Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title, but whatever VW call it.
There's 2 things I miss from the Niro, the lane keep assist and the range. My wife misses the heated steering wheel.
The ID3 will sort the range for me and the heated steering wheel for my wife but what about the 'assisted steering'

I'm sure it's in a post somewhere, abs will be explained badly on the VW website of I looked hard enough, but I'm being lazy.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
Yes, it has the lane assist function.

I actually quite like it on the motorway, but it’s the first thing I turn off on the typical B roads around here, where the edge of the road and the centre of it are often not wide enough for a car!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you telepath this to me? I was just looking at the terminology VW use. They have 2 systems "Lane Assist" and "Side Assist".
The 1st Edition only has "Lane Assist", it keeps one in the centre of the lane.
Whereas "Side Assist" has a blind spot light built into the door mirror, only available on the Tech, Max and Tour.
Did the Niro have Blind spot detection?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it has the lane assist function.

I actually quite like it on the motorway, but it’s the first thing I turn off on the typical B roads around here, where the edge of the road and the centre of it are often not wide enough for a car!
Does it do a good job of keeping the car in the lane?
That's all the Niro did, and all I want. It could be set so it was only on when the cruise control was on, which was perfect for me.
Kia have Lane Assist as a basic option and it was useless. I assumed the lane assist on the ID3 would be the same.

I looks like they all have lane assist so if that works the only options I want are the matrix lights and alloys.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Does it do a good job of keeping the car in the lane?
That's all the Niro did, and all I want. It could be set so it was only on when the cruise control was on, which was perfect for me.
Kia have Lane Assist as a basic option and it was useless. I assumed the lane assist on the ID3 would be the same.

I looks like they all have lane assist so if that works the only options I want are the matrix lights and alloys.
Yes it does, but like most of these systems it’s road specific. It actually does a very good job of identifying the edges of roads even without lines etc, but I’ve found it does take corrective action quite late sometimes in those circumstances.

On A roads and Motorways when presumably it has a better view of things, and you’re travelling more quickly, it does seem to gently nudge a lot earlier to suggest the line you should be taking.

I haven’t noticed whether you can set it to only be on when ACC is selected, I don’t think so as it’s either off or on, but of course that might change going forward with the software revisions.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you telepath this to me? I was just looking at the terminology VW use. They have 2 systems "Lane Assist" and "Side Assist".
The 1st Edition only has "Lane Assist", it keeps one in the centre of the lane.
Whereas "Side Assist" has a blind spot light built into the door mirror, only available on the Tech, Max and Tour.
Did the Niro have Blind spot detection?
Ha ha, didn't know I had the ability to telepathy quotations!

It didn't have blind spot detection, and I don't mind that as I'm well trained in looking over my shoulder before pulling out. I can't imagine missing side assist.

Are they the only two options? I thought there was more of a 'self driving' option.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I've got Lane Assist on Life model. Have turned it off. asap. I can take the gentle tug on a motorway, but it's a pain & a danger if it tugs as I'm doing a country-lane-verge manoeuvre on the single-track-with-passing-places roads nearby. VW in their new minimalist way have hidden this setting way down in some menu, needs looking at the screen to do all this & press corect portion of screen to toggle. Impossible to change safely while on the move.

My dealer took me through the menus; when he came to that one with the various safety-stuff bits in, he told me he turns this off as he can't stand it. I agree.

Hyundai Ioniq has a single button on panel at RHS behing steering wheel to toggle this. Easy
VW has complex menu-search to toggle this. Hard.

Hyundai got it right.
VW screwed up.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got Lane Assist on Life model. Have turned it off. asap. I can take the gentle tug on a motorway, but it's a pain & a danger if it tugs as I'm doing a country-lane-verge manoeuvre on the single-track-with-passing-places roads nearby. VW in their new minimalist way have hidden this setting way down in some menu, needs looking at the screen to do all this & press corect portion of screen to toggle. Impossible to change safely while on the move.

My dealer took me through the menus; when he came to that one with the various safety-stuff bits in, he told me he turns this off as he can't stand it. I agree.

Hyundai Ioniq has a single button on panel at RHS behing steering wheel to toggle this. Easy

Hyundai got it right.
VW screwed up.
In the Niro it could be linked to the cruise control and that was perfect. I agree it was only good on main roads.
Can it be switched on/off with the voice control?
@Tooks how do you switch it on or off, sounds like you use it on main roads only.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts

Hyundai got it right.
VW screwed up.
I have seen it stated that the lane assist function is required to get a EuroNCAP five stars. And it is now a requirement that it cannot be cancelled with a single click. Hence it is burried in menus.

I hate it too!

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
In the Niro it could be linked to the cruise control and that was perfect. I agree it was only good on main roads.
Can it be switched on/off with the voice control?
@Tooks how do you switch it on or off, sounds like you use it on main roads only.
I press the Assist button on the lower panel, that brings up the assist menu, from there you click on the 3 lines representing another menu, then switch lane assist to off.

It‘s 3 prods of a finger, which is why it’s best to do it before you set off. As @TomH says, I believe it’s a requirement that it can’t be easily turned off.

It does link to the Emergency assist function should you become incapacitated and unresponsive at the wheel, where the car will attempt to keep in the lane whilst it brings itself to a controlled stop, so I can see why they’d not want it turned off easily.

I’d disagree it’s dangerous on B roads, more annoying really, the tug on the wheel is gentle and can easily be overcome by driver input.

Welcome to the future, apparently...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I also worry about anything that's attempting to track the white lines/dashes at side of road, and uses that to guide the car. Tesla had a fatal when their very sophisticated camera system followed a triangular area with shaded white lines that was getting wider. It followed the left edge of this area, which was the slip-lane exit off dual carriageway wih bridge coming up ahead. The body of the car drove onto the ever-widening hatched area, then ploughed into an energy-absorbing crash-barrier protecting the concrete pillar of the bridge. Unfortunately, this crash barrier had already been flattened by pevious impacts, so no energy got absorbed in this case. Tragic.

I am not yet convinced that VW's camera system is necessarily more sophisticated/well developed than Tesla's was back then, and I'm certainly not going to trust my life or hand over any driving esponsibility to that particular feature. Happy to have stuff that adds to my abilities, radar ACC etc, those don't really take away the need to concentrate, and I can't see them doing anyhing too dangerous (unless it brakes unexpectedly, but tha probably means I'm doing somehing wrong to begin with).

Image processing & line following is not a trivial task. Add in broken/warn lines, etc, just makes it exponentially harder.

Some years back, a US project tried ot get an autonomous vehicle to follow a path between 2 well defined lines. Front-facing camera took a picture of what was ahead, looked for two sharp edges, one on left, one on right, converging slightly, and steered the vehicle between the 2 lines. Easy task to follow a perfectly marked one-way street with no obstacles whatsoever. Even I could code that one up!

They tested this out in the open air somewhere, roughish terrain (I think this was a military off-road thing). Camera saw a tall tree with no branches to speak of in frame, edge-detected it, got 2 nice converging edges, and drove straight into the tree!

It's the same issue as Tesla have. How do you distinguish what's a proper line, from what's been painted in error, or painted correctly but with a different meaning than expected. You need a very, very sophisticated model in the car's brain to handle this stuff.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the Niro lane assist dangerous on small country roads, and I still do lots of that type of driving. With a car coming the other way it is necessary to get very close to the side of the road at times and the Niro would try to steer me away from the edge. I had it happen 2 or 3 times and then switched it off every time I got in the car. It was also annoying on main roads as it didn't really help.

Their LKAS was an additional feature and was set to only come on when the cruise control was active. It still wasn't accurate enough to steer the car fully but I did try taking my hands off the wheel and it would follow the lane fairly accurately, but not accurately enough to be able to switch off. It sounds like it would be the sort of thing that would annoy me but it just made driving on main roads easier, especially at night.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also worry about anything that's attempting to track the white lines/dashes at side of road, and uses that to guide the car. Tesla had a fatal when their very sophisticated camera system followed a triangular area with shaded white lines that was getting wider. It followed the left edge of this area, which was the slip-lane exit off dual carriageway wih bridge coming up ahead. The body of the car drove onto the ever-widening hatched area, then ploughed into an energy-absorbing crash-barrier protecting the concrete pillar of the bridge. Unfortunately, this crash barrier had already been flattened by pevious impacts, so no energy got absorbed in this case. Tragic.

I am not yet convinced that VW's camera system is necessarily more sophisticated/well developed than Tesla's was back then, and I'm certainly not going to trust my life or hand over any driving esponsibility to that particular feature. Happy to have stuff that adds to my abilities, radar ACC etc, those don't really take away the need to concentrate, and I can't see them doing anyhing too dangerous (unless it brakes unexpectedly, but tha probably means I'm doing somehing wrong to begin with).

Image processing & line following is not a trivial task. Add in broken/warn lines, etc, just makes it exponentially harder.

Some years back, a US project tried ot get an autonomous vehicle to follow a path between 2 well defined lines. Front-facing camera took a picture of what was ahead, looked for two sharp edges, one on left, one on right, converging slightly, and steered the vehicle between the 2 lines. Easy task to follow a perfectly marked one-way street with no obstacles whatsoever. Even I could code that one up!

They tested this out in the open air somewhere, roughish terrain (I think this was a military off-road thing). Camera saw a tall tree with no branches to speak of in frame, edge-detected it, got 2 nice converging edges, and drove straight into the tree!

It's the same issue as Tesla have. How do you distinguish what's a proper line, from what's been painted in error, or painted correctly but with a different meaning than expected. You need a very, very sophisticated model in the car's brain to handle this stuff.
Not after full self driving, I think that's many years away, just like being kept in the middle of the lane.
I still expect to have to steer the car but the assistance is helpful.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I press the Assist button on the lower panel, that brings up the assist menu, from there you click on the 3 lines representing another menu, then switch lane assist to off.

It‘s 3 prods of a finger, which is why it’s best to do it before you set off. As @TomH says, I believe it’s a requirement that it can’t be easily turned off.

It does link to the Emergency assist function should you become incapacitated and unresponsive at the wheel, where the car will attempt to keep in the lane whilst it brings itself to a controlled stop, so I can see why they’d not want it turned off easily.

I’d disagree it’s dangerous on B roads, more annoying really, the tug on the wheel is gentle and can easily be overcome by driver input.

Welcome to the future, apparently...
Do you have to switch it off every time you start the car?

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Do you have to switch it off every time you start the car?
Yep!

Unless by happy accident a software glitch has done it for you! 😂

I believe it’s like that on all new cars, certainly from the VAG group, can’t be a one switch job to comply with the latest NCAP guidance.

My old GTE had lane assist, a more basic version than on the ID.3 and that did remember being turned off.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
But this is the point that most people are missing with systems like this, they are merely active safety aids, and are not self driving tech.

You absolutely shouldn’t be handing over any driving responsibility to such systems, but I can see how they might avert an accident during a moments inattention.

Certainly, I cannot see how the ID.3 lane assist system would even attempt to take you up an exit slip road anyway.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep!

Unless by happy accident a software glitch has done it for you!

I believe it’s like that on all new cars, certainly from the VAG group, can’t be a one switch job to comply with the latest NCAP guidance.

My old GTE had lane assist, a more basic version than on the ID.3 and that did remember being turned off.
Half of the week my driving is on narrow country roads and on those I found it dangerous in the Niro. At least with that one press of the button and it was switched off.

If I get an ID3 and it's the same I think I'll be writing to NCAP. They need to make sure the features work well in all situations before making them hard to switch off.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Half of the week my driving is on narrow country roads and on those I found it dangerous in the Niro. At least with that one press of the button and it was switched off.

If I get an ID3 and it's the same I think I'll be writing to NCAP. They need to make sure the features work well in all situations before making them hard to switch off.
I haven’t experienced anything strong enough to force me into the path of an oncoming vehicle, it’s very easy to override and hold your own line.

In fact I’d say the ID.3 is quite happy to let you trash your near side alloys and tyres! 😉 It’ll just beep at you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Same. When driving home from the dealership I felt the car lightly adjust itself but in no way is it dangerous. In fact I found auto braking and steering made my whole journey home easier but I can understand how it could be disconcerting for those not in the know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts