Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I am not a Tesla owner or shareholder I'm just snooping

Votes: 5 19.2%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a thought crossed my mind when I plugged into a supercharger last. How many of my fellow Tesla owners are interested in Tesla's share price and are shareholders themselves?

Personally, I have been interested in Tesla for many years, I remember when the Model S first came out and being amazed by the tech. (I specifically remember watching this video in 2013)
I reserved a Model 3 in 2017 and became an owner in 2019.

However, I didn't purchase any shares in the company until June of last year. There's still been a very large amount of growth in that time. But I do kick myself when I think, why did I take so long to invest when I clearly believed in Tesla before the wider market did as they do today.

Furthermore, I believe it is not too late to become a Tesla shareholder even after its almost meteoric rise over the past 12 months. They've just had their best quarter ever in terms of production and sales and yet the share price has dipped and is well off its 52 week high of just over $900. I don't doubt it'll be above that price again relatively soon.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I decided to put £8,000 into Tesla in early 2013:

So worth £522k today.

Unfortunately I chickened out and never hit the “buy” button. Quite a bit of regret attached to that particular decision! I’ve come in a lot later at just over $700, but believe there will still be an upside. I have some money earmarked for when SpaceX does it’s SPAC/IPO, and I’ve put a few hundred into the Rocketlab SPAC as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Which is why I'm never selling my DOGE.
I’ve mined a little bit of BTC, nothing to write home about, but I’ll add a bit more on sunny days and see where it goes, and also thinking of putting a bit into Coinbase, since coins will come and go but the exchanges will always take a slice.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Brought in at around $68 (adjusted for split) didn’t buy enough to be super life changing. However I could buy a brand new M3 LR with my gain.

happy I listened to Cathy Wood years ago, though i thought she was crazy saying it would be $3,000 (she wasn’t, she was right)

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
I bought at about £600 pre split and im up about 20k. Unfortunately its all in my pension as I was too chicken to use "real" money.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I once sat through a dull-as-ditch-water financial advice session where after over an hour of interrogation my appetite for risk was assessed as something like "open to slight risk" and my better half was "slightly cautious". What this tells me was that for me, owning shares in individual companies, let alone a rollercoaster like Tesla, is very much the opposite of all professional advice I'm ever likely to receive (I don't have the time or inclination to build up and manage a portfolio of shares which could be one way of mitigating the risk of shares in individual companies). The only possible consideration for me would be to buy units in a fund that has high exposure to TSLA (but even then it would likely be a high risk fund and not the sort of thing I'd be advised to do).

The biggest risk I took was ordering a Model S in 2015 when there was a very real chance that the company would go belly up or get bought up within a year or two. Owning shares on top of a Tesla back than would have been risky-to-the-power-n. It's easy to take for granted now but I'm delighted that Tesla has gone from strength to strength just from an ownership perspective (I still have my S). I'll leave the untold fortune making to others (and thank them for investing in Tesla!).

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
Oh that reminds me...Most of my savings in my ISA are in an S&P500 index ETF which i believe is about 1.5% tesla.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
In my SIPP, I'd originally brought £25,000 in April 2019, and sold it all for £273,000 at the beginning of February just before the price dropped, so timed the market quite well, surprisingly. I've recently brought another chunk of £50,000 worth, but I'll also have a certain amount in the various US tracker funds.

The massive increase in share price from last year onwards and assuming it will carry on rising, is quite a gamble, as there's no logic in the market capitalisation being so high.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
In my SIPP, I'd originally brought £25,000 in April 2019, and sold it all for £273,000 at the beginning of February just before the price dropped, so timed the market quite well, surprisingly. I've recently brought another chunk of £50,000 worth, but I'll also have a certain amount in the various US tracker funds.

The massive increase in share price from last year onwards and assuming it will carry on rising, is quite a gamble, as there's no logic in the market capitalisation being so high.
wow! nice

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have some shares.

When I heard they were going to go from the Roadster to a 5/7 seat family saloon, I thought that'd be the end of the company, ridiculously lofty goal in such an established industry. Then I saw the concept car and it looked as similarly cobbled together and bloated as the Fisker Karma... still unsure.

But, as pre-production cars started to be spotted and eventually revealed my interest increased and when I watched the livestream of the delivery of the first 3 Model S, I thought - they've done it, wow they've actually done it... I was a student back then in 2012 and I immediately spent a while figuring out the lowest cost stocks and shares ISA I could open and buy some Tesla shares in.

Eventually I settled on iWeb share dealing, £20 to open the account and £5 to buy some shares, I put in all I could afford (only a couple of hundred £) which even with the low fees was painfully inefficient but I was dead set on it.

Obviously things happened pretty quickly, I had nowhere near the nerve to just hold on to all my shares through even those early rallies, so I have given them a haircut many times over the years including recently and most painfully shortly before the split - ouch.

Right now I still have some though, and the 12,681.69% return does skew my otherwise very sensible ISA portfolio of index funds etc :p

I have vowed to myself to hold what I have left "forever" because the book cost is basically nothing and if it goes to nothing, well, it was a fun ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts