Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Heavens above! It must be pretty good if Donald couldn't find anything wrong with it!

Now reconsidering my intention to wait for the cheaper versions of the ID3. Specially since the e-Golf has BUTTONS. Or a tactile user interface, if you like.
Or there's the renewed 160-mile WLTP e-Up if you don't need as much space, allegedly £19.5k after PICG. Order books are supposed to open January.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Or there's the renewed 160-mile WLTP e-Up if you don't need as much space, allegedly £19.5k after PICG. Order books are supposed to open January.
Just a bit small for us. An e-Polo with the cabin space of a Golf would be perfect - and the ideal mass-market EV in UK, judging by what sells best in the ICE market.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you don't mind, what exactly is a good deal from VW?
I thought about changing our small car (Ford Ka +) for a hatchback EV and Golf fits this description perfectly.
I wouldn't mind slow-ish charging (at least compare to Soul) especially given that the new Ioniq I been waiting for so long has been ruined by slow charging.
In this case there is no point of paying more for new Ioniq if it's considerably more than eGolf and don't have the advantage of faster charging anymore (it used to be 1.5-1.8 times faster in real world than eGolf but now it's nearly identical as per Björns 1000km tests).
I was naive Ioniq gen.2 will get closer to Tesla model 3. Gen 2 is worse than gen.1. So somehow eGolf looks like a good option again. I really like the shape. Perfect for city and family with kids and shopping for 5.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Paul, sorry for doubling but did you mean 20kW charging speed on the 4th session? How fast were you travelling?
I tried Soul 30kWh to lake district and back (eBay collection, and a small stop for a nice walk when charging)
First 2 stops 45-47kW speed up to 82-84%. Fan was blowing hot air a lot but still got 44kW average on 3rd and 42kW when arrived to Corby Cube at 5%.
Travelling speed of 65mph and 40/50 when restricted on M6.
I hope eGolf does some high 20ies as 20kW looks a bit low.
Is it just when it starts throttling earlier or did you mean the whole session is slow?
Our Ford Ka + is capable of long travels but it's not pleasant and we will have 3rd baby (due date last week) soon so really needs to sell ICE Ford and ideally become 100% FFF (fossil free family)
Golf size seems perfect (we are all skinny, healthy eating skeletons).

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Paul, sorry for doubling but did you mean 20kW charging speed on the 4th session? How fast were you travelling?
I tried Soul 30kWh to lake district and back (eBay collection, and a small stop for a nice walk when charging)
First 2 stops 45-47kW speed up to 82-84%. Fan was blowing hot air a lot but still got 44kW average on 3rd and 42kW when arrived to Corby Cube at 5%.
Is it just when it starts throttling earlier or did you mean the whole session is slow?
Our Ford Ka + is capable of long travels but it's not pleasant and we will have 3rd baby (due date last week) soon so really needs to sell ICE Ford and ideally become 100% FFF (fossil free family)
Don’t forget that slow rapid charger rates can often be down to the poor CCS chargers the U.K. seems to have a lot of.

On Instavolt, my e-Golf manages 38/39kW easily up to around 70% and is still high 20s going past 80.

On an asthmatic EH or Genie Point DBT, they often only hit 20kW to begin with.

I always try to find Instavolt or BP/Polar rapids which hit the advertised speeds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi. The first four or five sessions over the two day period were at usual rapid speed, 30+k. Then speeds gradually tailed away over the two days until the worst speed was the last charge, the 13th or 14th, at 20k. Speeds here were calculated as kw received divided by number of minutes multiplied by 60. A bit rough but gives me a benchmark of average speed of charge to get from about 30 mile range to about 95 mile range - as mentioned previously.

Total journey was 950 miles including some local miles at the destination at the end of the first day. Total times for driving and charging, including some traffic, were 12.5 hours on first day and 14.5 hours on the second day. Chargers used were EH until Leeds then Polar on the way down and reverse on the way up. The last charge was at Abington Services which usually is at 30+k.

I hope this helps but please ask if you have any further queries.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just a bit small for us. An e-Polo with the cabin space of a Golf would be perfect - and the ideal mass-market EV in UK, judging by what sells best in the ICE market.
You've just described the e-Up's eventual replacement, which is currently being designed by SEAT. Sadly, it's not due until around 2023.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Blue "e" on badging front & rear, blue stripe on filled in grille. If stationery then you can see the "aero" wheels.
As well as the different Daytime Running Lights which can only be found on the GTE and e-golf. Both the GTE and the e-Golf have the same front (Including the blue stripe) apart from the badging. The easiest way to tell them apart is the aero alloys unless the 'e-Golfer' has upgraded the alloys in which case it's just the badging that is different.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As well as the different Daytime Running Lights which can only be found on the GTE and e-golf. Both the GTE and the e-Golf have the same front (Including the blue stripe) apart from the badging. The easiest way to tell them apart is the aero alloys unless the 'e-Golfer' has upgraded the alloys in which case it's just the badging that is different.

View attachment 122894
The GTE also has chrome stripes in the C of the DRL....

·
Registered
640 Posts
Easiest to notice from a distance are the DRLs to signify any "electrified" VW.

Renault Kadjar has very similar DRLs. The number of times I thought I saw another VW coming then realised it was (yet another) Kadjar.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts