Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We currently live in quite a new house and have a pod point charger which was fitted with no issues. We're hoping to move somewhere else in the next few months and have been looking at some older houses. One that we're interested in seems to have quite modern wiring inside the house (modern consumer unit etc) but the actual supply and meter look quite old (have attached a photo).

Does this look like it would support an EV charger? (not sure if it's looped/too old/something else wrong) - is it possible to tell from a photo like this or do we need to get more info/more images?

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
Unfortunately those cobwebs will scare off most electricians when they come to install your charger. ;)

What is the rating of the fuse in the right hand switchfuse?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,073 Posts
Hi,

We currently live in quite a new house and have a pod point charger which was fitted with no issues. We're hoping to move somewhere else in the next few months and have been looking at some older houses. One that we're interested in seems to have quite modern wiring inside the house (modern consumer unit etc) but the actual supply and meter look quite old (have attached a photo).

Does this look like it would support an EV charger? (not sure if it's looped/too old/something else wrong) - is it possible to tell from a photo like this or do we need to get more info/more images?

Thank you for any advice!
A broken switch box with exposed HV terminals! Wow!

I would say an immediate replacement is necessary, and probably need to investigate the rest of the house electrics if that is the starting point for the standard of the rest of it!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
That's indeed pretty old, and has what looks like a 60 A rewireable fused isolator that is in lethal condition and needs immediate replacement - it's an emergency call job to the DNO to get the supply isolated and the repairs made, TBH. What's there is around 40 to 50 years old, even though the meter looks like it was replaced perhaps 30 years ago.

People sometimes think I exaggerate about the poor state of many UK electrical installations, but this is a classic example of a potentially lethal system that is, pretty unbelievably, in use. That's is supposed to be inspected and tested at least every ten years, and yet somehow the lethal state of that thing hasn't been picked up by anyone? Wonder what the person that rewired the place put down on the EIC?

It may be OK to install a charge point to that supply, but the chances are it would need to be load limited. Gven the age of that part of the installation, that it's unlikely to be costly to upgrade the isolator and tails (and needs doing immediately anyway), that a new meter would most probably be installed for free and the main fuse on the incomer is most probably already at least 80 A (should be higher rated than the switched fuse) then I think you may be OK.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Exposed terminals are immediately dangerous, the property owner should call up the utility company immediately, should be the utility companies responsibility.

I'm pretty sure that old MEM rewirable switched fuse will be the consumer's responsibiility in this case, as it's on the consumer side of the meter. Does need the supply to be isolated immediately until the installation is made safe, though.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,004 Posts
I'm pretty sure that old MEM rewirable switched fuse will be the consumer's responsibiility in this case, as it's on the consumer side of the meter. Does need the supply to be isolated immediately until the installation is made safe, though.
Indeed it is, and the fuse holder is marked 60A. The plastic cover has gone walkabouts - was just held on by a screw.
Switch-fuse was what we called in my day.
It's the property owners responsibility as it's on the out side of the meter, but DNO will have to notified that the main fuse needs to be pulled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts