Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you have a private socket dedicated to your electric car?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Intens
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To give you background for this poll - I started this thread where I'm trying to gather community support for petition requesting Tesla to introduce again 22kW AC onboard charger (former dual charger option). So far it seems that not many people are interested in it. I'm wondering if the reason for it is that vast majority of current electric car adopters have a private wallbox.

If you will participate in the poll and you will not go for Yes answer, I would like to hear in the comments more about your situation. How do you use the public network, if you charge AC/DC, how far is your nearest charge point...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
This is only of interest to the Tesla community (a minority), so why not post this where you posted the original? You can take it that the majority of non-Tesla EV owners in the UK have a home charge point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is only of interest to the Tesla community (a minority), so why not post this where you posted the original? You can take it that the majority of non-Tesla EV owners in the UK have a home charge point.
I wanted to address also non Tesla owners. I'm in the same situation. Currently driving Zoe. It is funny, in the other post they are telling me you have to address non Tesla owners :) If I quote "The challenge you have in this is you need people who will only buy one if it has 22KW"

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I suspect that your results will be distorted. With the state of the public charging networks in the UK at least, the consensus appears to be - if you don't have a dedicate place to charge, don't get an EV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect that your results will be distorted. With the state of the public charging networks in the UK at least, the consensus appears to be - if you don't have a dedicate place to charge, don't get an EV.
Thanks for your opinion. I can reassure you that the situation in the Czech Republic is much worse. I'm a hard core electric car fan willing to do crazy things to drive one :)

P.S. I noticed your "Tesla avatar" just now, you know what country I'm from :)

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
22kW AC onboard charger
The problem is that this was really an interim thing. As far as I know most of the world has now moved to DC for rapid charging 'on the road' with AC used for destination charging and at home. 7 to 11kW is generally plenty for the latter, so there is little point in fitting a bigger and more expensive 22kW system.

·
Registered
578 Posts
We have a socket at home, however we have found out that enough free charging exists to make it redundant

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to live there (Prague) with an EV. It was fine.

I imagine the infrastructure is pretty good now is Czechia?
To be honest, I do not have EV experience from UK, but judging just from number of Superchargers that Tesla built in your country, it must be very important market for them. So I was thinking that you must be far ahead of us.

To be honest I'm impressed about what one local utility has been recently doing. I'm sharing below screenshot from their app with number of chargers. If you have a look at the difference in numbers DC vs AC chargers, you will understand why I push for this.

Prague DC chargers:

Prague AC chargers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is that this was really an interim thing. As far as I know most of the world has now moved to DC for rapid charging 'on the road' with AC used for destination charging and at home. 7 to 11kW is generally plenty for the latter, so there is little point in fitting a bigger and more expensive 22kW system.
Got you. If you don't have a private solution and you have to share AC connector, speed becomes important factor.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,952 Posts
To be honest, I do not have EV experience from UK, but judging just from number of Superchargers that Tesla built in your country, it must be very important market for them. So I was thinking that you must be far ahead of us.

To be honest I'm impressed about what one local utility has been recently doing. I'm sharing below screenshot from their app with number of chargers. If you have a look at the difference in numbers DC vs AC chargers, you will understand why I push for this.

Prague DC chargers:
View attachment 142661
Prague AC chargers:
View attachment 142662
You live in Prague?

Life should be easy if you frequent the malls on the weekend. ;)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I wanted to address also non Tesla owners. I'm in the same situation. Currently driving Zoe. It is funny, in the other post they are telling me you have to address non Tesla owners :) If I quote "The challenge you have in this is you need people who will only buy one if it has 22KW"
OK - sorry for being a bit dismissive before :) I have now added my 'Yes' vote.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I must be very lucky that I found lots of three phase chargers with my Zoe in the U.K. then. :)
I didn't say they were rare, just less common than single phase outlets.

If you produced an equivalent map to his one above for a UK city what proportion of the results would be 22kW? More than 50%?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,952 Posts
If you produced an equivalent map to his one above for a UK city what proportion of the results would be 22kW? More than 50%?
They don't need to be at parity with single phase chargers to make it a viable option.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts