Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to occasionally have to press the door unlock buttons on the outside more than once to get them to lock/unlock the car. I know they can take a second or two to operate but occasionally they don't operate at all and I have to press it again.

Similar thing happens with the handbrake switch. Often this takes a couple of goes to get it to operate.

Anyone else having this happen?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re the door locking I think the design is that one touch of the outside door button unlocks just the drivers door and a second press then unlocks the rest (including the tailgate)

Not sure if you can re-programme it as you can the key fob but it's a good security measure that might stop unauthorised entry to the left hand door if you were on your own.

As far as the park brake is concerned one operation puts the brake on sufficient for virtually level roads and a second "pull" on the switch then puts it on harder for example if you were stopped on a steep incline.

Big Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all that :)

In fact, the lock/unlock is the same on all doors and not related to the driver door only feature you mention. Thanks for mentioning it though because that one could catch people out if they are not used to a car with driver door only unlocking. It is a good security feature particularly at night when on your own. It can be disabled if you wish in the config options reverting back to a single press to open all doors.

The park brake again is something I knew because the Nissan Leaf has the same single/double press action. I always double apply the park brake when on anything of a slope. Again, this is not related to this. Often I find that a single pull of the park brake lever doesn't apply the brake at all requiring a second attempt to apply it at all. It is as if the switch is intermittent. In fact, that could be the issue as it always seems to work if I apply it firmly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It looks like there might be an "issue" with the park brake switch then as I've just been out in mine and the park brake applys with almost just a "stroke" of the switch.

Something for the dealer to check out I guess.

Big Paul

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have it set up that only the drivers door unlocks on the first key fob press and the second opens the rest of the doors. If I use the button on the door handle then one press on the drivers door opens that door and a second opens the others. If I press a button on any other door then all the doors will open regardless of the state of the drivers door.

When locking, if only the drivers door was opened and you press any other door button they all the doors will open. If you then press the same button twice with a couple of seconds between pressing, the doors will lock on the first press and deadlock on the second.

If you have only opened the drivers door and use that button then two presses will lock/deadlock all the doors regardless of the state of any other door.

Hope that helps - just my experience so far.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a bit of a delay between pressing the button and the locks operating so I am wondering if I am just too impatient! :shock:

So, before I carry on with this I shall ask my other (better) half to try. She hasn't driven the car much (she has the Leaf!) so she would be approaching it with fresh eyes.

More later...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had another "funny" happen today with the locking...

Left keys in car by accident, tried to lock using button on door, of course it wouldn't and it beeped to say keys in car. I then got keys out of car and tried again but locking using door button which worked, then tried to set alarm with 2nd press. Didn't set. So tried to unloack to start again and the car wouldn't unlock using door buttons. I tried all 4 doors, no luck. So used key fob to unlock which worked. Started again and all worked perfectly!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ressurecting this thread because the door delay is not just annoying now but it caused me to leave the car unlocked today.

I have been trying to live with the retched delay when locking the car using the button on the handle. It can often take 2-3 seconds to lock once I have pressed the button. I have got into the habit of not waiting to check that it actually locks because it is very frustrating especially when raining hard as it was today. So I got out, closed the door, then pressed the lock button and ran away to try to get out of the rain. When I returned I noticed that the car was unlocked still.

I have since done some tests and it seems that I might have run away from the car before it had registered that the key fob was present. This is very annoying!

So a heads-up... don't run away from the car once you press the lock button. Wait and let the car think about it and then look for the presence of the fob and think about it some more and then lock before moving.

Doh!

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is confirmation of most of what has been said above. On the US Volt you can set under our configuration screen whether you want just the drivers door to open or all the doors at the touching of the driver's door button. Ray pointed this out but ours can be set independent of multiple pressing of the button. While I only occasionally have to press my driver side door a second time I often have to press the back door twice when I lock the whole car from that door. Like Paul, I have occasionally come back to find my doors still open. The boot or hatch button will also open with several pressings of the button and the rest of the car doors will remain locked if you start with only the boot or hatch button. In the US it is common to set it up to have the horn honk as you walk away to lock the car by pressing the remote. I always felt this was intruding on others hearing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi REB,

On the boot/hatch button I find that it is not a case of pressing it more than once, but more like press and hold and the "hamster" will eventually start turning the wheel and the boot/hatch will then open.

As for the doors I find that I have more issues locking the car than opening it. One press on the drivers door (as I have it set up) will open that door and a second will open all the others. A single press on any door, except the drivers door, will open all the doors.

As for closing it seems the "hamster" is busy shutting down other things, and often I find myself pressing the door button more than once even to kick off the initial lock and pressing it a second time does the deadlock.

One to watch for - if you have the door set to lock automatically as you walk away is that it does not set the deadlock!

There have been occasions where the doors do not auto lock at all, not yet worked out why that happens. Also of the boot/hatch is open the auto door lock does not seem to operate until it is closed.

Not sure if that helps or hinders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like Paul, for me it's having to hang around those couple of seconds whilst the car makes up its mind to lock the doors, also have returned a couple of times to find the car unlocked.
Gary

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Ray,

I would have to agree with your finer points on the rear hatch as I wasn't as scientific as you. I just pressed it multiple times to achieve my end of getting the hatch open rather then just hold it. I did observe that the other doors did not unlock and assumed this was a security feature like valet parking where the valet can start your car but not get into your boot or glove box.

In noting the observations of others it did occur to me to assume Amperas in the EU have the key fob button push that would lock the car, and if you wish, give you an audible honk of the horn. Is this not the case with the Ampera? While I understand the issue being raised with the touch sensitivity of the door button doesn't this become irrelevant if you can just lock and unlock the doors with the RKE transmitter on the key fob or am I missing something?

Ross

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was in and out of my Volt today changing some settings, got out and pressed the door button and the car wouldn't lock but would lock with the key fob. Pressed the door button again and the car unlocked as normal, waited for the time out, pressed the door button again and the car wouldn't lock. Got in the car to check the settings and realised I had got out of the car and left it powered up. Didn't know this is normal and can't find anything in the manual regarding this, if the car had an audible warning like the one when you leave the keys in the car I wouldn't have been scratching my head thinking the door button was faulty.
Mick

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That's odd, I could have sworn my Amp beeps if I open the door with the ignition on.
Don't suppose you had the door open whilst you were tinkering? thereby not triggering an alert by opening the door?
Maybe something else about the way you were using the car caused the alert to shut off...

·
Registered
121 Posts
No, was changing the charging settings jumped out of the car keys in my pocket pressed the door button and nothing happened. Pressed it again nothing happened, tried the key fob button and the car locked. Pressed the button on the door and the door unlocked, so I jumped in the car to check the door lock settings and noticed that the car was still powered up. Turned it off got out and pressed the door button and the door locked as normal. Then went through the whole procedure again to check it out and it was exactly the same with the car still powered up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
We have experienced the handbrake and door problems. Once the drivers door would not lock the car.
We locked it using the passenger door and I then tried the drivers door which then worked as normal.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had the door not locking with the button. I just put it down to yet another issue with the rubbish software. If I thought anything would be done about it then I would report it but to be honest I have given up any kind of hope with Vauxhall actually fixing any of these issues.

To be fair on Vauxhall... they aren't mission critical and from their point of view there is little incentive to do anything about them but from the owners perspective they are very annoying. The software should have been properly tested prior to launch. I am not paid by Vauxhall to do their testing for them but it sometimes feels that is what is happening.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
It looks like I have a problem with my driver's door external button. It can take several attempts to get the car to unlock, so much so that for the last week or so I have been pressing the button on the rear offside door to unlock all the doors and gain entry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have been operating door locks from rear passenger door for a few weeks and had just assumed battery was going in fob. However, having to visit the dealer on yet another matter, I mentioned it to the ampera engineer who was aware that there are two thin prongs in the button which can become brittle. So aware that they had a spare driver's door handle in stock and it is being painted up for fitting within the week. Under Warranty of course.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts