Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,787 Posts
A: no
B: no, with a few assumptions: traction battery is not running on it's last legs, car is awake (red LED in the emergency flasher button / lock button is on; I forgot which one it is in).

Having said that, you can run down the 12v battery when it is parked, your question is slightly ambiguous as it can be parked but not in either of the A and B scenario. Actually, I bet it's almost never parked in the A or B scenario, unless you absolutely love to listen to music in your car, or to light up the street, while it is parked. ;)

Come on then, give us the quirks you learned? :D (sorry, teasing, couldn't resist)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,787 Posts
@Andy-Zoé-User Sort of. The car stays awake if it is "started" (silly nomenclature but hey ho). But correct that it shuts down the entire aux bus when it goes to sleep. Ditto lights: when it is not "started" you can only switch the headlights on timer based by pulling the main beams stalk.

The 12 volt system AFAIK simply provides 13.8 volts. Lead acid batteries are basically voltage controlled (yes I know, it's more complicated), but the car simply keeping the entire bus on that voltage whenever it can and is in essence keeping it full all the time. And staying full is what lead acid batteries like best. There's more going on (pulsing, and if I remember correctly the bus is kept on 13.4 while charging), but the overall picture is about right: the DCDC does not "stop charging". It simply keeps the bus voltage. Same with door open.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.