Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A MAN who rode an E-scooter while over the legal alcohol limit was banned from driving for more than a year.

Mark xxxxxxxx, 41, rode the scooter in Lexden Road, Colchester, in June.

A breath test recorded 66mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg.

Appearing at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on July 6, xxxxxxx, of Xxxxxx Road, Colchester, was fined £600 and banned from the roads for 17 months.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have seen the police on the news saying that they have stopped so many people riding the E-Scooters riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or simply doing dangerous acts like running through red lights etc.

Not sure I understand why so many people seem to think that just because they aren't in a car means they don't have to follow the laws when on the road in a different kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
786 Posts
Not sure I understand why so many people seem to think that just because they aren't in a car means they don't have to follow the laws when on the road in a different kind of vehicle.
You are failing to take into account the fact that there are an awful lot of very dense people in the country.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Not long before the pandemic there was a spate of people using electric scooters late at night to get home from a local club. It seemed they all (mistakenly) thought that riding one whilst under the influence was OK, as you don't need a licence to ride one. None were actually prosecuted, but the police did highlight that anyone caught doing this in future would be prosecuted and risk losing their licence. Not sure if that had any effect, as the pandemic intervened. The local rumour was that the scooters had been provided on loan by the owner of the club, as he thought it would be a dodge around the drink driving laws, and encourage more customers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
I have seen the police on the news saying that they have stopped so many people riding the E-Scooters riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or simply doing dangerous acts like running through red lights etc.

c.f. all bicyclists I see in London.

(I realise this will start a fight now)

·
Registered
980 Posts
c.f. all bicyclists I see in London.

(I realise this will start a fight now)
Pfft....
If we are just limiting it to London, probably 20% of all motorists are talking on the phone, updating their social media status or watching the cricket as one taxi driver was as I cycled past him last week as he drove down Fleet St.
Let's not forget the 10% of motorists who routinely forget to insure, tax or MOT their cars, but as ever lets just blame cyclists.
There you go, no argument needed now, that covers most of the bases, now get on with the intended thread :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Pfft....
If we are just limiting it to London, probably 20% of all motorists are talking on the phone, updating their social media status or watching the cricket as one taxi driver was as I cycled past him last week as he drove down Fleet St.
Let's not forget the 10% of motorists who routinely forget to insure, tax or MOT their cars, but as ever lets just blame cyclists.
There you go, no argument needed now, that covers most of the bases, now get on with the intended thread :)
I was trying to argue that I'd rather have a drunk bicyclist drive into me than a drunk motorist or HGV.

Trying to stamp out drink scooter riding will only push the problem back into cars...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not long before the pandemic there was a spate of people using electric scooters late at night to get home from a local club. It seemed they all (mistakenly) thought that riding one whilst under the influence was OK, as you don't need a licence to ride one.
A kick-scooter, and the rider wouldn't have points on their licence. Likewise, bizarrely, for an electrically powered mobility scooter.
Now, where's the fine line between a three-wheeled e-scooter with a seat and a mobility scooter?

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
A kick-scooter, and the rider wouldn't have points on their licence. Likewise, bizarrely, for an electrically powered mobility scooter.
Now, where's the fine line between a three-wheeled e-scooter with a seat and a mobility scooter?

I think this is just another legal anomaly that's come about because the law is very slow to respond to changes in society, or technology. It took years of people illegally and openly using CB radio to get the law changed to allow it, for example. Same happened when electric bikes first came out several decades ago (long before modern e-bikes). It took something like ten years for the old EAPC regulations to be created to accomodate them.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was trying to argue that I'd rather have a drunk bicyclist drive into me than a drunk motorist or HGV.

Trying to stamp out drink scooter riding will only push the problem back into cars...
Aaahh......
It was as clear as mud :D
However, I get exactly where you are coming from.
If you are ever in Derby I'll take you out for a bar crawl on the cargobike.
Quality shenanigans, especially after 10 pints....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mark Prichard, 41, rode the scooter in Lexden Road, Colchester, in June. A breath test recorded 66mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg. Appearing at Colchester Magistrates' Court on July 6, Prichard, of Victoria Road, Colchester, was fined £600 and banned from the roads for 17 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts