Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous posts have claimed that VW will not honor the 7 year warranty on its EV batteries if the car has been frequently fast charged. Does that mean the car somehow keeps a hidden log of when and how it was charged? If so would it even be legal to use such “hidden logs” against customers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interested to hear what others think. I don't know for a fact. I would sort of assume that the vehicle stores usage data for their diagnostics and for evaluation of trends across the entire fleet of eGolfs on the road. So I would not be surprised if they knew when / how often you used a fast charger. Even so, I wouldn't think they can legally not honor the battery warranty if there was nothing written in the warranty about fast charging.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
There’s nothing in my e-Golf manual or delivery paperwork that states any restrictions around charging.

Other than the age and mileage limits, can’t see a thing.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
I know the Nissan LEAF stores all your charge sessions, you can see it if you connect an OBD dongle so it wouldn't surprise me if VW vehicles also keep logs of this. Nissan also gives you a battery health report following a service where it gives you a star rating. I Often got a lecture when collecting from the dealer that I was rapid charging it too much and that it may cause degradation, but they never once suggested that my warranty would be void as a result. The car should have protection against this behaviour causing an issue, for example slowing the rate of charge to prevent excess heat. And the manufacturer should have confidence that their battery is good enough to last 7 years without significant loss in capacity.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I know the Nissan LEAF stores all your charge sessions, you can see it if you connect an OBD dongle so it wouldn't surprise me if VW vehicles also keep logs of this. Nissan also gives you a battery health report following a service where it gives you a star rating. I Often got a lecture when collecting from the dealer that I was rapid charging it too much and that it may cause degradation, but they never once suggested that my warranty would be void as a result. The car should have protection against this behaviour causing an issue, for example slowing the rate of charge to prevent excess heat. And the manufacturer should have confidence that their battery is good enough to last 7 years without significant loss in capacity.
Ignore any lectures from dealers propagating misinformation. The BMS will look after the battery.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
The LEAF only stores how many of each type of charges you commence, not the remainder of the details such as the temperatures and amount of charge given. However, I suspect that data is sent by the telematics back to Nissan if you agree to let it.
Ignore any lectures from dealers propagating misinformation. The BMS will look after the battery.
If you believe that I'm shocked. o_O

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
When we bought our egolf there was a discussion about this as there was mention about not rapid charging more than 3 as in a row in the manual.
Somehow VW were asked about this as they was contradictory messages in different places and the statement about not charging 3 times I a row was removed from the website/manual/somewhere else so its no longer an issue.

What you will find is that when rapid charging more than 3 or 4 times in a row the car will slow the charge rate to stop the battery temperature getting too hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your returns. I personally do dcc at 22kwh once or twice a week so not too worried. I don’t see how AC charging in between should help :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for your returns. I personally do dcc at 22kwh once or twice a week so not too worried. I don’t see how AC charging in between should help :)
e-Golf battery capacity is c36kWh so charging at 22kW is 0.6C (charge rate measured as a proportion of battery capacity). This is really quite low. It can't possibly be an issue, VW has got things really badly wrong if it is...and we'd know about it by now. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, VW has warranty wording in USA that threatens voiding support if pack is abused, but “frequent DC fast charging” is very open to interpretation. Does VW computer log charge sessions? Who knows, but I don’t see why not possible - remember, VW is good at programming computers for its benefit. High temps is major killer of batteries, and high speed driving (high amp draw) and DCFC are probably best way to raise battery temps fast. BMS can slow down amps but since e-Golf has no active thermal management, cooling rate is determined by ambient temps. AC charging in between multiple DC sessions in A day will cause less heating. Good luck keeping pack temps low in Arizona in summer on a long trip with lots of DC fast charging.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Of course, but just giving an example of someplace where the e-Golf may struggle to keep battery temps under control. I do see the Danish flag, I believe, so she could drive down to Spain where it certainly could be close to Arizona temps at certain times of the year.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Of course, but just giving an example of someplace where the e-Golf may struggle to keep battery temps under control. I do see the Danish flag, I believe, so she could drive down to Spain where it certainly could be close to Arizona temps at certain times of the year.
I suspect that if the OP drove down to Spain, and DC charged in hot Spanish conditions, she would not be paying the slightest regard to American warranty conditions.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
The egolf charges at 40kw on CCS (for a portion of the charge range obvs). It won't charge at any more than 7kw on an AC charger. They do have good telemetry so I am sure they know what the charge history of the car is, but unless they go out there front and centre and dealers start telling users not to do something they can't be holding users responsible for that at a later date. The law would not be on their side...

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
e-Golf battery capacity is c36kWh so charging at 22kW is 0.6C (charge rate measured as a proportion of battery capacity). This is really quite low. It can't possibly be an issue, VW has got things really badly wrong if it is...and we'd know about it by now. Don't worry about it.
It’s actually only a rate of less than 0.2C, as e-Golf max AC charging is 7kw regardless of what it’s connected to.

It’s all kind of irrelevant anyway, as VW here in the U.K. don’t have any restrictions on the number or type of charges you undertake.

Last summer I did a road trip on one of the hottest days of the year, I rapid charged 6 times in the space of about 15 hours, the last 4 of those in the space of 6 hours and although the last one slowed a bit, the car coped well.

That was 18k miles ago now, battery seems to be performing as well as ever.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It’s actually only a rate of less than 0.2C, as e-Golf max AC charging is 7kw regardless of what it’s connected to.

It’s all kind of irrelevant anyway, as VW here in the U.K. don’t have any restrictions on the number or type of charges you undertake.

Last summer I did a road trip on one of the hottest days of the year, I rapid charged 6 times in the space of about 15 hours, the last 4 of those in the space of 6 hours and although the last one slowed a bit, the car coped well.

That was 18k miles ago now, battery seems to be performing as well as ever.
OP stated 22kW DC in a subsequent post...but I agree it's academic anyway, both low rates!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like in the EU VW has no power to deny warranty on the battery due to repeated DCFC. Still, the pack will lose health over time and from use. It is too bad VW did not install a pack cooling system for those that live in places much hotter than Northern Europe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts