Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There's a Facebook NIRO EV group. I looked around there and someone else is having theirs replaced. I'm not in a hurry yet so gonna sit on it a while.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
214 Posts
There's a Facebook NIRO EV group. I looked around there and someone else is having theirs replaced. I'm not in a hurry yet so gonna sit on it a while.
Very wise. If there is going to be a recall, let them sort out the fix properly and let the stealerships practice on somebody else’s pride and joy before letting them loose on ours!

Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
I requested to join the e-Niro Facebook group but never heard back from the administrators. If any admins are reading - can you please catch up with your requests?

I have not had any FCA alerts. Or maybe I am not recognising them.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
226 Posts
I have had one phantom brake event which was actually pretty scary It was on the motorway, I had just activated the SCC, and was overtaking a car in a curve going down to cross a bridge. There was a metal grid in the road that moves the rainwater away from the road. During the overtaking manoeuver suddenly an alarm started blaring and the car brakes during a split second. My wife was pretty startled and so whas I, even though it went so fast that there was no real risk. But had a car been right behind me, it could have had interesting consequences. I´ll be watching if I get more FCA hickups and report back on them

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
49 Posts
I’m on the group if people need me to do a deeper dive into it. I’ve not seen the FCA error since it had its hissy fit (and subsequent cruise control/ any radar assisted tech) a few weeks ago now and everything is still working fine. Even triggered the other day when a numpty turned off without indicating in front of me. Interesting though it could be caused by interference, wonder what frequency the radar works at and wonder what side of road items would upset it If that is the case?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’m on the group if people need me to do a deeper dive into it. I’ve not seen the FCA error since it had its hissy fit (and subsequent cruise control/ any radar assisted tech) a few weeks ago now and everything is still working fine. Even triggered the other day when a numpty turned off without indicating in front of me. Interesting though it could be caused by interference, wonder what frequency the radar works at and wonder what side of road items would upset it If that is the case?
Near the roundabout where it's happened 3 times is a large phone mast.
On a section of the A46 near where I live is a set of roadworks but no obvious phone mast. Doesn't happen every time I drive past those spots but when it does it's near those 2 places for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, if you are on the Facebook group can you please post a message asking the admins to allow me to join it? I messaged the admins and made a friend request but no responses. I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure if this is related. Bearing in mind I only got the car yesterday, one thing I seemed to get several times is weird unexpected fairly heavy regen braking occurring for no obvious reason occasionally whilst coasting. I was using regen mode 0 Auto and Eco mode. Generally this combo seems to work quite well for me though I also like the non auto regen 0 setting as that seems to give me the smoothest drive. Maybe my right foot hasn’t fully learned how to smoothly drive with strong coasting regen.

However, this apparently random regen braking in the Auto mode is disconcerting and could annoy following cars assuming it was me braking when I wasn’t. I had to correct it by just pressing the gas pedal here and there. Anyone else see this?

Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,432 Posts
However, this apparently random regen braking in the Auto mode is disconcerting and could annoy following cars assuming it was me braking when I wasn’t. I had to correct it by just pressing the gas pedal here and there. Anyone else see this?
The fault is not a fault from my understanding. Sadly, the auto regen is not perfect. It does slow down for all matter of cars, objects, etc, that it picks up as in the path of the car. I love driving in Auto regen, but it does have some drawbacks.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
49 Posts
Yes if regen is at 0 Auto, you will still get some if the car detects objects in front of you. If you turn Auto off the car will literally coast. And I’m surprised how well it does as it’s very weird how far the inertia will carry you without any real resistance!

@Roo did you ever get accepted? I had no response either from messaging

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes if regen is at 0 Auto, you will still get some if the car detects objects in front of you. If you turn Auto off the car will literally coast. And I’m surprised how well it does as it’s very weird how far the inertia will carry you without any real resistance!.....
Yes I get that, but it was sometimes regen braking out of the blue quite strongly when there was nothing I could see anywhere in the path of me and it comes as a bit of a surprise when it happens with no obvious detectable object nearby. It could possibly cause a rear end shunt from behind?? Weird.

Yes it is astonishing how far you can coast when regen is literally turned off. I would have thought that would be the most efficient setting to use as you still get plenty of regen when you come to press the brake as needed. Getting lots of regen all the time is not going to be so efficient as power is lost in the regen process. Despite what the user book says.

Auto wipers seemed to work remarkably well, I didn’t expect that. Auto main beam dipping is also good, but reverting back to full beam is way too slow or so it seemed to me on some very dark roads last night.

Sorry drifting OT now slightly.

Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love hearing all the comments, I learn so much. I haven't got the hang of regen breaking yet. I'm going to watch some youtubes. But I am doing 4.4kw which seems ok to me. And I agree re the auto headlights, full beam can come too late on v dark country roads. But our merc did that too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes if regen is at 0 Auto, you will still get some if the car detects objects in front of you. If you turn Auto off the car will literally coast. And I’m surprised how well it does as it’s very weird how far the inertia will carry you without any real resistance!

@Roo did you ever get accepted? I had no response either from messaging
I did get accepted. I FaceBook messaged the admins and one got straight back to me. I'd tried to join using my iphone and apparently on the phone you can't see some questions they try to ask you - namely to see if you are in the motor trade. So confirmed I'm not and was immediately admitted. Join up - more e Niro stories and pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been driving mostly daily for about 6 weeks now and had a few sharpish regen slow downs but have deduced that these seemed to be when something, eg pillar or large boundary marker stone, was just off to the left (could happen to the right too but as left hand drive that's usually clearer).
I suspect the car has a generous periferal vision and sees side objects as a possible turning or emerging car etc.
A very gentle tap on the accelerator quickly compensates.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had one phantom brake event which was actually pretty scary It was on the motorway, I had just activated the SCC, and was overtaking a car in a curve going down to cross a bridge. There was a metal grid in the road that moves the rainwater away from the road. During the overtaking manoeuver suddenly an alarm started blaring and the car brakes during a split second. My wife was pretty startled and so whas I, even though it went so fast that there was no real risk. But had a car been right behind me, it could have had interesting consequences. I´ll be watching if I get more FCA hickups and report back on them
I've had one on a A road with what I would call a stupid junction. Give way at 45 degrees to road, on a right hand bend(so not the normal 90 degrees)-> I was chopping along at 50 ish, and car was approaching on the side road and slowing to give way (as you would expect), I had slowed to maybe 45 for the corner. Car obviously thought could be a head on collision given car was dead ahead and still approaching, but obviously I had right of way given it was a giveway, FCA beeped, then started braking harshy. I overrode with accellerator as was an obvious mistake for a piece of software to make, given I could see the roads right of way, but it clearly didn't (even though the map showed the side road was a not even B-road junction).

I've had nothing on motorway yet, despite probably 1400 miles of mostly the A1(M)/A14.

I should add my old Mercedes's collision stuff (FCA) also tended to work in same way -> so I'm reasonably used to it triggering on vehicles approaching from side roads when someone is approaching a bit "vigorously" but still clearly slowing for the give-way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The KIA manual has a number of scenarios where it shows how this function might work in unexpected ways such as bends, brow of a hill etc where it may fail to notice a car in your lane and incorrectly notice a car in the other lane. I've yet to experience 'phantom' braking. So far works better than my old mercedes c350e.

One thing. I changed my SCC response setting to Slow as I found it to jerky when following traffic in roadworks on motorways. I know the 2 functions are different but I wonder if they share that setting since both SCC and auto regen are variations of the same thing. SCC slows down and automatically speeds up when the distance to the car in front is too short, while auto regen slows down when the distance to the car in front is too short but you have to manually accelerate again. The slowing down part must be based on the same tech so they may share that setting.

Going back to my FCA warning light. 7 times out of 10 the light comes on near a Shell Petrol station just as I drive out of Kenilworth, Warwickshre. Never happens when I return. I'm convinced its some sort of interference and my likely suspect is a weird looking telegraph pole. It's brown, slightly larger in width but made of metal and only about 3/4 of the height. Doesn't look like a mobile phone mast. Sending an email to the council asking them what it might be. Also happens maybe 2 times out of 10 right at the bottom of my road before I turn onto the road that has that "telegraph pole".

I like mysteries.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I also set FCO from Fast to Normal and so far no more issues

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,432 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm getting confused, so I went and collected all my settings:
  • SCC response = Normal;
  • Under Driving assists:
- Vehicle departure alert = On;
- Lane Follow A = On;
  • DAW (driver attention warning) = Normal;
  • Warning Timing = Normal (I'm not sure what this relates to, the other option is Later);
  • Forward Safety = Active Assist (other options Warning and Off);
  • Lane Safety = Lane Keeping Assist (other options are LDWarning and Off);
  • Blind Spot Safety = Cross traffic Safety is On, and Active Assist is On;
@Xinix which one is FCO?
I might try the SCC response to Slow, but to be honest the SCC was fine for me as it is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm getting confused, so I went and collected all my settings:

@Xinix which one is FCO?
I might try the SCC response to Slow, but to be honest the SCC was fine for me as it is.
Sorry, slip of the keyboard. I meant FCA. I think that´s the warning timing but when I get into the car I´ll double check. But I seem to recall there´s a setting to determine how quick the car responds to a possible danger. It was set to Fast and I set it to Normal.

Then again, I have had only one phantom brake event and that was a bit of a confusing situation, so maybe the setting worked and maybe I got unlucky when it suddenly started braking that one time.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts