Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EV community!

My drive modes on my Passat GTE has stopped working... well sort of anyway.

I'm stuck on E-mode and can't select any other driving modes... the light illuminates only on the E-mode and stays on that. When I charge my car, the car drives in electric mode however, and does not give me the option to change the mode even if I wanted to. The car only drives in electric mode (if electric is available) and hybrid mode.

If there is electric available, the car will drive in electric mode first and when that has ran out, it goes to hybrid mode and does not change unless the car has sufficient electric for it to drive in electric power.

If I have electric and put my foot down (hybrid kickdown), the dials turn blue to show that both the electric and combustion engine are engaged. Electric mode works as it drives in electric mode when I have electricity. Hybrid mode works as I'm always stuck on that mode.
The modes work but I'm not able to select it.

I've spent alot of money on mechanics from recommendations and trying to avoid to go to dealers (as I cant afford it anymore). I've had the buttons replaced, software update and car diagnosed but nothing has resolved this.

Can someone please help me or suggest me on what to do.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don’t have my Passat GTE anymore so I can’t recall in detail, but is there a way to select drive mode through one of the e-settings menu screens in Infotainment Menu somewhere alternatively to pressing the physical button? I assume GTE button has absolutely no affect either? I did hear about buttons failing on another thread somewhere, but if you’ve already had them checked along with wiring loom etc. to that panel then you should be good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sometimes in the morning when I start the car and the infotainment system is booting up, I can't select any other mode neither. It takes a while to load before I can select a different mode. Perhaps it's your infotainment system acting up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply back. I don't think it's the infotainment as I've hard reset it and the modes don't work at all even after a lengthy journey with the car

·
Registered
178 Posts
What year is the car, is it still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer.
If not take out the VW warranty, may just be the best couple of hundred quid spent!
You've probably already spent that in non dealer diagnostics/attempted repairs.

If you want to do it yourself, a code reader is a must, OBDII or VCDS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have spent more on non dealers and i wish I just went straight to dealers. False hope mechanics were giving me...

Warranty has finished but will definitely look into getting Warranty

Cheers mate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts