Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID3 Life Pro Performance
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had my ID3, a whole 6 days now, gave her a clean inside today and noticed that both front door hinges, well ones attached to the car have corrosion as per the following pics? Surely not normal? Will VW address this? I did spy a similar post on the wing mirrors but couldn’t see anything related to this. 😔

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Hi all, had my ID3, a whole 6 days now, gave her a clean inside today and noticed that both front door hinges, well ones attached to the car have corrosion as per the following pics? Surely not normal? Will VW address this? I did spy a similar post on the wing mirrors but couldn’t see anything related to this. 😔 View attachment 145815 View attachment 145816
Should be greased up: that would stop any corrosion.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,336 Posts
I’ve never known the bits shown with surface rust to be greased up on any car. You can see the grease on the area that should have it.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Life Pro Performance
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine are the same on both front doors they are being replaced under warranty as soon as they get the parts in.
Thanks @njm106 I’ve emailed my local dealer, hoping its the same, no big rush, however for a car that is a week old! 😔 thought I had rid of paintwork demons getting shut of my M3. 👍

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good grief that is nothing...
Just a few tiny breaches of the black phosphate coating, it's not going to rot away - a few tiny bits of surface cosmetic corrosion is a place unseen 99% of the time. You can buy a 125ml bottle of "rustins" or similar for about £3. Those hinges should be greased at any sliding or pivoting points.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not the point though, you shouldn't expect this when you pay 30k+ on a car.
Do you think that an Audi S3 or Golf R uses a stainless steel door hinge whereas the old SE trim of the same car gets phosphate coated steel trims? I cam tell you that is definitely not the case. My 2015 Golf R had a tiny bit of surface rust on these pivot and slide hinges, gave the grease a slightly orange tinge. I kept that car almost 4 years and the hinges operated as well at month 46 as it did at month 1.

Wait until you look under the bonnet and see a lack of clear coat on the unseen bodywork.

Everyone is doing this - Nissan, BMW, Honda, Mercedes etc. £30k doesn't buy a hand-built Rolls Royce.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,595 Posts
Wait until you look under the bonnet and see a lack of clear coat on the unseen bodywork.
Tesla owners discovered this early on. To complaints of 'I expect all internal panels that I never see to be fully painted on my £70k motor!'.

Weird they never noticed on the previous 10 ICE cars they owned.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
519 Posts
To be fair to them I never actually asked for them replacing I just mentioned it in passing when I took it in for an update and the technician said it wasn't right and they'd get it fixed I was expecting they'd just put some grease on or something like that, next thing I know they're booking me back in to get them replaced apparently it'll take several hours per door 🤷‍♂️

More worrying is the water leaking inside the rear windscreen every time I wash the car or it rains heavy again they're fixing that when they do the door hinges.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you think that an Audi S3 or Golf R uses a stainless steel door hinge whereas the old SE trim of the same car gets phosphate coated steel trims? I cam tell you that is definitely not the case. My 2015 Golf R had a tiny bit of surface rust on these pivot and slide hinges, gave the grease a slightly orange tinge. I kept that car almost 4 years and the hinges operated as well at month 46 as it did at month 1.

Everyone is doing this - Nissan, BMW, Honda, Mercedes etc. £30k doesn't buy a hand-built Rolls Royce.
That's not the point I'm trying to make. If you pay good money for a car, any car, you don't expect bits to show corrosion. Parts are dipped in phosphate, not painted. This should not happen, if it does VW have a problem with production. The entire car body is phosphate dipped, if there is corrosion on the hinges, will there be corrosion on the bodywork in a few years because that phosphate did not coat properly?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts