Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my first Zoe at a Renault dealer last week. I must ssay that it is a very good looking car. I didn't have time for a drive so I can't say what it is like but I have heard that it is very similar to the Leaf.

However, I can't help feeling that there is a major barrier to ownership... it cannot charge on a 13A plug. Well not with any efficiency anyway. So, as a result, renault are not supplying the car with a cable with a 13A plug.

Now I have had a Nissan Leaf for nearly 2 1/2 years and having the ability to charge at 10A on a normal houshold 13A socket is a massive benefit and potential lifesaver... if all else fails I can plug into any modern 13A socket.

Do other people think this is a problem or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well I have had my Zoe for 3 months now and never found a need for a 10/13am charge point, even on long trip most renalut garages have the fast chargers and they are happy to let you use them, I get very good range on a long run I have never got under 110miles before I need a fast or a rapid charge I'm sure this will change as it's getting cold now, but I here that the second gen Zoe will have both Cables 10a and 32a, but chargemaster told me that they are phasing out the 13a charge points slowly.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that in normal operation there isn't a need for 10A but what if there is no dedicated charging station at 16A or 32A and no rapid charge where you are going and you need a charge? Or what if the dedicated charging station breaks? That is where a 10A capability could be a lifesaver. With a 10A capability you could then charge literally anywhere. I would not want to be without that ability even though it is slow and even though you wouldn't normally use t.

I am not trying to pick an argument here. I genuinely am wondering if I have just got it wrong and really I shouldn't worry about having a 10A capability.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I understand you in every way, and I'm sure it could be a life saver, iv just never found the range to be a problem, I have come across 6 or 7 chargers not working so I just drive on ! Or I look on the r-link for a Renault and charge there if I think I'm going to have a hard time finding a charge point , but the idea of sitting there for 6 hours to get 50% would do my head in, as the Zoe on a 10/13a takes 12 hours,it would quicker for the aa to pick me up and take me home, as I get free Renalut recovery any wear in the uk. And next year renalut are looking at doing a duo cable like the leaf,

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The only time I have found my self close to running out is when I went to santo pod this Sunday just gone, I did 70mph+ the hole way there and 65+mph back, I did 83 miles there and back and I got to my door with only 9 miles witch turned on a warning light, but that was all my own fault,

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eunicholas said:
I understand you in every way, and I'm sure it could be a life saver, iv just never found the range to be a problem, I have come across 6 or 7 chargers not working so I just drive on ! Or I look on the r-link for a Renault and charge there if I think I'm going to have a hard time finding a charge point , but the idea of sitting there for 6 hours to get 50% would do my head in, as the Zoe on a 10/13a takes 12 hours,it would quicker for the aa to pick me up and take me home, as I get free Renalut recovery any wear in the uk. And next year renalut are looking at doing a duo cable like the leaf,
12hrs to full... sure. No one would want that and I am not suggesting you might even need to do that. But if you are in desparate need and are say, 10 miles short of your destination, then you wouldn't need to charge for 12 hours... just 1 would get you there! It is only for this emergency situation that I feel I need 10A charging and in those sitations you would only even need an hour or two to get you to your planned destination.

There are lots of reasons why you might be low and unexpectedly need to charge to get to your next charge point. Take me for instance... last weekend I was on a trip where the range was quite tight to get me to my next charge station. However, there was an accident and I was diverted 10 miles further than I was planning on. This can happen. I was OK but if it were a 15 mile diversion (which can happen on motorways) then with 10A charging, if it looked like I might not reach my next charging location, I always have the option to charge at any 13A socket if I could find someone to let me plug in.

The fact that Renault are doing the 10A cable seems to suugest that they agree that a 10A capability is worth having.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The only reason they are putting the option forward is because a lot of people worry like your self, but it will come at a cost £750. £750 for a cable that is already starting to be phased out, and with the Zoe when you input your Destination into the rlink, it calculates your reachable range based on distance and traffic conditions as it has live traffic information constantly updating whilst on your journey. Therefore if it calculates you do not have enough miles or an unexpected diversion has occurred the rlink will inform you and recommend your nearest charging points. So if you listen to the car you will be fine.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The difference between the people that are buying the Zoe and me is that I am an experienced EV owner and I believe that it is very much something to worry about!!!

At the moment, after 2 1/2 years of EV ownership I know just how easy it is to be caught out and so right now I would not own an EV without a 10A charging capability.

You say...
So if you listen to the car you will be fine.
Unfortunately you are so very wrong with that and I really do hope that people don't trust what the car is telling them to that extent because if they do then they could and will get caught out. I really urge you to not to be quite so trusting in rlink. If it is anything like the Nissan version called Carwings, and I can't imagine it being all that much better given how it works, then it just cannot be trusted to that extent. No Nissan Leaf owner relies on what the car is telling them as far as charging stations is concerned. Of all the advice that I could possibly give that is one of the things I am most confident about!

Sorry to burst your bubble and to bring you back to the real world of EV driving. The cars are not to be relied upon for charging station info.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the car has not let me down yet, I was not arguing with you, but you would think after 2 1/2 years of Nissan and Renalut working together they would get something right, and I'm not saying the the R link is 100% right, and I like charge map more then the R link, but I will not knock renalut for doing a really good job, I know you have lots of experience and I was not disagreeing with a 10 amp charge plug, I'm just saying the car is doing what it says on the tin, from every thing I read the leaf seems to have really bad range,if I set off and I know going to do a 100 miles I will makes sure on charge map and the R link that there are at less 3 chargers available and if there is not, I will stop on one of the motorway service stations and use a fast or a rapid charger, I do the best to cover my back, but I never worry as I have free pick up if I run out. As if I spend all my time worrying what's the point in the car, I buy a car to injoy it and I will take it with its good and bad points, but god if I worried all the time I with give it back,

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
I drive an Ampera so I don't have to charge, but if I were buying a BEV I agree with Paul that not having 10A charging would be a deal breaker.

I often visit friends/family and charge using their 13A socket. Typically I'm staying 24 hours or more, so how long it takes isn't important and I sometimes switch down to 6A if I have plenty of time. I have also charged at a few hotels where they have an accessible 13A socket (so few have proper charging facilities). The idea of having to go searching for a fast charger when I could charge at the house/hotel doesn't make any sense to me.

@Eunicholas - Do bear in mind that Paul C has had a BEV a lot longer than you, so his experiences may help you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I was not arguing, I did not say it was a bad I idear, if you read what I put, and a 32a charger is not a fast charger and they are every were, that's what I have at my house, and I had a Imiev for a while and I loved it I used to plug it in my hallway through my letter box, in Milton Keynes there are more 32a chargers now than 13a chargers, Paul did not ask my experience in ev, he assumed I was new, I would say this is my first real proper ev as the Imiev range was so bad, and Paul wanted to know if the Zoe not having a 13a charger plug was a deal breaker for any one else, and I was only saying for me it's not a problem at all, I was not fighting,

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I respect your opinion. That is why I asked the question. Not to pick a fight but to get others opinions. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine. ok, I have over 2 years experience of ev ownership but that can go against me in a way. I have experience only with a 10A charging capability but in a way that is to my disadvantage. I could not imagine having an ev without it. New Zoe owners, if they haven't had it, May think differently.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts