Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kona has behaved itself from Day 1 in all respects, so while I’ve read all the various battery posts (12v and HV), I haven’t been looking for solutions. But today, after ownership since March ‘19, in an idle moment I focused on something I have just taken for granted up until now, the mechanical key incorporated in the smart key fob.
First thought, never tried it, where does it insert? Right, only the driver’s door.
OK, shove it in, turn left, turn right... huh? Nothing is happening! Try again, nada... Turn it up the other way, nothing...
Remove the EVSE set up for the next scheduled charge, try again...nothing.
Try with the key fob close by, not close by.. nothing.
Go get the 2nd fob, try the mechanical key from that, nothing... Fob batteries are both good, not that I think that makes any difference?

Mission Control, we have a problem! Just as well I haven’t had any battery issues :unsure:, because my mechanical keys DO NOT work at all - off to the dealer asap...

So if you have an idle moment too, you know what do do .. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you actually try to open the door? I believe it locks and unlocks really silently not like when you use the fob. I got confused a few times. The key works backwards. Turn the key to right (towards b-pillar) unlocks it. Turn to the left locks it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whoa, @esprit1st you are indeed right, shows how previous experience can narrowly shape expectations.
So I locked the car remotely, then just took down the mechanical key. Soon as I turned the key in the lock, without the the fob present the alarm started, scared the hell out of me, and I had to run upstairs to get the fob to to kill the noise.
So, no noise, no mirrors retraction, you have try opening the door to tell whether anything has happened...
You have saved me a wasted trip to the dealer..(y)
P.S. So does this mean the clunking sounds from the bowels of the door are just a simulation??

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
P.S. So does this mean the clunking sounds from the bowels of the door are just a simulation??
The noises from electric unlocking are the actuators in all four doors (and boot maybe) operating their lock mechanisms, plus the mirrors starting if you have that set.
The mechanical key only unlocks the barrel of the lock. Using the handle then provides the energy (and noise) to operate the driver door - just like cars pre-central locking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Whoa, @esprit1st you are indeed right, shows how previous experience can narrowly shape expectations.
So I locked the car remotely, then just took down the mechanical key. Soon as I turned the key in the lock, without the the fob present the alarm started, scared the hell out of me, and I had to run upstairs to get the fob to to kill the noise.
So, no noise, no mirrors retraction, you have try opening the door to tell whether anything has happened...
You have saved me a wasted trip to the dealer..(y)
You're welcome!
@mikegs for the explanation why.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts