Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone getting an intermittent FCA warning alert? I've had my car 9 days and it lights up occasionally. Turning the car off and starting again seems to get rid of the light. When the fault light is on, smart cruise control doesn't work and auto regen doesn't respond.
Made an appointment with a dealer but of course the day I took it in there was no fault. Neither front camera nor the sensor at the bottom of the car are dirty.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forward collision alert or something. It controls the smart cruise control, auto regen braking and warns if you're about to hit the car infront.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,432 Posts
That doesn't sound right. I'm in the same boat as you, recent purchase of the Soul, but I haven't seen any warnings or fault lights.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I sometimes get warnings when a car in front is slowing down to turn left off my road and my car thinks I'm getting too close. It obviously cannot judge that the car in front will be gone by the time I drive into it.

More worrying, on the motorway the other day I had a very scary experience whilst overtaking a lorry at 60mph. All of a sudden without warning the system alerted and started to brake for no good reason I could discern. I'm guessing it saw the lorry but it wasn't in my lane so a crappy response. Luckily I was on the accelerator so just forced my way through it and it ceased as quickly as it started. Somewhat knocked my confidence in the system's ability though. A false positive can be even more dangerous than a missed warning :confused:.

I've never had it go off when there was nothing at all in the immediate vicinity of the frontal area of the car.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
49 Posts
Yes! it’s like you read my mind. This happened to me today and haven’t got round to asking the question! FCA warning came up and I thought, wonder if it’s the radar on the front so tried to set cruise control and that errored too. A quick “reboot” at a red light and the error cleared. Assume it was a software glitch as the radar looked ok

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent :). At least we know how to clear the error. Now I need to look for any pattern. Twice it's happened after starting the car and moving off immediately. I thought maybe the system hadn't finished it's internal check but this morning I think it happened while I was driving.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
49 Posts
Yeah I’ll keep an eye on it and see if there was anything I did sequence wise that caused it but simply powering down the car and powering up again solved the problem. Theres a shocker!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. After decades of not using my account I've logged on just to look at that group! By invitation only grrr

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
214 Posts
Sounds like a future recall is on the horizon. I assume the FCA function can be turned off in settings??

Peter

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a future recall is on the horizon. I assume the FCA function can be turned off in settings??

Peter
It can be but it's still useful when it's working and it does warn you when it's not. I'm leaving it turned on for now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I seem to have the opposite problem. The FCA, even though it’s on and set to “early” warning, seems to never activate. I came really close to another car a couple of times on my journeys this weekend (on purpose) and at no stage did it warn me of anything, let alone applied the brakes...

·
Registered
236 Posts
It activated on me a week ago when a car in front suddenly slowed to turn off the road. So I think it will happily allow you to drive up the exhaust pipe of the car in front, but it just carefully monitors any sudden change in speed

·
Registered
455 Posts
Is anyone getting an intermittent FCA warning alert? I've had my car 9 days and it lights up occasionally. Turning the car off and starting again seems to get rid of the light. When the fault light is on, smart cruise control doesn't work and auto regen doesn't respond.
Made an appointment with a dealer but of course the day I took it in there was no fault. Neither front camera nor the sensor at the bottom of the car are dirty.

Any ideas?
Is this the warning that FCA is not available with 2 warning lights on the dash? As I have had it once but just restarted the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is this the warning that FCA is not available with 2 warning lights on the dash? As I have had it once but just restarted the car.
Yes that's the one. I've had it a few times now. Seems interference from nearby facilities might be the cause. I've had it 5 times so far. 3 times was near the same roundabout just as I leave my home town. Other people have reported the same issue. It's not random. Seems to occur as you drive past certain locations. Could be a faulty batch of FCA modules that are sensitive to certain frequencies. They cost £1500 to replace but obviously free for us under warranty and as it's a safety issue there may be a recall at some point.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
214 Posts
Gosh that’s expensive. How did you learn that it cost £1500? Is there any tech info about it anywhere online? I’m just interested to learn a bit more about it. Presumably that’s the square thingy low down at the front. Microwave Doppler presumably?

Peter

1 - 20 of 48 Posts