Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is such thing as a double domestic ev charge point? An Internet search brings up nothing but I thought it worth asking on here.

My wife has a plug in hybrid which she charges from 13A socket but I am getting a leaf soon and it would be great to be able to to charge both cars together from a proper charger.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a commercial charger, guessing no grant allowed?
You’d get two of their domestic Wallpods a good bit cheaper anyway.

FWIW I put in two chargers as we got two EVs. In the end we don’t use the second one at all, just leave a long lead out and move it between the cars as we come and go. I’d suggest just starting with one, but get your sparks to run cable etc hefty enough to handle a second if you need it some day...

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I would leave the PHEV to its 13 amp socket and just fit one new charger unit for the Leaf.

This reminds me of the guy who had a cat and cut a cat flap in the door for it. Then got a second cat and cut a second flap for that one.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Does anyone know if there is such thing as a double domestic ev charge point? An Internet search brings up nothing but I thought it worth asking on here.

My wife has a plug in hybrid which she charges from 13A socket but I am getting a leaf soon and it would be great to be able to to charge both cars together from a proper charger.

Thanks
There are lots of dual type 2 socket outlet chargers available: most will have load share capability

Eve Double Pro is one

Garo do one

Viridian do a double socket EVSE

Plenty of others available

PS, you might not like the price.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
632 Posts
Also, think about the total load on your electrical supply. When you have two BEV then you probably need at least one of the chargers (or the two socket charger) to be able to throttle back so that the overall limit on the supply (often 60A or 100A) is not exceeded - Zappi for example.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
This reminds me of the guy who had a cat and cut a cat flap in the door for it. Then got a second cat and cut a second flap for that one.
I need to see documented proof of that :)

(The instructions say mine can be programmed for up to 32 cats, but I'm just going to take them at their word...)

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I need to see documented proof of that.
It may be just a legend but there are claims that people have seen two cat holes cut in the door next to each other for Isaac Newton's cat family. A large one for the mother cat and a smaller one for her kittens. He may have been smart and just had a bad day.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Also, think about the total load on your electrical supply. When you have two BEV then you probably need at least one of the chargers (or the two socket charger) to be able to throttle back so that the overall limit on the supply (often 60A or 100A) is not exceeded - Zappi for example.
Sure but I’d probably want to be able to plug both in and then program them to charge at different times overnight, rather than have to choose which to plug in.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
632 Posts
Sure but I’d probably want to be able to plug both in and then program them to charge at different times overnight, rather than have to choose which to plug in.
This issue is that someone (not you) could plug BEVs into both chargers and ask them to charge at the same time. Diversity is not allowed for two chargers being installed. Let's assume you have two 32A chargers, electric ovens and electric showers and a 100A main DNO fuse. You'd be pushing or exceeding the fuse rating. And if you had a 60A or 80A DNO fuse you definitely would. So an installer would refuse to install the two chargers. One way to overcome this is to install a sensor on the input supply and a charger that will reduce the current it takes to keep the total current beneath the DNO fuse rating. It's not whether you could make it work (by programming different charging times) but whether the installation passes the regulations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are lots of dual type 2 socket outlet chargers available: most will have load share capability

Eve Double Pro is one

Garo do one

Viridian do a double socket EVSE

Plenty of others available

PS, you might not like the price.
Thanks for the leads. It seems my cursory research was inadequate! 🙄

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good thought, thanks 👍

·
Registered
Leaf e+
189 Posts
Schneider Wallbox EVLink do dual connection boxes, but they are spendy (~£1000) but some are OLEV. I have a single-socket OLEV compatible one.
Challenge comes that OLEV also mandates installers to specific charge points, and not as many out there are registered as Schneider installers.

They are pretty intuitive and can rate limit between the two sockets... So if you only have a single 32A supply to the charger, it will deliver 32A if only 1 car charging, or split both to 16A.

Otherwise, there are chargers out there (Tesla I know for sure) that can rate limit by a communication link between them.

Can you share some more around how you envisage doing the timing aspect? Would you use the car's timer or expect a charger to have some ability to do this / smart capability?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts