Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a slight fright this morning after submitting my electricity readings and seeing my combined gas/electricity bill rise to almost £200 a month (for a compact modern 3-bed home with modest usage).

We've had a Nissan Leaf since April, but haven't really seen a sizable increase in costs until now.

What confused me was that our economy 7 night usage was generally fairly uniform - so I rang up my electricity company (EDF energy) to check.

I had thought my times were 11pm - 6am, but actually it was 12:30am - 7:30am for me - unfortunately this time varies depending on not just your location, but also which meter/timer you have installed. (It's impossible to check without calling your provider apparently).

When I looked at my timer - it looks woefully incorrect (showing 6pm when it was 9am - see below).

Have now arranged an engineer visit and will reschedule the Leaf timer today, so that I'm not making it worse!

Have you checked your economy 7 times/timer before? What happened for you?

·
Registered
541 Posts
We've just had ours installed and have observed the meter changing rates at about 08:30 in the morning.

Our meter appears to always operate at GMT, so as far as the meter is concerned the rate changed at 07:30.

So in summer the real hours are 01:30 to 08:30 whereas in winter we'll be operating Economy 7 from 12:30 to 07:30.

At the moment I've set my Leaf timer to end at 06:30 with no start time. I have the 6.6kW charger so can be almost certain that the charge will start no earlier than 01:30. This way we should always be easily within the Economy 7 time band regardless of season.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Man, that is some old kit you have there. I haven't seen a timeswitch in years - nearly all teleswitches down this way.

There look to be seals missing from the meter, and given how far out the TS is - have you had your meter read recently?

There are literally dozens of what we call "Time Pattern Regimes" associated with E7 across the country. People should indeed check, as it's almost impossible to find out for oneself just based on looking at a meter, knowing where one is, and trying to look it up. Glad we could be of help.

Reactions: tim_battersby

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I asked my provider and they gave me the wrong info. The installer told me to go off the sticker that's on the meter.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
My provider actually came back and said "we haven't got a clue, have a look at which meter is going up at what time". Because naturally I want to stand outside at midnight with a torch in the rain to see if their meter is working ...

I think I'll have to build myself one of those Smart Meter things ...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine has an LED indicator, low rate is 00:35 to 08:35 Summer and 23:35 to 07:35 Winter. Meter installed by Scottish Hydro but I'm now with Scottish Power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine is 1.10am-8.10 in summer & 12.10-7.10 in winter. It used to be on the hour, but over the years (18) it's slowly crept forward!

I just check it, in the winter, by seeing when the storage heater light switches off in morning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine is 1.10am-8.10 in summer & 12.10-7.10 in winter. It used to be on the hour, but over the years (18) it's slowly crept forward!

I just check it, in the winter, by seeing when the storage heater light switches off in morning.
Doesn't that give you the accuracy of the timer for your heating circuits, rather than the switching time on the meter? Aren't heating circuits often on a separate timer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Doesn't that give you the accuracy of the timer for your heating circuits, rather than the switching time on the meter? Aren't heating circuits often on a separate timer.
That's the whole point: the Economy 7 is for your heating, which is turned on by a contactor (like a relay) but controlled by the meter. Mine is stuck on GMT - smart meters aren't smart enough to adjust for DST - so is 12:30 - 7:30 in winter and 1:30 - 8:30 in summer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That's the whole point: the Economy 7 is for your heating, which is turned on by a contactor (like a relay) but controlled by the meter. Mine is stuck on GMT - smart meters aren't smart enough to adjust for DST - so is 12:30 - 7:30 in winter and 1:30 - 8:30 in summer.
That's the question. Is the timer that drives your contactor integrated into the meter, or is it a standalone device. If a standalone device then assuming that when the heating switches indicates when the meter changes may not be true since you have two devices that may have drifted apart over the years.

I have economy 7 myself but no switched circuits. If I want to switch something with the cheap rate it requires an additional timer which isn't necessarily switching at the same time as the meter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
afaik the only available electricity at night for me is eco7. The storage heaters can't be used during the day as they are only on the eco7 meter, with no separate timers/switches.
Needless to say, d/washing, washing, immersion (if needed) & PHEV charging is all done at night, plus a few others like breadmaker, so we have fresh bread for breakfast, slow cooker & yog. maker.

Unless of course it's a sunny day in which case immersion & car come 1st. the rest follow. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi I had an electric/mechanical time switched at first on my economy 7 and like the one in the picture, it went out of sinc. with the real time like yours, I think its when the power is off at any amount of time, It suited me as it gave me off peak power during daytime, but when they fitted a new meter they removed the timer and its built into the meter, if I am right I think they are now switched by radio 5 signals,

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
It seems to be a different set up based on where in the country you are... my meter does its own thing in counting up based on the time of day and the heating etc runs off a separate timeswitch. It's quite possible for them to drift apart.

I too had conflicting answers about the actual E7 times the meter was working to, I followed their advice in the end and checked it every 30 minutes to see when it actually started the off-peak counter.

To make it even more entertaining, when we had a meter change Ecotricity swapped the off-peak and peak counters around in their system. That resulted in an entertaining bill, which to get fixed I had to send in numerous photos of the meter at different times of the day. So don't believe anything... check it yourself.

It really is a poor system, almost designed to catch you out.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've never known it could be anything other than 12:30 - 7:30 GMT, (by decree I thought), however most meters/timers are self running and can drift over time. Grid management even tweaks the grid frequency to try and adjust the time-keeping that is mains cycles dependant, to compensate for leap seconds etc, but meter equipment can go wrong and if yours is you can insist it is replaced.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There are lots of switching patterns associated with E7 - starting as early as 11pm IIRC and ending as late as at 8am. The old E10 had an even wider window. Can also start on the half hour and and/or be split into two separate chunks (HiLoHiLo over 24 hrs). A lot of the differences reflect the local metering preferred by the DNO when metering was their responsibility. Remember also that it's not a good idea for every storage heater in the UK to come on at once, so a little staggering is a healthy thing.

Oh, and metering always runs in GMT because that's what the UK Electricity Settlements system is based on. It's one of those issues that Smart Meters will eventually sort out (my SM runs in GMT but the display that is fed from it is in BST), but my off-peak rate starts an hour later in summer.

By the by I remember STOD tariffs existing way back when. These Seasonal Time Of Day affairs had different switching regimes, across up to four rates, at different times of the year. Ofgem would never go for such complexity these days.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Reading this thread brings back memories of when I had my E7 metering installed. I'm afraid that I was one of those that got the torch out over a couple of nights/ mornings to check the switchover times. Right now it's E7 from 0115 to 0815 - which means that the car gets pre-warmed on E7 at the moment. I might have to start going to work earlier in winter.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Our E7 meter is being installed next Friday and I expect I'll be out with the torch next Friday night. :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Around 30pc is the threshold for payback for moving to E7 from single rate. Varies a little with the exact difference between On/Off peak ppkWh rates. Quite a few EV users won't make it without moving other load overnight too, so it's worth doing the sums.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts