Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 Golf GTE which despite being higher mileage than most 83k it's driving and performing fantastic.

I just checked if there was any outstanding recalls on the car as I know VW have recalled some GTEs over the years to find a vet recent recall which is 93C9 S-Repair High Voltage Battery with a recall date just over a month ago 8/9/20. See below

Does anyone have any ideas what this recall involves? I know VW were recalling some GTEs that had a water ingress issue to the batteries and they were sealing them up but that has a different recall number and description.

I imagine it's a very long shot but if it means they need to replace the batteries this would be great, they are holding up brilliantly but a set of brand new batteries would still be a great result

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Resealing the battery, or replacing the battery if water has made its way in.

Mine was replaced at ca. 50k miles, gained 3 miles on the "GOM" so back to the 31 miles factory performance, although that has mostly evened out now (I still occasionally see 30 miles full charge but only on warm days)

I can only guess the different code is for a different model year or battery variant. Passat GTE and some e-Golf have had the same service applied. Expensive gluing mistake!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resealing the battery, or replacing the battery if water has made its way in.

Mine was replaced at ca. 50k miles, gained 3 miles on the "GOM" so back to the 31 miles factory performance, although that has mostly evened out now (I still occasionally see 30 miles full charge but only on warm days)

I can only guess the different code is for a different model year or battery variant. Passat GTE and some e-Golf have had the same service applied. Expensive gluing mistake!
Thanks for the explanation that's what I had read but under a different recall code and description.

Its probably wrong to say this but kind of hoping moisture has found its way in as a replacement battery would be ideal. My GOM has 27 on a full charge this time of year which is still good considering the age and mileage but I think a full new setup would be much appreciated by the old girl.

I assume its just a call to the local dealership to get booked in?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Wow ...... It has taken a long time for VW ( or the previous owner ) a long time to have the HV battery pack checked !.
A 2015 model that has only recently had the pack checked is a bit odd.
I had an early July 2015 GTE that was recalled and checked 18 months ago.
Mine was the eleventh car that dealer had checked and only one had received a new pack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right doesn't sound like there's much chance of getting a battery. Yeah what's even more strange is the car was only sold from Darlington VW back in March this year. But if you look at the recall it only has a date of last month?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
VW sometimes don't know if the recall is done. They even got my postcode wrong despite copying it from the DVLA database. Therefore I recommend you contact VW customer services to get confirmation that the service needs to be done. You would have thought a VW-dealer-sold car would have all recalls up to date but then again the dealers often seem to have their head in cloud cuckoo land!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
VW sometimes don't know if the recall is done. They even got my postcode wrong despite copying it from the DVLA database. Therefore I recommend you contact VW customer services to get confirmation that the service needs to be done. You would have thought a VW-dealer-sold car would have all recalls up to date but then again the dealers often seem to have their head in cloud cuckoo land!
It's a BIT of a long shot, but just check the cars paper service history book.
There is a section ( in the back I think it was ) for the dealer to list and enter any recall work.
To be fair, the dealer in Stockport ( Manchester ) who did the recall on my old GTE did take the time to make the entry log for work in the service book.
If I remember correctly, the entry was short and sweet - but it was there !.
It said something along the lines of :- "High voltage battery recall completed".
Not sure, but it MAY of had the VW recall code written along side the hand written entry and the VW dealers stamp.
I am unable to show you sorry, because I do not own the car anymore.
When I asked the service advisor what work had been carried out, he had to go back to the office and retrieve the work sheet.
I held out my hand in order to read the work sheet and he said :- "I am okay to tell you what is on the sheet, but I am not permitted to let you handle the paper work sorry, it's company policy".
It was then he explained that the HV battery had been removed and the case was split open, the cells checked for water ingress ( all okay ) and both sides of the casing had been replaced, and the HV battery fitted and the car was road tested.
Strange, because the car only had one additional mile added to the odometer when we pulled away from the garage !.
They do not disconnect the 12 volt battery to carry out the work, so all your personal settings are retained.
@tom66 makes a good point about each dealer retaining their own personal history on your car.
The service advisor at Stockport was quick enough to remind us that the brake fluid change was WELL over due and it's annual service was due NOW.
They where fishing for the work to put money through the till while my car was in for warranty work !.
Had they checked the FRONT section of the service history book, they would have seen it had all been done only 3 weeks earlier at my local VW dealer.
I know some people regard the old paper service book to be "Old School" now.
I don't support this theory at all sorry, because some of the work done in different dealers are only recorded at that particular branch.
The back up of a paper service history book that is stamped up to date is evidence that just could avoid can work and cost being duplicated.
When selling your privately the fully stamped up service book, by a main agent is invaluable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just double checked the workshop notes in the back of my service history book but there's nothing additional been written in there. I'll check with the local dealership tomorrow morning but I would say it's still due a recall

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2015 car. Been serviced 3 times at the same dealer. Last month they listed "93C9 Repair High Voltage battery"

Never got a letter from VW like a lot of people did

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to the warranty coordinator at my local VW dealership about it this morning, she said she checked and the 9CC9 recall is outstanding, but they could not do the recall as there are only 15 sites around the UK that are authorised to complete this recall. My closest is Stockport I believe which will be roughly about an hour and a half away, they said I have call customer services directly to arrange which I have done.

VW customer services took all my details and said someone would call me back within 48 hours to arrange the recall.

Just so I know what to say will I be within my rights to request them to collect and deliver the car and provide a courtesy car? I need my vehicle to get to work and back and really don’t have the time to drive all the way to Stockport and back twice!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just had my 5th service today (JCB Medway who are pretty good to deal with). I was advised I needed this recall but have had nothing previously from VW and the car is serviced every October (2015 car and I'm the only owner)). JCB can't do this work and advised that the dealer that can (over an hour away) should collect my car and leave me with one. We'll see whether they are correct! I've just written to VW customer service as I can't be bothered to chase a dealer I don't deal with who'll probably deny all knowledge of the situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VW Phoned me back they are getting in contact with Salford VW who have said they will contact me to arrange a date to collect the vehicle and leave me with a courtesy car. They explained they are very busy currently so it will be a few weeks, but all seems acceptable service

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like good service. I'll pass my experience along when the car is booked in. I'm rather hoping the battery has water ingress as it's 5 years old but suspect it is probably okay, although clearly has lost some capacity Vs when I had it from new.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ter ingress as it's 5 years old but suspect it is probably okay, although clearly has lost some capacity Vs when I had it from new.
That's exactly how I feel as mine is also a 2015 so would be nice to have it replaced, but it still gets 28 miles on the GOM this time of year so cant be in that bad of a way!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're doing well. Nothing like 28 miles on the GOM at the moment. I've not seen 28 miles for a long time. Charged most days and used 99% for short local trips.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're doing well. Nothing like 28 miles on the GOM at the moment. I've not seen 28 miles for a long time. Charged most days and used 99% for short local trips.
I have only just got the car 2 weeks ago, I will be honest I am not getting the full 28 miles range even driving like a granny, but the GOM definitely shows that after each charge. It actually showed 29 miles the other day! Realistically I'm getting more 20-25 miles depending on speed, going to work is better than coming back there's more uphill on the way home!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Even on the brand new battery getting 30-31 miles is a real push and requires seriously economical driving.

Real world range in summer with good driving is 23-25 miles, maybe around 18-20 miles in winter, so what you're achieving is about right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even on the brand new battery getting 30-31 miles is a real push and requires seriously economical driving.

Real world range in summer with good driving is 23-25 miles, maybe around 18-20 miles in winter, so what you're achieving is about right.
Yeah my commute to work is 17 miles each way so obviously I charge each way but so far I managed to do it all with electric. Not going to lie I am driving very economically to achieve it, but this morning with pre-heating, then not running the heaters to work I still have 8 miles left in the GOM after driving 17 miles to work! Could have got half way back home again!

On the way home I have anywhere from 1 - 4 miles remaining usually so its working perfectly for me, getting home may be a little tricky in the dead of winter with minus temperatures but we will see, I would guessing switching to hybrid for the 6 miles of dual carriageway I have would be the best bet.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
My closest is Stockport I believe which will be roughly about an hour and a half away, they said I have call customer services directly to arrange which I have done.
Stockport, that is where my GTE had the battery recall done.
It was about a 1.20minute drive from home to the dealership.
I told the VW booking advisor I was not prepared to make four trips in a single day, so they agreed to give me a loan car over three days.
They gave me a almost brand new Passat GTE while my car was being worked on.
We dropped off the car at about 9.15am on the day, but I am pretty sure the car never got touched until the following day.
On day two, they called to say the car SHOULD be ready for collection at around 4.30pm.
I told them there was NO way I setting out to drive to Stockport that late in the day.
The loan car had been booked out for three days and we would return the loan car as agreed on the third day.
We collected the car around 10.00am the next day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts