Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a couple of the car wow videos where the RAC have a van with a little generator in it that’ll get you back up and running (slowly) to get you to the nearest charger, should you completely conk out at the side of the road.

Do you any of you have cover that includes this - and did you specifically look for this feature in your breakdown cover?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
RAC, had to use them once in the past. Absolutely hopeless, they give you an arrival time, don’t turn up, then send txts with more times they do not honour then eventually tell you it will be the following day... Avoid at all costs.

Greenflag on the other hand have always been brilliant 👍

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,794 Posts
In my experience you're best off with the AA. They are the only breakdown company that I have dealt with who have enough flatbed trucks for EVs. They can't charge you up but can take you to a charger. RAC from what I have seen don't have many of these vans equipped with chargers nor do they appear to have that many trucks to put you on the back of either, so I've seen a few stories about people waiting many hours before a suitable recovery vehicle becomes available.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Seen a couple of the car wow videos where the RAC have a van with a little generator in it that’ll get you back up and running (slowly) to get you to the nearest charger, should you completely conk out at the side of the road.

Do you any of you have cover that includes this - and did you specifically look for this feature in your breakdown cover?
My LV insurance policy covers me for flatbed transportation to the nearest charger should my battery die. It doesn't affect my no claims apparently and no mention as to how many times it could be used although I suspect they would have a word in your ear if you abuse their courtesy.

I don't know who the transporter would be, possibly the nearest, and available the soonest local garage?

I haven't had the misfortune to avail myself of this service (I hope that I never will) so I can't comment on the reliability or quality of the service.

But reassuring to have I suppose, just on case!

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,966 Posts
Yes LV are adding more to insurance policies for electric cars.

My latest insurance.
Electric car benefits

If you run out of charge in the UK we'll recover you to
the nearest charging point. No excess to pay and no
impact on your no claim discount.

Battery cover for accidental damage, fire and theft
even if you’re leasing it separately from the car

l Cover for accidental damage, fire and theft to your
charging accessories, eg your home charging point(s)
and cables.

Also I read somewhere else on their communication that you must install the latest software updates. I imagine that is because it could include safety updates

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting to know for when my renewal comes along

·
Registered
636 Posts
One of the reasons we have stayed with LV on our i3 for the past four years, not only were they quite competitive on price they offered a better package originally, and now it seems each year it’s getting better for EV coverage without a huge price penalty......also covered on the BMW extended warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,732 Posts
My LV insurance policy covers me for flatbed transportation to the nearest charger should my battery die. It doesn't affect my no claims apparently and no mention as to how many times it could be used although I suspect they would have a word in your ear if you abuse their courtesy.

I don't know who the transporter would be, possibly the nearest, and available the soonest local garage?

I haven't had the misfortune to avail myself of this service (I hope that I never will) so I can't comment on the reliability or quality of the service.

But reassuring to have I suppose, just on case!
I switched to LV when I got my ID3 for just this reason.

After saying so on another thread, someone pointed out that VW cover me for free recovery for three years anyway!

It's still a good policy and at least I am encouraging LV.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Battery cover for accidental damage, fire and theft
even if you’re leasing it separately from the car
This is just a gimmick. Most insurers cover the battery as part of the overall value of the car. I've had 2 Zoe with leased packs and never had to have specific cover for the battery pack.

Zoe had EVAssist as part of the battery lease package. May be something similar now that there is no lease available. Anybody know?

MG is covered by AA as long as you keep it serviced. (Get a nice Teddy too after each service)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts