Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been pondering.....
Fact............ Chargemaster list Nissan as a partner on its home page.
Fact........... The vast majority of UKs best selling EV, the Leaf, have an on board 16amp only charger. That fact includes the Gen 2 vehicles.
Fact ............Nissan charge a lot of money to upgrade to 6.6kw charger especially once you realise you have to fork out for the 3 pin EVSE lead separately.
Fact............Chargemaster posts all need RFID cards and Sim cards to tell base the amount of electricity used for charging fee purposes.
Question....Can we assume they can easily deduce from that the rate of consumption in time, is the ID card application not vehicle make and model specific like the home charger is?
Question.......If they know the rate the car charges at then why have they made absolutely no allowance in pricing between 16 amp and 32 amp charge compatibility when this doubles the cost to the majority of UK Leafs on the road ? They state that (inflated) electricity costs make up part of their overhead costs. They could also have differently priced ID card subscriptions to reflect this too!
Fact....... Nissan GB has skin in the game of selling cars at full price and with the (over priced?) charger upgrade as an add on to the Leaf but it must be done whilst placing an order and they have stated there is no prospect of retrofitting the 6.6kw charger post production line.
Fact........Nissan will invalidate the warranty if the car charging system is modified by the user.
Fact........Chargemaster charging policy therefore has two immediate beneficial effects to Nissan who are already selling a lot more cars prior to CMs. prices being announced;
1. More people will spec a new car on the production line in order to get the 32 amp on board charger. This means they will pay full dealer prices instead of make saving on pre-registered low mile examples unless dealers suddenly find the cash to spec 32amp demo cars.
2. Nissan gets the full price for the 32 Amp charger upgrade and can still ask a pretty sum for the EVSE lead.
Question....Is CM's pricing likely to dent or bolster Nissan profit/loss account in the future?
Question...Has anybody seen any evidence anywhere to suggest Nissan are against the Chargemaster cost structure, especially the parity for both 16 Amp (3.3kw)and 32 Amp (6.6kw) rate charging and if not why not I wonder:confused:o_O?
Fact...I know I am cynical:p

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Interesting but Cynical IMO :) Sorry :)

I can't imagine that this is anything like as preconceived as you suggest. I am not arguing with your opinion as your argument sounds plausible but it would require a degree of planning, forethought and collaboration that I can't imagine exists between CM and Nissan. Nissan have larger fish to fry IMO than messing around with CM in that way.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I agree with @Paul_Churchley and believe this is the result of a poorly understood and execute plan not an orchestrated conspiracy as you've set out.

IMO government, olev, the car companies, the infrastructure companies, and even the consumer, has had a part to play in 'delivering' the EV market that we see today. I'm sure that the future will be very different and I hope better for EV drivers :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting but Cynical IMO :) Sorry :)

I can't imagine that this is anything like as preconceived as you suggest. I am not arguing with your opinion as your argument sounds plausible but it would require a degree of planning, forethought and collaboration that I can't imagine exists between CM and Nissan. Nissan have larger fish to fry IMO than messing around with CM in that way.
Yes I wasn't suggesting it was necessarily planned but given that the new fee charge structure for 16&32 Amp equipped cars is identical, handicapping the great majority of Nissan Leafs in use , why the continued silence? I couldn't find anything on Nissan Leaf Facebook page about this.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Nissan and CM are have one thing in common... they are both almost totally uncommunicative! I have no surprise that there is a continued silence over any issue... another symptom of flawed PR IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts