Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This series of videos popped up on my YouTube feed just now.

Quite interesting and says a lot about supposed Audi build quality.

This one is interesting - they guy hasn’t twigged why his range dropped massively on the autoroute. Also 3/4 of Ionity chargers weren’t working at one stop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Funny Tesla don’t want to share the chargers with people that don’t contribute to their build or upkeep!

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should really make all Audi execs only drive an eTron on Ionity. Then you’d see how long these issues persist.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's a great car ... but I've had more issues with it than anything else I've ever owned (with the possible exception of a 15 year old Austin Princess which cost me one pint of beer). Service has been very poor indeed, eventually resulting in me moving to another Audi dealer. Great car partially spoilt by a lot of issues and (worse) by poor service.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
354 Posts
Maybe someone should put a link to SpeakEV in the comments of his YouTube video 😎

Sounds like he has some genuine grievances (paint finish and sun roof leaks), exacerbated by an inexperienced dealer and his tendency to exaggerate. Ok it is an expensive car but complaining because a charge port on both sides is optional?
Sounds like the dealer may have been spot on diagnosing a flat 12V battery but the owner knew better "can't be flat the car has been charging for 12 hours" but then the problems disappeared when he had been driving a while...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I was really quite enthusiastic when the e-rom was announced, as every Audi I have had thoroughly bomb proof. Brother in law is still driving my 59 plate A6 Avant and the interior still looks like the day I picked it up. With about 230k miles now, I don’t see him changing it and it will probably trundle along for another 100k or 2 with him.

I had a poke aboutin it af fully charged and while it was quite nice, having been driving the model S for a couple of years by that pointI could most get excited about it. Once the range and wh/m etc. came out that was game over.

So changing in the summer I ended up in another S, and very happy with it. His review is quite scathing but it is being done to point Audi at it to fix his problem a bit of PR leverage nothing more. It appears he just wants out of the car, if I were him I would be looking for his local “Nous achetons n’importe quelle voiture” if such a thing exists in France and unload it there if he cannot get Audi to address it. Don’t know about France but if that was the UK and financed the finance company could be on the hook for it.

As an aside is the e-Tron really bigger than the X, the ones I have had as loaners seemed truly cavernous and difficult to imagine the e-Tron actually being bigger. Off to check the dimensions now.

Couple of howlers in these and for someone who seems to want to inform others he is propagating quite a few of them. Along with as has been mentioned the odd suggestion that a car manufacturers charging infrastructure should be open to all, vs Ionity being open to all because it is a charging infrastructure company...

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Test drive a Model 3 and then complains when he chose the car without the decent charging network. ;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Worse he test drove an X and then bought an e-Tron, just checked this with my wife just so slightly more than an n=1 survey, on that basis i have increased the sample size by 100%.

To quote, "It could be the ugliest car in the world but it would still be my choice if it had the Tesla supercharging network."

Charging has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, but until there is widespread fast reliable charging that will work from the tap of my payment card of choice, I will most likely be driving a Tesla. Even then there is more to think about that the current Tesla experience regards payments and charger availability in car.

Model 3 has popped up on our car policy at last and means I can get into one dropping my car allowance which is £650 a month gross, so may end up changing our second car to M3 to replace 528i. Still struggling with that a bit as it only covers 3,500 miles a year. But at current mileage rates so do I and didn't stop me changing mine :LOL:

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Efficiency = Unforgivable
Quality (or lack of) = Unforgivable
Choice of sector for first EV = Unforgivable

VAG hang your corporate head in shame. But you have none, as following the #dieselgate scandal you are now following down the hybrid route. You deserve to fail producing the worst combination of German engineering and American "taste".

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,028 Posts
No it's not. When someone gets basic facts like that wrong, you have to wonder if they really know what they're talking about.
Give the guy a break!
He's not a journalist just an owner telling his own story.
Clearly went for the 'quality car' reputation that drives many Audi sales and has been let down.
Not having £100k to spend on a car, I won't have his problems or choice. It's worth noting that Which surveys have historically found that more faults are reported in luxury cars than ordinary ones. I'd always thought that was down to the greater complexity due to an abundance of 'toys' on the luxury cars. However ordinary cars are now more playpen than transport so the disease is spreading.

That's progress!

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Every car manufacturer builds the odd ‘Lemon’, that’s just reality.

I switched away from Audi though about 20 years ago when there was a step change downwards in customer service levels at my local dealer, I often wonder if they’ve got better or worse since then.

Nothing is perfect, not even an Audi. 🙂

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
As pointed at earlier, he is trying to create noise to get Audi to give him his money back, his videos are well put together but are in many ways incorrect and lack sufficient context or detail in them.

That is however for us who question many of these things, e.g. size of X vs e-Tron, range on the Autoroute lower, be strange if it wasn't etc. etc. He seems to have quite a hangup about a leak in an electric car.... wonder if he is careful washing it just in case he shorts the battery.

Ignoring the dealers advice regards 12v battery at his own peril, we have seen on many different marques EVs a low 12v battery brings no end of troubles.

·
Registered
Audi E-Tron - Launch Edition
36 Posts
Speaking from experience of owning a Launch Edition 50, since ownership of approx 5 weeks I've not experienced any issues really with any sort of quality.

With the cameras they've been faultless, image is very clear (bar them resetting themselves once, which I attributed to myself accidentally tapping reset with the back of my hand).

Sun-roof - faultless, thankfully it's never ever leaked as this gent states.

I just wish it was slightly more efficient but I'm generally averaging 2.5-3.0Mi/kWh on my daily commute with 2 people in the vehicle. It's a bit upsetting to see it peak at 5-6Mi/kWh at the bottom of a tunnel to then see it drop having to climb back out the other side, but unfortunately that's life!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Swings and roundabouts and all that, I quite like the idea of the cameras, although wonder what is it like a night.

I do think many cars these days could do with a night mode. Saab 9-5 i had it, button on the dash that dimmed all the ancillary instrument lighting and buttons across the dash only leaving about a 3rd of the speedometer lit. Supposedly this came from their fighter heritage, but how much of that was marketing we will never know (well all right we do know it was all marketing).

Also had the funkiest cup holder I have ever had on a car, starts a a little vertical line up by the radio and then comes out and rotated the ring for the cupholder.

SAAB 9-5 Cupholder if you are interested!

·
Registered
2020 - Audi Etron 50 Sport on order
33 Posts
I watched the videos. I honestly couldn't take him seriously, not after the third video with him sporting an e-tron fan boy polo shirt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts