Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Ampera because I got a new job which involved a lot of driving where I am paid by the mile from home to wherever I'm working that day. I have effectively reduced my fuel costs (calculated over the last month) from 12p a mile in my old car to an average of 0.7p a mile including the cost of electricity and fuel. This means I am now earning a fair bit from mileage paid from work...
I could effectively pay for a type 1 to type 2 lead from the money earned from my reduced travel costs with just 2 weeks earned from mileage.
But is it even worth it? Does anybody bother with public charging (if you can charge at home)?

I wouldn't bother on weekdays during commuting, it would be more hassle to park at a charger and then have to walk to work from the nearest charger for the sake of ~10-30miles ICE usage, not to mention I'd be leaving the car all day potentially taking the charger from a BEV who needs it more. On the weekends however I regularly drive to visit friends and family, 120 mile round trip and a 200 mile round trip respectively. At these places I can public charge and would be able to move the car once charging is complete to not hog the charger all day. I'm still not certain its worth it though... How fast can the Ampera actually charge at its highest current? I usually charge off the granny at 6A over night, if I'm going out in the evening after work I may set it to immediate and 10A just to stuff a few hours of charge in, how does the car know what speed to charge at on a public charger if I can only select 6 or 10 in the car (MY13)?

·
Twin Amperas
51 Posts
The Ampera's highest charge rate is around 15A - the car will only use the 6A/10A setting when connected to a granny charger.

My wife regularly uses public charging for hers - journey to work uses almost the whole capacity form the overnight home charge, then she charges in the morning and moves the car off the charger at lunchtime with a full charge ready for the journey home.

She's fortunate to have on street chargers 10 minutes from the office - on the Polar network - free to use with Polar Plus membership at £7.85 a month...so doing 20 charges a month works out at less than 40p a charge...cheaper than home charging even for us on Octopus go at 5p/unit overnight...

...so yes worth it...!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
On a dedicated charge point, home or public the Ampera will charge from totally empty to full in 4 hours. My commute would use up all the battery and I used to charge at a place near work, park in the staff car park in the morning (was first come first served basis and this is why I parked in the morning) take the car to the charger at lunchtime, cycle back to work and then pick the car up after work. Over the 4 years that I did this he petrol that I save was enough to pay for the folding bike which basically lived in the boot as that is all it was used for.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
On a normal destination post (3.6 / 7/11/22 kW) this includes the home Wallboxes, the amp charges at 14.4 amps or @ 3.45kW at 240V. It will fully charge just under 4 hours.
Is it worth it - good question, Polar charge generally 12p a kWh and £8 a month on top for their RFID subscription, so that's a lot of charging needed to make sense. However some areas have free parking when charging. Tricky.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for informative replies as always. Charging near my Dads (the 120mile trip) is at a shopping centre and electricity is free and there are no restrictions on parking/no time limit. They have 4 7kW chargers, I could fill up in 4 hours for free and then move the car again to free up space for another PH/BEV. In theory I could then do about 70miles of that round trip on battery.
The other regular trip of 200miles have a load of 7kW charging posts dotted around the city, they are subscription free and charge 22p/kWh but will reduce my ICE usage from ~165miles to ~130miles.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Should add that the only downside that I encountered was the charging post being in use when I arrived and had to try for one further away.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought my Ampera because I got a new job which involved a lot of driving where I am paid by the mile from home to wherever I'm working that day. I have effectively reduced my fuel costs (calculated over the last month) from 12p a mile in my old car to an average of 0.7p a mile including the cost of electricity and fuel. This means I am now earning a fair bit from mileage paid from work...
I think you meant 7p a mile which is about what I get. My situation was very similar - I was paid a fixed rate of 42p a mile for all business mileage and during 2019 I covered more than 20,000 so the saving was significant. Initially, I would grab every chance to plug in to a 13 Amp socket but most of my visits were relatively short and the advantage gained was minimal. I also considered using the public charge points at the few motorway service stations on my route but again they proved not to be worthwhile in terms of time and cost. Overall, while working for a living, I found the Ampera to be an ideal car (in terms of economy) even on journeys where the ICE was running for an average of half the mileage. As a result, I soon gave up on the idea of charging away from home.
I have now retired and my travel pattern has changed significantly - most journeys are now completed entirely on battery and longer journeys often involve a visit of some duration - for this reason I am looking at any free or very cheap charging opportunities when away from home.
Having said all that, the real benefit of the Ampera's range extender (built-in generator/charger) is that you don't have to worry about charging when away from home . . .

Reactions: DomJ

·
Registered
431 Posts
Our local Tesco put in four charge points recently and I've hardly veer seen any of them in use. So I stick it on there and take my time shopping. I get back the mile or two of electricity I used to get to from home to store, and also get to park near the store, along with the people with kids or disabilities (neither of which are as desirable as an Ampera!)

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
47 Posts
Our local Tesco put in four charge points recently and I've hardly veer seen any of them in use. So I stick it on there and take my time shopping. I get back the mile or two of electricity I used to get to from home to store, and also get to park near the store, along with the people with kids or disabilities (neither of which are as desirable as an Ampera!)
I do this at Tesco too, following the same logic. Sometimes I’ll leave the car on charge for an hour while walking the dog nearby. I find myself taking the opportunity to charge at public charge points whenever I can, choosing city centre car parks with chargers over alternatives without - even though the latter might be nearer my destination. Usually car park chargers are free, with parking charged as normal. In Coventry though, as an example, it’s the other way around - it works out cheaper to pay for Geniepoint on-street charging (but 3hr maximum stay) as there is no parking charge on top.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes always when we visit Milton Keynes for shopping or fun, either on the 7kw Chargemaster posts nearer the john Lewis end via Polar Instant app of at various free Podpoint 7kw chargers, especially the ones near the Bletchley Cinema / Shopping complex.

We will often be 2-3 hrs in either of those places, and as i drive then i get to have fun racing around MK and not worry about having to use petrol on the way home, as its about 20 miles each way.

Also use the local free Tesco Podpoints too, as the parking area is very handy next to the store, often dont bother with the app and just use the free 15 mins timer if i know i an just poping in for a few things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts