Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not, is there any particular reason?

Charge Bump seemed to have a pretty big user base, and even had (still has) it's own sub forum on speakev, even though the app is seemingly dead and has been for ages.

Needtocharge does everything that ChargeBump did, but better in my opinion.

The usual response is that having this app won't stop people hogging charge points. The thing is, it's not meant to. Obviously someone who is happy to abuse a charger for longer than they should, won't install the app.

The benefit of the app is for someone like me, or any other responsible user, who wants to leave an indication for others of how long they're going to be using a charger, but either don't want to or keep forgetting to leave a phone number on the dash.

It's particularly good IMO for 7kw or 11lw chargers. Ones where someone would be quite likely to charge for hours and if you arrive to find a car already using it, you can send a quick message to find out if they're going to be 2 more minutes, or 2 more hours.

How many folk here are using the app?

·
Registered
122 Posts
PlugShare also allows users to indicate how long they plan on charging, which works fine - when users bother to use it.
Seems to me that we don’t want yet another app, doing the same thing, and diluting the data. I don’t like the idea of having to trawl through several apps to see which one the charger has logged to.

·
Registered
666 Posts
PlugShare also allows users to indicate how long they plan on charging, which works fine - when users bother to use it.
Seems to me that we don’t want yet another app, doing the same thing, and diluting the data. I don’t like the idea of having to trawl through several apps to see which one the charger has logged to.
ChargeBump let you print out a windscreen sticker telling other users how to find you with their app. No reason why you can't make up your own sticker telling people which app they need if they want to contact you. (But surely a sticker with your mobile phone number is easier still)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing, first of all both people need to be registered on Plugshare, secondly the person charging needs to remember to check in.

With needtocharge, I have a little disc hanging in the window permanently. I don't need to remember anything. If you come to my car, there will be that permanent notice that you can contact me on Needtocharge.

Secondly you don't need to be registered. Just scan the QR code on the disc, it will take you to the website and enter my reg automatically.

20191010_105012.jpg

(I've edited that QR a bit as I printed that one for someone else)

Obviously if you want me to be able to reply, you need to add your email before you send the request, but that email doesn't get shared with me, I just get a notification through the app.

ChargeBump let you print out a windscreen sticker telling other users how to find you with their app. No reason why you can't make up your own sticker telling people which app they need if they want to contact you. (But surely a sticker with your mobile phone number is easier still)
Some people don't like leaving their info on display. Phone number etc.

Needtocharge shares no personal info. And once you're registered, you can print off a unique coded disc (tax disc size) with a QR code that links directly to your reg so the other person doesn't even have to manually input it.

Excuse the poor picture:
Screenshot_20191010-105042_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm with @david cauldwell on this.
There are more apps nowadays than charging networks.
Plugshare lets you send messages to any user. You can notify someone that is charging that their charge has finish for example.
I have several apps on my phone but tend to only use plugshare and chargemap but the lather have few users in UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts