt driver. They often look at me somewhat perturbed, but sometimes they wave back. Depends on the kind of car, some draw more enthusiasts than others.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Most BEV drivers think me a twat Audi driver anyway. They seem offended that I dare saluting them. So I stopped about 4 years ago.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
673 Posts
Only iPace drivers. Obviously.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Nah. It’s not special any more, and so many cars (like the Niro, corsa, 208, golf) could just be a petrol car. We don’t have a special connection just because our car has the same fuel source, the reasons for choosing EV are way too diverse.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
673 Posts
True enough I think. I do wave at iPaces though.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,279 Posts
I've owned 3 Reliants, a 21E and 2 Robins, so I'm a serial waver. However, in the last year or so it's become more and more difficult to tell who's in an EV, so I don't get to wave as often. Had an E-Niro stopped behind me at a round-about yesterday and we waved.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
29 Posts
Nope, do not.
And, unless you know your cars, you won't know I'm driving an EV, as I got standard plates, and not EV plates on my MG. 😁

Currently less than 900 EV here in Norway that got regular plates on their EVs, instead of EV plates.

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
54 Posts
I still nod at motorcycles....
...even when I’m in the car and my bikes been sitting unloved in the garage for a few years.

Nobody nods back though :(

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Nope, do not.
And, unless you know your cars, you won't know I'm driving an EV, as I got standard plates, and not EV plates on my MG. 😁

Currently less than 900 EV here in Norway that got regular plates on their EVs, instead of EV plates.
What is the visible difference, and does having an EV plate get you any benefits, other than the feeling of "look at me, I'm saving the planet"?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
29 Posts
In Norway our plates are 2 letters and 5 numbers for cars.
EL, EV, EK & EB are electric vehicles specific letters, and HY are hydrogen specific plates.
They don't give any other benefits than the regular, area based plates, but without the ev plates I risk getting pulled over by the police when driving in the bus lane, if they can't be bothered to run the plate first.
I'll live with that just fine, and see it as a chance to let them learn something new 😂

And it makes my ZS stick out a bit too 😉

(The ice version of the ZS isn't for sale in Norway)

Area based plates shows witch region the car, when first registerd, comes from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts