Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So BMW has BMWi, but at the same time appear to be planning plugin hybrids as their "mainstream" low CO2 vehicles for the foreseeable, and have backed Hydrogen strongly historically.

VW are introducing EV versions of their range, but at a large premium with middle-of-the-road EV performance, and again seem to have plans for "better" hybrids.

Renault, Nissan, GM etc seem to be stuck in a rut.

Do you think any "traditional" manufacturer is going to go all out on EVs in the foreseeable future (whenever that may be), or are they just too invested in the old-school networks, practices and oil that they just wont do it?

I like what Yamaha appear to be up to (http://speakev.com/threads/looks-really-cool-nice-little-yamaha-ev.1342/) but they're hardly "mainstream" in most people's eyes.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't think any manufacturer will go 100% EV for many years yet. Why should they when the vast majority of their market is non-EV. They would be shooting themselves in the foot and may well go out of business as a result.

It will happen only when the market for EVs is the majority and even then they will probably keep some ICEs on the books for many years after that. remember... these car companies are big, old-fashioned, and slow to adapt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Vehicle Product volumes are driven by customer demand and legislation. The fact that most manufacturers are now in the electric vehicle business is down to the California legislative requirement saying that in order to sell cars in California a company must be selling "Zero Emission Vehicles". There is much scepticism about electric vehicles in the general public and until this is overcome uptake without legislation will be a slow process. Manufacturers have many £million invested in equipment and facilities to manufacture ICE vehicles and this will not be put on the scrap heap in a short time period. Conventional hybrids are much more attractive to them as they continue utilise existing powertrain facilities. I see a general transition to hybrids with a slower migration to BEVs as range is improved and costs are reduced. Now if major cities were to restrict ICE vehicles due to air quality degradation, then that would be a game changer !!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Like London becoming a Z.E zone would help
Can't see that happening either for a long time. A Low Emission zone perhaps. There is already a LE zone around the city but it only applies to certain commercial vehicles. That could be extended to include all vehicles but again, that will only happen when it is practical for the city to operate entirely with ZE vehicles and that is a long way off yet IMO.

Don't misunderstand me... I want it to happen but I am just considering the realities and practicalities. People still have to live.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was under the impression that when National Electric Vehicles Sweden took over SAAB they would be concentrating on EV's only so it was a surprise when they recently announced the revamped 9-3.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes did see it but memory is not as good as it was. I had a SAAB Independence Edition prior to the Volt so I was up to date when they were in financial difficulties but not so much now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts