Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just noticed a surprising caution in the manual for Gen1 Leaf (page 5-13) that when parking in cold climate areas the wheels should be chocked instead of applying the parking brake in case it freezes. Then in the Cold Weather Driving section (page 5-26) it does actually specify not to use the parking brake below 0 degC.

Does anyone take any notice of this? thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Hi, Just noticed a surprising caution in the manual for Gen1 Leaf (page 5-13) that when parking in cold climate areas the wheels should be chocked instead of applying the parking brake in case it freezes. Then in the Cold Weather Driving section (page 5-26) it does actually specify not to use the parking brake below 0 degC.

Does anyone take any notice of this? thanks
@Edd Beesley uses this principle even on warm days:D.

Sorry Edd could not resist:cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
@Edd Beesley uses this principle even on warm days:D.

Sorry Edd could not resist:cool:
Haha thanks. This morning it was, press button to dismiss low battery warning, press button to dismiss temperature warning, press button to dismiss message to visit dealer...

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That temperature warning annoys me - several times now I have heard a beep, looked down and around to see what it was, then discovered that just when I need to be concentrating because it's icy (bit of a clue, all that white stuff, and the in-eye-line temperature gauge) the darn car is distracting me!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a gen one and hadn't read this in the manual. I've always used the parking brake even when cold (since April 2012) though down south it never gets that cold... -5 to 0 usually at worst.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I think this is good advice whether you have a mechanical or electronic park brake. Putting on the park brake overnight in freezing conditions could mean that it is frozen on in the morning.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What physical effect does the p button have? I. E does it actually lock the transmission? I use the pkb (internal Nissan acronym for parking brake he he he.) most of the time but wonder if it's actually necessary unless on a steep incline.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I believe if 'just' in P mode and the car moves, then it's rocking on some pins which isn't good.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I think it is quite common not to but it isn't good practice. You can never be 100% certain that there is no incline (there almost always is even if it is small) and you are then only holding the car on the locking pin for an auto/EV or on the engine compression for a manual (assuming you left it in gear!).

It is quite an american thing not to use the park brake I think.

I would always recommend using the park brake whenever you park unless in winter when freezing rain or freezing fog might freeze it up then you might want to consider chocking the wheels instead.

FWIW I always use the park brake even in winter and accept the risk of freezing ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's a bit more than a locking pin and perfectly acceptable to use as a parking brake hence why it's a "P" on the button

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
hence why it's a "P" on the button
The P does not mean it is man enough to be used as the only way to secure a car when parked.

I am curious though... what makes you think that it is OK? Do you have any evidence that it is or are you just assuming it is because there is a P on the button?

I am not having a go at you... I am just curious what makes you think that it is OK when all the official advice and accepted practice is that it is not.

·
Registered
731 Posts
As its wildly accepted that p on a transmission stands for park and most auto cars fail their mot as the handbrake doesnt work through lack of use. 2, the leaf is sold in the states where no one uses a hand brake and most drive Autos. I'm sure we would be hearing about problems by now if it had been failing. That pawl in the box is quite a lot stronger than four brake pads pushing on a disc. I'm not saying it's accepted practice I'm saying that's what it's designed for maybe in conjunction with the hand/parking brake but in reality in a ice auto car the handbrake is seldom used.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
the leaf is sold in the states where no one uses a hand brake
Ummm not really.

It is true that most Americans drive autos. Using the parking brake while manoeuvring is very rare. But people do tend to set the brake when parked.

This is based only on my personal observations, so I could be wrong. There are huge regional differences in how people drive. If you have a good source, please link it.

====

Most states require you to turn your wheels into the curb when parking on a hill. You may get a ticket if you don't. San Francisco is well known for this, but other cities enforce the law too.

I had to relearn how to park in order to pass the UK driving test.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm

California Driver Handbook - Parking
Parking On A Hill
When you park:

• On a sloping driveway, turn the wheels so the vehicle will not roll into the street if the brakes fail.
  • Headed downhill, turn your front wheels into the curb or toward the side of the road. Set the parking brake.
  • Headed uphill, turn your front wheels away from the curb and let your vehicle roll back a few inches. The wheel should gently touch the curb. Set the parking brake.
  • Headed either uphill or downhill when there is no curb, turn the wheels so the vehicle will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail.

Down Hill Up Hill No Curb, Up Hill or Down Hill

Always set your parking brake and leave the vehicle in gear or in the "park" position.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
It's always a good idea to at least turn the wheels in to the curb on an incline anyway, just in case.

Better to squash a few pedestrians than ding the car in front, as pedestrians wash off easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have never used the parking brake, usually crank the wheels round to the kerb on an incline. Went out this morning and my wife had parked the car for the first time and used the parking brake. Car was covered in ice and I started and car would not go into drive, couldn't dis-engage parking brake and warning light PS was lit which I have never seen before. Re-started and all went back to normal

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,329 Posts
A drum brake that freezes in such weather as we have had (i.e. a very light dusting of frost) is a badly designed brake and an issue of the manufacturer to resolved.

I have had many many cars with drum handbrakes over 'a number of decades', have one now in fact, and I have never experienced this.

Construction and use regulations actually require the setting of a mechanical brake to each wheel of one axle, so a parking pawl on the transmission is, technically, contrary to UK regulations for leaving a car parked. I confess to routinely leaving autos in 'park' when on a flat surface, but I'd use a mechanical brake on a grade.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts