Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my Leaf the car would learn my driving style and adjust the range to suit that, is this the same in the MG... say I had drove all week on the motorway would this be reflected on the GOM at start up compared to if I had drove on 30 roads for a week or does the GOM reading always give a max possible estimated miles after a charge? (I know it will change again during the drive, I'm just wanting to know if the start up GOM reading is adjusted due to the previous trips driving style)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
No, it doesn't appear to take the history into account after a full charge. Mine nearly always says 169 miles available.

IIRC the Zoe didn't either. I think it nearly always said 128 miles in the 22 and 240 in the 40.

Reactions: Maxit

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Zoe definitely took recent consumption into account. Even in freezing weather it was on point.

MG is like Tesla, always lists WLTP range.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
IIRC mine always listed WLTP after a charge. Could be a software version thing

Reactions: Maxit and Neilew

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Mine mostly varies with ambient temperature but does also seem to be lower if the previous journey was a motorway thrash, and slightly higher if it was an urban crawl.

I always check it with HVAC on and in Normal drive mode.

Those who like Eco & HVAC off probably still believe in fairies😃

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Those who like Eco & HVAC off probably still believe in fairies😃
Those who believe Eco mode range isn't attainable probably still believe they are efficient drivers. ;) :ROFLMAO:

To be fair I can extract Eco mode range pretty easily when the heater isn't on. But well I live in Scotland so the heater is on quite a lot, I think in Eco mode with heater on I'd still get what Normal mode shows with heater off though.

I've not had my heater on last few days, its been pleasant, had the roof cracked open. Range has been great. But then it got cold over night, heater will most definitely be on if I go out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The GOM does not adapt at all, it’s adjustments are hardwired. For example sport mode/ hvac will drop range by 20 miles at full charge, 10 miles at 50% and 5 miles at 25% approximately. It does not take into account previous or current driving styles.

My GOM assumes I’m averaging 5 miles per kilowatt hour. It says I have 208 miles range on full charge. It was off by over a 100 miles on just one motorway journey!

I’ve learned to do the math in my head and can calculate my range from SOC and current trip mkWh.

Earlier this week with the warm weather I was finding it easy to average 4.6 mkWh, which is range of 190 miles+. In winter with heaters on, 2.2 mkWh was working out to 105 mile range.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Those who believe Eco mode range isn't attainable probably still believe they are efficient drivers. ;) :ROFLMAO:
Heh heh - we both know Eco mode does very little for consumption - how you modulate the power, the speed you travel, and how much braking you do are most important.

As for minimising use of the heater, you don't need Eco mode for that - just set it to the white blob and glove up.

Odd that Eco makes the steering lighter: surely that means the car is using more power in the PAS?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Heh heh - we both know Eco mode does very little for consumption - how you modulate the power, the speed you travel, and how much braking you do are most important.

As for minimising use of the heater, you don't need Eco mode for that - just set it to the white blob and glove up.

Odd that Eco makes the steering lighter: surely that means the car is using more power in the PAS?
I feel a summertime challenge coming on. (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys - I charge every night now and I always have 456v (457v on very first charge but I haven't seen it since). The GOM miles on each charge change, not massively but they do vary... Monday was showing 178 on Eco and today it was 171 (sometimes a slightly larger difference and other times slightly smaller) so I guess it must just be a temperature thing.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Not so sure the claim the ZS doesn't adapt its miles as you drive. Mine was showing 106 yesterday, as I slowed to stop for traffic lights it went back up to 107, where it stayed for the time the lights took to change and about another half a mile then it dropped to 106. Indeed it doesn't bounce up multiple miles like some EVs do, but then it doesn't drop 15miles in 1 mile like some EVs do.

What I have noticed since my car was serviced last week is that although my max V is down at 449 like all those other folk who got the BMS update my range is up, event though the weather has taken a cold turn again. In the last 4 days its rarely been over 5 degrees during the day and as low as minus 1 (where I live) and yet I've been seeing 3.4mpkWh on each trip. Rather than 3.1mpkWh at the end of those same trips the last time it was cold. The couple of warmish days before this cold snap I was seeing 3.6+ and it still wasn't over the 12degrees sweet spot where range seems to increase a lot.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Pretty confident whatever they did to the firmware hasn't improved the laws of physics by 10% ;-)

Still only getting ~39kWh into the pack 0-100% but I don't do 150 mile trips as a rule so if it protects the pack I'm all for it.

Just looks like a WLTP cheat though as brand new cars still seem to arrive with 455V max.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just looks like a WLTP cheat though as brand new cars still seem to arrive with 455V max.
I don't pretend to know how the car industry works but looking up my reg it states manufacturer 2021.

Mine is used and charged daily it has 456v so not the newest update, the balance time isn't right, its taking far longer that the expected 30min to an hour

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I don't pretend to know how the car industry works but looking up my reg it states manufacturer 2021.

Mine is used and charged daily it has 456v so not the newest update, the balance time isn't right, its taking far longer that the expected 30min to an hour
View attachment 143104
And if at the first service they update the BMS to cap at 449V then unless they have dropped the bottom buffer (which I have zero evidence to support as my battery capacity has dropped by 2kWh) they are effectively selling cars with 163 miles WLTP then reducing it to ~155 at the first opportunity to protect the battery pack.

Dodgy much?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And if at the first service they update the BMS to cap at 449V then unless they have dropped the bottom buffer (which I have zero evidence to support as my battery capacity has dropped by 2kWh) they are effectively selling cars with 163 miles WLTP then reducing it to ~155 at the first opportunity to protect the battery pack.

Dodgy much?
Yeah, I'm in no rush for the update... going give it time for opinions to filter through first (I'll put up with the slow balance u till then) - actually everything I've read points at even after the new update and 449v no one has got that balance time down yet either

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s a cheap electric car with cheap software and it’s hard to discuss these issues because we’re all running different firmware

My range is reported different for slow and rapid charge. 200 and 208 respectively.

I think it’s easy to beat the wltp figure 9 months out of the year even with just 40kwh.

I recorded a 2 hour video of my GOM as I blasted down the motorway, mine is inaccurate by 50%. The GOM never adapts to heavy power usage over long journeys or over time.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Lee, your GOM is obviously full of shiz.

Mine (normal mode, HVAC on) seems reasonable: 129 when freezing, 145 mid-summer if I remember.

Since the fixware for the shiteware, it fluctuates with ambient, and also I think with previous driving.

God knows what's going on with yours!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I recorded a 2 hour video of my GOM as I blasted down the motorway, mine is inaccurate by 50%. The GOM never adapts to heavy power usage over long journeys or over time.
I recently did a 146 mile round trip mostly doing between 50-70mph with the aircon on... on returning the start GOM reading was only 11 miles out when compared to actual miles

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s super optimistic, it believes I can average almost 5 miles a kilowatt hour all the time. I also have long equalisation bug. I believe the GOM normally is about 4mkWh on most people’s eZS which is about right.

If my GOM showed 168 mile range, I could tell you with 100% confidence that my state of charge is exactly 84%, this particular to my faulty software.
84% = 37.5 kWh, I would need to average 4.7 mkWh to match the estimate.

i could program a highly accurate and adaptive GOM program using SOC and current trip information, but I’m aware this is a non issue for most owners.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts