Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one with an EV and wondering about heat pumps.
We have a 60A fuse, which until now has been adequate, even for 2 EVs, with charging both overnight (one at 10A and the other 32A).
However a suitable heat pump alone can draw 75A- so we would need an upgrade.
Any ideas of costs and your experience gratefully received.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
It's hugely dependent on your situation, but if it needs new cabling it's likely to run to 4 figures. If it's just a fuse upgrade it might be free or up to a couple of hundred.
You should call your DNO and ask for a quote. They'll probably be useless (they may not even have any records of what you have now), but if you don't ask you can't strike lucky.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had an aged 1950's 60A main fuse on my supply when I initially had my E.V charging point installed and the technician temporarily de-rated its charging to 16A (50% output) because the house also has an electric 10kW shower installed which might have risked the cut-out with other concomitant loading.

He then advised me to contact my local DNO office, who asked me to email some pictures of the main fuse (cut-out), meter board and incoming cable and the garden between the road and the house and then they simply arranged to "reinforce" my supply with a new 100A fuse; which they did, within 10 days.
Such "reinforcement works" for E.V and H.P technologies, may or may not, envolve new cabling and the DNO will advise accordingly. Evidently, it's moreoften free and so it does no harm to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too asked my DNO (SSE Southern Electric) to check my fuse in preparation for an EV one day. The 60A fuse was upgraded to 100A for around £63 after my energy company upgraded my meter tails from 16mm sq to 25mm sq and fitted a 100A DP isolator switch between the meter and Consumer Unit (I provided the switch). Now 100% ready for the day I take the EV plunge.

If you want a heat pump as well as EV charging, it might be worth checking with your local DNO how much it would cost for a 3 phase install and if the local network is OK for both to be connected. Some DNOs like Western Power can get a bit flappy with the idea of a heat pump and EV charging together, especially if the local network is a bit ropey.

Really depends on what size & type of heat pump you want to install, but with a 3-phase supply you then have the choice of a single phase (typically an inverter machine) or a 3 phase fixed speed machine, depending on the size of your home etc.

Do you have quotes for heat losses and heat pumps and their capacities / electrical load requirements? As a rough rule of thumb (for the firm I work for), single phase ASHP & GSHPs go up to 16kW output. Above 16kW output you need to look at a 3 phase machine which are typically fixed speed compressors. There might be manufacturers out there making single phase machines with capacities greater than 16kW output, but I've not checked recently. Just something worth thinking about when talking to the DNO.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
My DNO, SSE Northern were extremely helpful and cost effective when I requested a fuse upgrade from 60A to 100A. That was a 1970s built house, so no bad thing to change out the cable head/fuse holder and I too fitted an isolation switch downstream of the meter at the same time.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,869 Posts
Waiting to hear from SP Energy Networks (ex Manweb area) about a fuse upgrade to my 1961 home.
80A will be free, but a survey is required for 100A due to possible (and chargable) need to change distribution head (fuse box before the meter) and possibly the supply from street to house.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,869 Posts
Had a letter from the DNO when I got home. New distribution head to be installed next Wednesday.
Need to contact neighbour too because looped supply.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Some DNOs like Western Power can get a bit flappy with the idea of a heat pump and EV charging together, especially if the local network is a bit ropey.
From ENA - Electric Vehicles and Heat Pumps

6. Will DNOs refuse the installation of an EV charge point or Heat Pump?
No, DNOs are obliged to facilitate the installation/connection of new loads to the power network, as part of their license condition.
Of course "Facilitate" doesn't mean that won't charge you for it....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts