Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The base spec Life is £29,170 after the change to £2,500 but the Business will now be £35,400 I know the Business has a few added features over the Life but that is a huge jump in price over £6K more, it doesn't seem a compelling offer over the Life.

I notice the configurator has yet to be updated on the VW UK website. I wonder if they are in meetings about pricing at Milton Keynes as we speak? Will they drop the Business below the £35K limit? but then who will order a Family that just adds heating controls and a glass roof?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I suspect they will have "deals" available to bring both just under the threshold.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
314 Posts
I would imagine VW UK have been discussing this... Interesting that it's list price that matters, so discounting won't help.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the car manufacturers deal with this. I think most people would believe that the £3000 subsidy was just used by them to up the prices of the cars by £3000. Look at the £350 grant for chargers. I would imagine that if the grant was removed a lot of the chargers would suddenly fall in price.

This change does make me glad that we changed the wife's factory order Family to a pre-reg car...

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would imagine VW UK have been discussing this... Interesting that it's list price that matters, so discounting won't help.
Perhaps we will see a drop but with a lot more extras that can be added like they already did with alloys on most models.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Perhaps we will see a drop but with a lot more extras that can be added like they already did with alloys on most models.
I don't imagine there will be any adjustment to the base spec of the cars to take this change into account. Certainly not in the short term. It's UK only & adjusting what is or is not built into a car at manufacture is a huge undertaking.

Although the change of the threshold does come slap in the middle of the ID.3 range, so I'm sure there will be some adjustments after some time. Specifically the Family model, which is (or was) probably a popular model choice.

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The spec of the car in any market (with VW anyway) is decided by the local importer not the factory. They pick from a range of options that the factory say they can build and the importers have to commit to ordering a certain number of cars. Observe the difference between ID.3 spec in the republic Ireland (also RHD) and the UK. They do order a long way in advance however so no change in spec would happen quickly I expect.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
The spec of the car in any market (with VW anyway) is decided by the local importer not the factory. They pick from a range of options that the factory say they can build and the importers have to commit to ordering a certain number of cars. Observe the difference between ID.3 spec in the republic Ireland (also RHD) and the UK. They do order a long way in advance however so no change in spec would happen quickly I expect.
What are the differences between the ROI spec and the UK ones?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will, grant includes discounts prior to sale;

3.3 Any discount (including rebates) offered on the vehicle to the customer by either the dealer or the company must be applied to the price before the application of the grant.

From; https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/936572/plug-in-portal-guidance.pdf
That link is to the PIVG guidance which is slightly different from the PICG guidance. (which can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g.../plug-in-car-grant-guidance-vehicle-notes.pdf)

In that is states "The definition of price...excludes...discounts (including rebates) "

I'd suggest that VW will just get rid of the models (Life, Business, Family etc). Instead you'll just buy a life but spec a range of options such as "The Family Pack" or "The Business Pack".

Very easy for them to implement, doesn't make any difference to their bottom line and means that all models are illegible for the PICG. The only optional extras that can't be speced without effecting the PICG eligibility are "any non-standard option fitted by the manufacturer or dealer affecting the capacity of the battery, drive train configuration or maximum net power. "

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd suggest that VW will just get rid of the models (Life, Business, Family etc). Instead you'll just buy a life but spec a range of options such as "The Family Pack" or "The Business Pack".
Interesting lateral thinking my friend, I wonder what they will come up with, but that sounds like a useful possible work around.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
That link is to the PIVG guidance which is slightly different from the PICG guidance. (which can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g.../plug-in-car-grant-guidance-vehicle-notes.pdf)

In that is states "The definition of price...excludes...discounts (including rebates) "

Very easy for them to implement, doesn't make any difference to their bottom line and means that all models are illegible for the PICG. The only optional extras that can't be speced without effecting the PICG eligibility are "any non-standard option fitted by the manufacturer or dealer affecting the capacity of the battery, drive train configuration or maximum net power. "
Thanks for that - I hadn't realised that they'd spent so much money differentiating between vehicles and cars :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
It will, grant includes discounts prior to sale;

3.3 Any discount (including rebates) offered on the vehicle to the customer by either the dealer or the company must be applied to the price before the application of the grant.

From; https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/936572/plug-in-portal-guidance.pdf
But that reads to me like any discounts you get off the RRP from the dealer/company must be re-applied to the price before applying for the grant, so the dealer could give you £5000 off, but you have to add that to the price you actually pay when applying for the grant. So it could easily put the “official“ price above the grant level.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I suspect they will have "deals" available to bring both just under the threshold.
It's based on RRP so that's not going to help

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
188 Posts
Wonder what happens to those of us that still have vehicles on order?
My understanding that changes in Taxation and duty are exempt from the VW price promise.
I would hope VW will do the right thing and absorb the delta for pre-ordered vehicles

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wonder what happens to those of us that still have vehicles on order?
My understanding that changes in Taxation and duty are exempt from the VW price promise.
I would hope VW will do the right thing and absorb the delta for pre-ordered vehicles
Orders placed before 7am this morning will still be able to make use of the grant.
Basically the changes to the grant will only apply to people who haven't yet placed their order, irrespective of when they actually get their car.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
314 Posts
Orders placed before 7am this morning will still be able to make use of the grant.
Basically the changes to the grant will only apply to people who haven't yet placed their order, irrespective of when they actually get their car.
The dealership I've been working with told me they have five people who have orders in already who will now no longer get the grant...

1 - 20 of 144 Posts