Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am thinking of buying a 2018 Golf GTE soon. The full electric mode sounds great, but the real perk is doing longer trips (150-200 miles) in GTE mode. Therefore I wonder: Will the hybrid mode or GTE mode empty the battery, or will it keep battery power for accelleration and power? I don’t want to be stuck with carrying all the weight using only the petrol engine on longer trips.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
In GTE mode, the car will always try to keep around 12 miles of battery power available, so that GTE mode still works.

In Hybrid mode, it will aim to keep 3 miles, so that the engine can still spend a good amount of time not running if conditions are right.

On longer journeys I used to just stick mine in Hybrid Auto and let it get on with it. You can always invoke GTE mode by pressing past the detent with the accelerator in any mode anyway.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I can confirm that if you aggressively drive for long enough the battery in at least regular hybrid mode will discharge to the point where 'boost' is not available. However the car will of course keep on running with the engine and will progressively recharge the battery from the engine and regen braking. This actually doesn't take much - regular hybrid mode keeps the battery at 2-3 miles charge so more than about five boost events and power fade will occur. That does require some quite sporty driving with overtaking though - so perhaps not recommended unless you are on very quiet roads?

To do the same in regular 'GTE' mode would be quite difficult without getting Plod involved, I suspect - may require an Autobahn test?

If you drive normally in either mode you will not discharge the battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can confirm that if you aggressively drive for long enough the battery in at least regular hybrid mode will discharge to the point where 'boost' is not available. However the car will of course keep on running with the engine and will progressively recharge the battery from the engine and regen braking. This actually doesn't take much - regular hybrid mode keeps the battery at 2-3 miles charge so more than about five boost events and power fade will occur. That does require some quite sporty driving with overtaking though - so perhaps not recommended unless you are on very quiet roads?
Out of curiosity, does boost only happen in regular hybrid when you floor it (like when you'd expect kickdown to happen) or does it boost for anything beyond gentle acceleration? My GTE test drive was back in February, and I can't remember how eager boost was in hybrid auto...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes, you only get boost in hybrid mode if you press the pedal to kickdown, it essentially emulates kickdown that other cars have. The electric motor is almost always providing some assistance even to the regular engine except in the rarer case where the hybrid battery has been run completely flat; in which case the engine runs continuously for about 5 minutes as a generator, to get at least 1 mile of range into the battery.

Pretty much all GTE Mode is a more aggressive accelerator, brake and steering map, with gear changes happening a little sooner as a result. To maintain sporty feel, the engine stays on above about 40 mph in GTE Mode in all cases, whereas in the regular hybrid mode it will switch off while coasting and under light acceleration. It's fundamentally fairly similar to the regular hybrid mode, the maximum power output is identical*, and besides the 1% or saving you get from having the engine switch off during coasting, it's pretty much equally as fuel efficient on cruise.

*Don't believe me? Floor it in both hybrid mode and GTE and acceleration is essentially identical.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the explanation @tom66, much appreciated.

Floor it in both hybrid mode and GTE and acceleration is essentially identical.
That I remember doing during the test drive - flooring it is a very important part of any test drive ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts