Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nexus 5 used to connect and operate just fine in my Mondeo but not in the Ampera.

It pairs and connects OK, reads the phonebook and you can have a hand free conversation but you cant initiate anything from the car controls you have to use the handset.

from the car controls (touch screen or steering wheel) you cant...

make a call
answer a call
see recent call lists
do anything at all with sms
and probably not other stuff too I havent got to yet

Anybody have the same experience? anybody know a fix?

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I had the same problem with my nexus 4 - never could get it to work. Must be something to do with plain vanilla Android. Now have HTC One Mini. All worked fine until recently when the bluetooth suddenly started turning itself off mid-call - after 20 secs it comes back on again but then repeats it later in call. Very annoying and dealer can't resolve it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If your Bluetooth keeps disconnecting, turn off WiFi when connected to the car (I use the Trigger app to do this automatically). It's a known fault with Android, especially later 4.x versions.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Bluetooth provides the basic communications but there are at least 35 different profiles that sit on top of the basic stack to provide different functions such as headset, copying files, sharing network, accessing phonebook, or accessing the SIM. Obviously you don't want all of these all of the time but both the Volt and Android have fairly minimal implementations. The problem is that with Android 4.x they re-wrote the Bluetooth stack and didn't implement very many of the profiles, more have been added but mostly newer profiles rather than the ones the Volt wants.

So far as I can tell, the 2012 Volt (newer models may differ) implements only Headset Profile and SAP (SIM Access Profile).

Android Kitkat supports HSP so the audio for your phone call will work through the Volt, but play any music, or apps like Navigation and it uses A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which is higher quality but the Volt doesn't support. It doesn't have SAP/rSAP that would let the Volt dial, but it does have MAP (Message Access Protocol) that newer cars use.

The good news is that the Bluetooth profiles are pluggable, so you can buy third party implementations and install them. The bad news if you check http://www.android-rsap.com/ is that
Starting with installer version 2.4.3 the Nexus 5 is supported by my app. As always the phone must be rooted before running the installer app, the rSAP app itself does not necessarily need root access.
Rooting the Nexus 5 is quite easy provided you have first unlocked the bootloader. Unfortunately if you haven't unlocked it that process requires a factory reset so it will wipe everything on your phone.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for comprehensive reply. The bluetooth connects OK and reads the phone book and I can hold a hands free conversation but have to use the handset to initiate or answer the call so I'm not sure that quite explains my experience.

Also the Nexus 5 worked just fine on my 2011 Mondeo.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Since a couple of updates ago on my HTC One I have been unable to get the phonebook etc when the phone is connected. All I get it a few names and numbers plus one or with two mixed details, first name from one person, surname from another and yet another person's numbers, sometimes the numbers are my own.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Yes I lost all my phone book too with my HTC recently. It is a little ironic that bluetooth was meant to be a simple protocol but it seems every car has problems with one or more current phones.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Since a couple of updates ago on my HTC One I have been unable to get the phonebook etc when the phone is connected. All I get it a few names and numbers plus one or with two mixed details, first name from one person, surname from another and yet another person's numbers, sometimes the numbers are my own.
I think my son has sorted his problem re HTC phone not fully pairing with his MY13 Astra and/or my Ampera!

He's found an App called "Bluetooth Phone Book" when he searched Playstore on Android. Cost him less than £2.00 and his HTC phone works as it did before the phone updated was installed

Please don't ask me why/how/what/where as I'm a complete numpty where IT is concerned! It must be fairly straightforward though as it's my other son who works in IT, not the one who sorted this!

Big Paul

·
Registered
395 Posts
@h8ten I have an HTC one and all my numbers come across OK. Do you have pictures or notes attached to contacts. I am running the Android 4.4 (KitKat) update. The Ampera it seems is really fussy about the format of entries.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I have not personally attached photos or notes but in the phones infinite wisdom it has linked contacts across, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn etc. The car is due to go in for the daytime running light rework so if it is still the same after any other software updates that need to be applied I will investigate further. There is another thread where I mentioned that I might try clearing out all contacts, after storing them in a spreadsheet, and try from there. I rarely make calls from the car but I do answer incomings if it is from someone that I know but if the phone just brings up the number then there is less chance of me recognising it these days.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
OK, I tried using phone with wireless switched off and it made no difference. My bluetooth on the car head unit continues to randomly switch off, sometimes several times during same phone call. It comes back on by itself and I pick up call where it left off but it is infuriating. Marshalls Peterborough are unable to offer a cure it seems. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
21 Posts
*Corrected post*
I took delivery of my Ampera on Sept 1st and the bluetooth is perhaps the biggest disappointment, especially after my previous Mercedes where it just worked on all my phones.
I have 3 phones I need to connect:
Asus Padfone (Android 4.4.2) - the same problem as described by derekb. The phone connects and I can take a call through the car but only if initiated through the phone. None of the controls from the car appear to work and the address book does not transfer.
Motorola Moto G (Android 4.4.4) and Blackberry Z10 (Blackberry 10) - after posting yesterday both of these will pair and I can dial and pick up calls via the car, but neither transfer the address book I have spent a little time with both these phones today, and both are successfully connecting and sharing address book and call record data. Neither apparently will share texts (which they did on the Mercedes). It also seems I did not need "Bluetooth Phone Book" for the Moto's phone book to transfer. Obviously no idea why these did not seem to work at first.
Having got address book sysnc I'm not impressed by the search, but that's another story...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
@Mark Brockbank I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the issue you're seeing may be the Android release level, your phones look like they're using recent releases. The Bluetooth software in the Ampera is likely to be a couple of years old and GM haven't produced significant updates as far as I know (not this side of the pond anyway). When I got my car in 2012 there was a list of phones and software levels that GM said it would work with.
@Nick what version of Android is your HTC Wildfire running?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Android version 2.2.1
Yikes! Current version is 4.4.4, get an upgrade.

(It won't actually help with bluetooth pairing, but it will help with everything else).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yikes! Current version is 4.4.4, get an upgrade.

(It won't actually help with bluetooth pairing, but it will help with everything else).
My Bluetooth pairing works. So it not even 'why fix what ain't broke' as upgrading would presumably break it.

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
21 Posts
@Mark Brockbank I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the issue you're seeing may be the Android release level, your phones look like they're using recent releases. The Bluetooth software in the Ampera is likely to be a couple of years old and GM haven't produced significant updates as far as I know (not this side of the pond anyway). When I got my car in 2012 there was a list of phones and software levels that GM said it would work with.
@Nick what version of Android is your HTC Wildfire running?
@hopbackguy I think your assessment is right, but my previous Mercedes was manufactured before the Ampera/Volt came to market but just worked fine with all these phones. It is disappointing that a car that embodies such amazing hardware and software engineering has silly software problems of a type that no car should suffer in 2014.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oh I completely agree @Mark Brockbank , but thats the infotainment system in the Volt/Ampera all over - it works pretty well but has some annoying defects - and bluetooth pairing is one of them. My impression from early experience with the car was that they put the office junior on the job of developing that bit of software, because all the good software engineers were working on the other 30 computer modules that ran the car (on which they did a great job I think!) ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Forgot to add - a company like Mercedes I'd have expected to issue regular software updates to fix bugs for things like this - GM have never done this to anything like the same extent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts