Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my trouble and strife is getting a tad anxious over the range that's being displayed on our Zoe at the minute.

When fully charged it's showing only 62 miles, am I right in telling her not to worry about that and concentrate more on the trip for how far we've gone? 62 miles doesn't seem quite right to me as an expected range...

I know it's going to use more energy using the heating, lights etc...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depends how long her journey is. With a predicted 62, I'd be watching the dashboard like a hawk for any trip over, say, 58 miles[1].

My range has fallen off a cliff the last couple of weeks. A 58 mile journey I could complete in summer with 30% left, I've just completed with 11% remaining. Predicted range at the start was 59 miles and 4 miles were predicted at the end. No heat pump and heating set to 22 probably didn't help! A far cry from the 80+ predicted miles with 20+ remaining in the Summer.

[1] Yeah, I know I've got a REx but I use it so rarely that I've come to doubting its existence.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Zoe predicts the range using recent driving experience. But it also factors in the temperature. My driving is pretty consistent, but recent cold days are giving a much lower predicted range (70 miles in my case).
My advice is to pretty much trust it. It trends to be a bit on the conservative side, but updates itself whilst an route, so as @SanSerif says, watch it like a hawk, especially if it's cold.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Is it worth doing that reset thing on the range?
Reset only helps till your first trip, then it readjusts itself again so don't bother - it will only get your hopes up.
Our predicted has also dropped to around 65 with the cold weather but not been brave enough to see if it's pessimistic or not yet......

·
Registered
344 Posts
Last winter Zoes range dropped as low as 65miles on the guess-o-meter which proved to be very conservative.
Using pre-heat while Zoe is plugged in and charging helps tremendously in extending real-world range especially when temperatures drop below freezing but Zoe served us well and delivered everything that was asked of her.
She NEVER ran out of juice!

It was nice to get back into the summer months where she regularly returned 110 - 130 miles.

She is now down to 80 - 90 miles at present as we had a hard frost this morning.:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers folks, good to hear it's not just ours that has dropped!!!

We don't plug in every night as the car sometimes only does 15 miles in a day, plus we are off to Meadowhall later so am going to use their electricity

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
One thing that it's worth bearing in mind for winter range is that that cold air is denser than warm air, and so there is more wind resistance. Think of a hot air balloon, heating the air gives the air molecules more energy so the collide at greater speed and so less molecules can exist in a space, less molecules means less weight and density so the balloon rises. Sailors say you should add a wind strength to the measured wind speed when selecting the size of sails in winter. Many people have said that the drop in range is due to the battery holding less charge and the use of heaters, lights and wipers but denser air must have a significant effect. Driving through really cold air at 60 mph must be create the same drag as driving through summer air at a lot faster.

Having the head lights on makes little difference to range at motorway speeds. Say you have a range of 80 miles at 60 miles per hour with the lights off, so it will take you 1 hour 20 minutes at that speed. Two 55W headlight bulbs and a couple of 5w number plate bulbs add up to 120W (the other lamps are already illuminated when the headlights are off) so in 1 hour and 20 minutes they will have used 0.16KWh or 2.7% of the battery so they account for around 2 miles of lost range. The heater has far more effect on range. The stop lights and indicators must make next to no difference as they are rarely on. I don't remember when I last drove for a long period through the rain so that leaves the battery, heater and wind resistance for most of the 25% range drop in winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts