Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have a Zoe, Zappi and Solar, don't buy the Myenergi Hub!
Why, because when you update the firmware on a Zappi with the Hub you can't use the Eco Plus setting and consequently can charge purely from solar.
I bought a Hub a couple of weeks ago, paid £85 + postage and now I am worse off than I was without the Hub.
I reported the problem twice to Myenergi and they don't have a fix for it, also it is not possible to reset the firmware back to it's original state.
Why did Myenergi release a product without fully testing it, especially when they have a Zoe that they also can't charge purely on solar?
I'm really not impressed and would like to know if anyone else has this problem?
When in Eco plus there is a pause symbol shown between the Zappi and the car.
My current firmware version is 2.226.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine works fine with the latest firmware. I only get what is pictured above when there is not enough power coming through from the panels to start the charge. SO definitely Zoe specific.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine works fine with the latest firmware. I only get what is pictured above when there is not enough power coming through from the panels to start the charge. SO definitely Zoe specific.
Right now our solar is generating 2.7kW without any appliance being used and the pause symbol is on the Zappi.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you have a Zoe, Zappi and Solar, don't buy the Myenergi Hub!
Why, because when you update the firmware on a Zappi with the Hub you can't use the Eco Plus setting and consequently can charge purely from solar.
I bought a Hub a couple of weeks ago, paid £80 + postage and now I am worse off than I was without the Hub.
Only paid £80, so its a used item first gen.
Is it actually a fully working unit would be the first question.
If not return it to the seller and get a refund.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only paid £80, so its a used item first gen.
Is it actually a fully working unit would be the first question.
If not return it to the seller and get a refund.
Actually I paid £85 + delivery.
If I send it back I won't able to update the firmware if and when they have a fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I updated mine and its fine, eject the cable and plug in, I find zoe some times goes in a coma waiting for the charge on eco+

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I updated mine and its fine, eject the cable and plug in, I find zoe some times goes in a coma waiting for the charge on eco+
Yep been there done that whilst on the phone to tech support.
Myenergi know there is problem and can't get their own Zoe to charge on Eco Plus.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,161 Posts
If the "car going to sleep" is the problem
1) ensure with your dealer the car has the latest LBC and BCB firmware. While mine did fall asleep with the only the cable plugged in but no signal in the old days, that doesn't happen anymore now and should fix the problem. Your red neck test is exactly that: plug the cable to the car and leave the other end open. Leave your key inside and check after 10 minutes if the small red LED above the R-Link screen is still lit.
2) To pass on to Myenergi: if the Zappi decides to pause the supply to the car, it should keep the CP signal on fixed 12 volt. This prevents the car with old firmware from falling asleep. If I remember correctly, but of course I cannot test anymore, putting 12 volt on it does not wake the car up; it only prevents it from falling asleep.

Finally, a ZOE needs a minimum available current indicated by the chargepoint to be even willing to start a charging session. The value is depending on the model.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the "car going to sleep" is the problem
1) ensure with your dealer the car has the latest LBC and BCB firmware. While mine did fall asleep with the only the cable plugged in but no signal in the old days, that doesn't happen anymore now and should fix the problem. Your red neck test is exactly that: plug the cable to the car and leave the other end open. Leave your key inside and check after 10 minutes if the small red LED above the R-Link screen is still lit.
2) To pass on to Myenergi: if the Zappi decides to pause the supply to the car, it should keep the CP signal on fixed 12 volt. This prevents the car with old firmware from falling asleep. If I remember correctly, but of course I cannot test anymore, putting 12 volt on it does not wake the car up; it only prevents it from falling asleep.

Finally, a ZOE needs a minimum available current indicated by the chargepoint to be even willing to start a charging session. The value is depending on the model.
My Zappi, a Z.E.40 R110 is tethered so I can't plug the cable in and leave the other end open.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Actually I paid £85 + delivery.
If I send it back I won't able to update the firmware if and when they have a fix.
So did it actually work with the old firmware?
You didnt state if it did before you updated.
As yoh-there has implied, it might not be the Zappi, it could be the Zoe firmware revisions that also need updating to be fully compatible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So did it actually work with the old firmware?
You didnt state if it did before you updated.
As yoh-there has implied, it might not be the Zappi, it could be the Zoe firmware revisions that also need updating to be fully compatible.
Yes it worked perfectly before the Zappi firmware update which incidentally can't be rolled back.
In Fast, Eco and Eco Plus it never gave a problem.
As I have said already Myenergi know there is a problem and are supposedly trying to come up with updated firmware that will fix it.
We have plenty of surplus from solar, right now it is producing 2.6kW.

·
Registered
410 Posts
All works fine with my Outlander in all charge modes. I had a job to get the hub to connect initially, but telephone support from MyEnergi soon sorted that out.

I’ve become quite used to keeping the Zappi in Eco Plus mode to ensure I use excess solar PV as much as possible, and use the app to boost when solar has not managed enough charge by itself.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All works fine with my Outlander in all charge modes. I had a job to get the hub to connect initially, but telephone support from MyEnergi soon sorted that out.

I’ve become quite used to keeping the Zappi in Eco Plus mode to ensure I use excess solar PV as much as possible, and use the app to boost when solar has not managed enough charge by itself.
It's an issue that affects some Renault Zoes including one owned by Myenergi.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,161 Posts
My Zappi, a Z.E.40 R110 is tethered so I can't plug the cable in and leave the other end open.
Yes you can, just use the car supplied cable. But since it's an R110 I would be a bit surprised if it was running old firmware. If, as you stated it worked flawlessly with the old Zappi that is another hint. Still worth the very easy test IMHO.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes you can, just use the car supplied cable. But since it's an R110 I would be a bit surprised if it was running old firmware. If, as you stated it worked flawlessly with the old Zappi that is another hint. Still worth the very easy test IMHO.
Agree, always double check all possibilities regardless of the work Myenergi are doing on Zappi firmware with their Zoe.
They may have a different version of Zoe firmware to the one you have.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I don't think you quite understand.
I have the original Zappi with a tethered cable that has worked perfectly in Eco plus mode, until I got the Myenergi Hub a couple of weeks ago. I cannot plug a separate Type 2 cable into it.
It still works normally in fast and Eco modes.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I feel your pain, I have had a lot of frustration with the myenergi products.
For me now it's with the e-Golf. It will work in eco+ but if it pauses for a certain amount of time the Zappi goes to charge ended and it won't start charging when the sun comes out.
They seem to have more issues than they can deal with and it's taking rather a long time to sort everything out.
My wife has asked several times why we don't just change it for something that isn't so frustrating!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I feel your pain, I have had a lot of frustration with the myenergi products.
For me now it's with the e-Golf. It will work in eco+ but if it pauses for a certain amount of time the Zappi goes to charge ended and it won't start charging when the sun comes out.
They seem to have more issues than they can deal with and it's taking rather a long time to sort everything out.
My wife has asked several times why we don't just change it for something that isn't so frustrating!
Is yours a gen1 product also?

·
Registered
166 Posts
isnt it actually better to export that electricity for 6-8pence (or whatever grid feed you have) and then charge the car off octopus go at 5pence, rather than charging the car with solar ? mathematically, my point makes sense at least.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts