Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted this news article on Zap Map. A 'new' network in Wales, operating on the Genie Point platform, but branded as Dragon Charging. Appears to be currently 22kW AC, focussing on mid and South-Wales. I'm not sure if these are new chargers, or a rebrand.

22kW AC is great for me in the Zoe, but not much cop for anyone else! I guess these locations can't support 50kW DC?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
I can fully understand why rapid chargers mainly get installed in and around areas of higher population, but I just wish someone (preferably Instavolt) would come along and install several pairs (at least) of rapids throughout mid-Wales (like they have done in the Lake District).

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can fully understand why rapid chargers mainly get installed in and around areas of higher population, but I just wish someone (preferably Instavolt) would come along and install several pairs (at least) of rapids throughout mid-Wales (like they have done in the Lake District).
Just need Booths to expend into Wales!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,731 Posts
For a "national" network, they don't seem to have anything at all north of Welshpool, a good 60 miles short of the North Wales coast.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Bejesus those rates are not appealing for AC charging!
50p connection fee AND 30p/kwh.... the price of selling out to a 3rd party instead of running it as a national network i guess hey Welsh Gov....

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus parking charges on top of that!

Mind you, if it leads to a reliable service and good availability, that might be a price worth paying

·
Registered
132 Posts
I experienced 22kw and 50kw Dragon chargers in st dogmaels and Tenby in the Summer. None of the 50kw chargers worked even after calling help desk. St dogmaels had4x 22kw chargers which were useful for all day / overnight charging as parking was not expensive. Of the 4 chargers at least one was not working but they had 4 and were under utilised so plenty to choose from.

not a new network from what I could see. I used my genie card to access them.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wow parking on top as well with those rates! Just takes AlfaPower/Osprey/Instavolt to come in and get some sites and they are done for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hope to find a working rapid next March on my planned route from Worcester to Portmeirion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For my occasional use (eg holiday travel) I would rather see a higher cost applied to rapid chargers if it allowed. 1. Better maintenance/reliability. 2. Investment to allow multiple chargers at same location. 3. Discouraged theuse by opportunists who can instead charge at home.

However, I recognise that this is a rather selfish perspective and does not serve the needs of those that can’t charge at home or need to charge on such rapids on a weekly basis eg for business travel.

I have the impression that ‘Dragon’ is a partnership that has formed between Genie(?) and the various South Wales councils that hold the land rights on municipal carparks. This may have the effect of pushing our other charging networks from these Welsh public locations.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I used some Dragon chargers on a visit to Wales a couple of years ago. I found the managing directors mobile on a website and he rang me back. Turned out useful the next day when the rapid at Carnarvon would not accept payment. The call center were useless so I rang the MD and he sorted it.
Then to cap it all after I got back 5 mins after the charge cut off a local outlander driver had left me a note saying you are not allowed to leave your vehicle while charging! If you are Welsh a know nothing just make up rules and impose them on the English. I pointed out that since he had successfully removed the chademo plug from my van and started his charge he had nothing to complain about.
The rapid was actually in a park and ride.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, we have a couple of them in Newtown now, just a/c ones.
Tesco in Newtown will be putting in charging stations shortly - a rapid plus a few a/c, I would imagine the a/c will be free and the rapid will be cheaper than Dragon..... and with no parking costs.
There is also going to be a Burger King built in part of the current Tesco car park and it looks like they will be some form of charging there also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hope to find a working rapid next March on my planned route from Worcester to Portmeirion.
Portmeirion has a couple of 7kw charge points you can use. Drive past the car park and to the gated entrance and ask nicely. We were given a bunch of tokens for free when we visited this summer.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,975 Posts
Best placed is the Polar unit by the hotel in Welshpool.

Reactions: steveharvey2001

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,599 Posts
Just spotted this news article on Zap Map. A 'new' network in Wales, operating on the Genie Point platform, but branded as Dragon Charging. Appears to be currently 22kW AC, focussing on mid and South-Wales. I'm not sure if these are new chargers, or a rebrand.

22kW AC is great for me in the Zoe, but not much cop for anyone else! I guess these locations can't support 50kW DC?

Hopefully the network will not be reflected by its name. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts