Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Zelda - 2015 Renault Zoe Q210 (Dynamique Intens)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have a suspicion this might have come up before, but all the threads I can see on battery drain are about when the car is parked and left for periods of time.

Can anyone let me know if the 12v battery is liable to get run down when I'm:
A. Sat in here with music and/or lights on whilst charging
B. Doing the same unplugged

My understanding is that when the car is "running", the inverter keeps the lead-acid battery nicely topped up, like an alternator would, but I'm unsure if this would happen when the car is parked. I'd be mighty surprised if it would be possible to kill the 12v system whilst the charger is going, but I've learned weirder quirks about this car.

I have a 2015 Zoe Dynamique Intens Q210, for context.

Cheers

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,716 Posts
A: no
B: no, with a few assumptions: traction battery is not running on it's last legs, car is awake (red LED in the emergency flasher button / lock button is on; I forgot which one it is in).

Having said that, you can run down the 12v battery when it is parked, your question is slightly ambiguous as it can be parked but not in either of the A and B scenario. Actually, I bet it's almost never parked in the A or B scenario, unless you absolutely love to listen to music in your car, or to light up the street, while it is parked. ;)

Come on then, give us the quirks you learned? :D (sorry, teasing, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
747 Posts
well - not charging the dash and radio will all go blank and turn off after about 10mins when car is not in its 'ready' state on the dash ... and so for that point only I am going to say it all does that to stop running down the 12v battery.
When charging the Dash stays on telling you the percentage (and I am presuming radio maybe?) because the type2 charging is not only topping up your traction battery its topping up the 12v battery too (until it gets to 13.8v I am presuming then stops charging the 12v battery??)

other than that, I think when you open the drivers door and the spinning car on the dash happens the DC-DC converter/inverter ( 380v DC - 12vDC) checks the 12v battery and if it needs charging it does?

I might be wrong, but thats how i presume it all works.

- sorry about the loads of presuming :)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,716 Posts
@Andy-Zoé-User Sort of. The car stays awake if it is "started" (silly nomenclature but hey ho). But correct that it shuts down the entire aux bus when it goes to sleep. Ditto lights: when it is not "started" you can only switch the headlights on timer based by pulling the main beams stalk.

The 12 volt system AFAIK simply provides 13.8 volts. Lead acid batteries are basically voltage controlled (yes I know, it's more complicated), but the car simply keeping the entire bus on that voltage whenever it can and is in essence keeping it full all the time. And staying full is what lead acid batteries like best. There's more going on (pulsing, and if I remember correctly the bus is kept on 13.4 while charging), but the overall picture is about right: the DCDC does not "stop charging". It simply keeps the bus voltage. Same with door open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts