Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some Ampera owners are locking their charging cable to something substantial so it doesn't get stolen when they are charging.

Do you do this? What do you do and how?

If you can post a photo here so we can see what you do then great.

I know dpeilow and proddick do something like this (see here: Ampera Owners Club Has Closed) but what do you do? Is it worth it? Clearly a replacement would not be cheap but do you consider the risk worth the effort or do you think it so unlikely that it will get stolen that you aren't going to lock it?

So far I haven't locked it but I think that I might consider it for public charging if I can find an easy and quick way to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lock the car end of my cable every time since returned to the car one time to find the alarm going and cable pulled out.Luckily the charger post end of the cable is locked in place till it's released using the charging network card.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I purchased the shortest plastic sleeved chain available and a padlock from Homebase.
I pass the chain around two spokes of the wheel and cable and fit the padlock through one end link of the chain and through an added hole in the sleeve to give a tight fit.
The excess piece of chain is placed closely behind the wheel to give the impression it links to something else. Alternatively the redundent part of the chain could be removed to make it shorter.
It is quick and easy to set up and did not cost much.
Only use it when on public charging, my car is always plugged in, inside the garage.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I have a long shackle padlock that was intended to go through the hole in the ZCW cable's plug. I shall be using that more in future as if for whatever reason the charging station dies, your £250 cable is totally vulnerable to theft. (It also stops others from helping themselves while you're on charge.)

The same padlock also comes in handy if you feed a loop of the wire from your Voltec charger around the spoke of the front wheel and then lock it back to itself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Any updates here ? I don't think anyone has had a cable stolen ? (Apologies if I'm tempting fate here).
I'd consider carrying a padlock in case I felt uneasy at a particular location but I can't picture threading the Voltec plug ( too big?) through the wheel spokes in order to secure with the cable .

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
We lock our charger cable every time we charge.
I have been unplugged a couple of time in MK, not sure if its an attempt to steal the cable or someone "having a laugh"
If you push a loop of cable through the spokes of the wheel and then back to the main cable (staying close to the wheel) you can then put a padlock round the three bits of cable

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I have a padlock that I use at times when charging my C-Zero, but it depends where I am charging and how long it is likely to be left. I also have OVMS which will alert me if the car gets unplugged.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We always use the padlock at the cable, just to prevent some clown pulling the plug. Also don't want anyone walking off with the cable, don't have the money to buy another one.

·
Banned
634 Posts
I haven't yet got my car so this topic is one that has concerned me. Often wondered if their would be vindictive people around that simply disconnected the cable or worse, stole it.
I would be pleased to see a picture of the padlock solutions because I can't imagine how this works. Also, would the "towing hook" seen on some cars offer an anchor point for a cable/padlock, wouldn't want, even if possible, to thread anything through the "alloys" ?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
The Leaf has a hole in the 'trigger' where you can put a padlock as Nissan say the lock isn't a lock!

The other end of the cable with the type 2 plug has a slot in it which on some chargers will lock the cable in place, but my ChargeMaster point on the front of the house doesn't appear to lock it in place.

Reactions: Mercedes 350e

·
Banned
634 Posts
The Leaf has a hole in the 'trigger' where you can put a padlock as Nissan say the lock isn't a lock!

The other end of the cable with the type 2 plug has a slot in it which on some chargers will lock the cable in place, but my ChargeMaster point on the front of the house doesn't appear to lock it in place.
Thanks for that. I don't know what the Mercedes charger cable provides so I will have to wait and see :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
The LEAF cable locks automatically if you want it to as well, on the gen2 anyway.
That's what should have been engineered into the Ampera. It's an obvious requirement and I was surprised when I saw a video showing that locking the car only activates an alarm if the cable is removed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thread cable through the rear wheel and use a long-shank padlock. Bit of a mess, but offers some security.

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
I use a snowboard lock (mainly because I have tons of them) like this one -> Flow Snowboard Lock-Alpine Accessories Although the one I use has a key, not a combination.

I can loop the wire around the cable and pull it tight so that it hugging the wire, then it goes back into the lock and out the other side, then around an alloy (or the suspension if I want it more hidden) and back into the lock.

I only ever do this if I'm concerned about the cable being stolen, as it wont stop the cable from being unplugged. I use my OVMS module to monitor if the charging has stopped, which would normally mean someone may have unplugged it.

If you want to see pictures, I will try and snap a few next time I do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts