Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put an order in for a new Zoe Iconic. Renault are charging a lot for the domestic charging cable - can anyone recommend a good place to get a better value 10m domestic charging cable so I can charge from a standard 3 pin plug if staying at a relative's house? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mo - I've joined but cant see an option to get a reduced price granny charger?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,032 Posts
Just put an order in for a new Zoe Iconic. Renault are charging a lot for the domestic charging cable - can anyone recommend a good place to get a better value 10m domestic charging cable so I can charge from a standard 3 pin plug if staying at a relative's house? Thanks!
Do you really need one? Used mine once in over a year. And that was only to see if it worked! Zoe is so slow and inefficient on a granny charger, you’d be better off finding a public charger on your outward or inward journey. Will your Zoe have CCS? I’d wait and see if you really need one for that trip before buying one.

Give me the names of the two towns/cities and I bet that I can give you an alternative to getting a granny charger. I do love a challenge!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
A granny can be a great back up at times, we were on a highland road trip in my first Zoe, a rapid at Helmsdale failed to communicate with the server and we had to mooch enough charge from a heavy vehicle garage to get us to the next charge point.
Same happened just before Skye bridge, the garage owner allowed us a granny charge too ….

·
3,032 Posts
Yes, it’s a good safety item for continental travel or if you take your Zoe camping. :)
True, I did charge at a camping site once ;)

Reactions: Mo1

·
3,032 Posts
A granny can be a great back up at times, we were on a highland road trip in my first Zoe, a rapid at Helmsdale failed to communicate with the server and we had to mooch enough charge from a heavy vehicle garage to get us to the next charge point.
Same happened just before Skye bridge, the garage owner allowed us a granny charge too ….
View attachment 128898
View attachment 128900
22kWh vs 52kWh

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
22kWh vs 52kWh
Yeah, however on a recent 290 mile trip, I arrived at a Eco T with 2 AC charge points in the ZE40 and both failed, I only had 9 miles left (don't usually let it go that low) and if I had not eventually got one of them to work I would of found the nearest garage/workshop/ etc and begged a granny charge.
No matter how much capacity the pack has its good to have a back up.

Reactions: dparr59 and E7EV

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
BMW i3 ones aren’t cheap

Any granny chargers should work and it’s always good to have one in the boot for destination charging

I’ve used a Kia Niro PHEV cable with no probs and own one home made from @andyfras

JJ

·
3,032 Posts
Give me the names of the two towns/cities and I bet that I can give you an alternative to getting a granny charger. I do love a challenge!
@portmoon I'm still waiting for my challenge :)

Strange when the OP leaves the thread before everyone else ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies folks

@E7EV I don't know the area very well but looks like the nearest 2 towns might be Aberaeron and Aberath (Cardigan Bay)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
562 Posts
I have never regretted buying my second-hand one off ebay.

I have used it loads of times, charging at relatives etc.

·
3,032 Posts
Thanks for all the replies folks

@E7EV I don't know the area very well but looks like the nearest 2 towns might be Aberaeron and Aberath (Cardigan Bay)
I meant the journey starting point (your home town) and destination. Would you start with a full battery? What SoC would you want left when you got back home?

·
3,032 Posts
I have never regretted buying my second-hand one off ebay.

I have used it loads of times, charging at relatives etc.
No you haven’t regretted it, but your relatives have. 🤣

1 - 20 of 39 Posts