Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Dorchester recently and found a pod point charger pair in the "public" car park at the council offices - both free. I couldn't find the name of the post on the Pod Point app and when I phoned their bloke, he couldn't find it on the app either, but he did find t on another system and said because it was "free" I didn't need to register or anything and he could see I'd been on for about 6 minutes. Good news I thought, bought my (4 hour) pay and display ticket and went about my business. While I was having lunch I checked through Dorchester County Council Parking policy and in there it says that those spaces are free to use (ie no need to pay and display) for an electric car while connected and charging. So had I wasted my money? Or does the fact that when I returned and saw that the charger was flashing that-charging-was-complete (I've no idea how long it had been complete) mean that I need to pay and display because it wasn't actually charging any more. And should I really not have used that particular parking space for 4 hours despite the maximum stay at the car park being all day? There were no signs at the actual site just EV Only painted on the floor. How are we supposed to know "the rules"??

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As Jeff says, tell them what is wrong, politely. If they don't know about a problem they can't be expected to fix it.
Same as anything really - potholes, broken paving, ...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tis a good point, so I'll try and work up the enthusiasm to write. I did wonder though what others do when using chargers in car parks. I've never seen a post with a set of rules on it, but plenty of cars parked and plugged in at various places. How do they know whether to pay for parking as well as leccy? How long do people feel entitled to park in a charging space for?? That kind of stuff ... Are there rules or do you just do what you want and hope the fines aren't too draconian?
And yes, I should be able to tell when the car is finished charging if I check the app on the phone. It doesn't notify so I have to check, and its a BMW app and therefore beyond flakey and not to be relied on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts