Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my car had lost 4% charge while sitting idle on my drive for 4 days last week. I keep my keys in faraday pouches, so am 100% certain that the car has not been "woken up" unintentionally by the keys. I also have a server running the API monitor tool from this thread, so I know the car was not reporting its status back to the main VW server (every time it does that, the app updates).

Has anyone else noticed this issue when the car is unused? It's not an easy thing to keep track of, especially if using the car regularly. I only noticed it as my car sits unused for most of the week at the moment, due to lockdown.

I guess a possible cause is that the car is recharging the 12v battery when it is experiencing phantom drain itself, but 4% drive battery is around 2.32 kWh, which is quite a lot.

My son's car does not seem to be losing any charge when unused (his is a Life on 0783, mine is a 1st on 0792). I'm currently testing both cars, having taken note of the SOC on Sunday then leaving them both completely untouched until this weekend...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
I noticed that my car had lost 4% charge while sitting idle on my drive for 4 days last week. I keep my keys in faraday pouches, so am 100% certain that the car has not been "woken up" unintentionally by the keys. I also have a server running the API monitor tool from this thread, so I know the car was not reporting its status back to the main VW server (every time it does that, the app updates).

Has anyone else noticed this issue when the car is unused? It's not an easy thing to keep track of, especially if using the car regularly. I only noticed it as my car sits unused for most of the week at the moment, due to lockdown.

I guess a possible cause is that the car is recharging the 12v battery when it is experiencing phantom drain itself, but 4% drive battery is around 2.32 kWh, which is quite a lot.

My son's car does not seem to be losing any charge when unused (his is a Life on 0783, mine is a 1st on 0792). I'm currently testing both cars, having taken note of the SOC on Sunday then leaving them both completely untouched until this weekend...
Mine lost 1% between Friday evening and just now when I plugged it in to charge?

Checking my 12v monitor App, the 12v SoC had been gradually declining, and no intervention from the car to explain it. I suppose I was messing about fitting my split level boot divider for an hour actually, maybe that explains it.

Previous to 0792, I hadn’t noticed any drain but even if is some kind of phantom drain, then 1% over 4 days is not something I’d be concerned with.

Yours sounds a bit more than that though.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
314 Posts

A guy on the UK Facebook group has the same kind of random loss of SoC, his dealer are investigating...

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
I noticed ours can sometimes go up or down a % or 2 don't know if its due to a big change in temperature or the BMS recalibrating but I've haven't noticed any sort of consistant phantom drain although I'd assume there would be one most EVs loose a little charge over time 4% sounds a lot in 4 days though

·
Registered
159 Posts
My car has done this every now and again, since I went to 2.0 after a 12V battery fail.

From the bluetooth battery monitor, I can see when the car chooses to recharge the 12V ... perhaps 4-7 days of being idle.

As the battery completely drained twice, I'm not confident that it is in the best shape, but the local tech explained the monitoring method to me. I reckon it will show up via these tests rather than stranding the car again ....

I'm fairly sure that a recharge can chew through 2%, but perhaps some battery conditioning gets added if the 12V recharge happens when cold.

Edit: I think I too had a 4% drop overnight, very soon after bringing the car back from the 2.0 upgrade. It was very cold then, but I didn't have the monitor installed at that time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bluetooth battery monitor? Can you post details on this please?
There has been a lot of discussion on that in other threads on here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts